PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide on Boma

GabbyMitch
04-24-2010, 11:23 AM
I have a dinner ADR here, but am considering cancelling. I'm not a very adventurous eater, and my kids are sort of picky as well. DH will try new things no problem, but I'm just not sure.

I have been to Jiko and enjoyed what I had there (filet) but I'm worried that for the cost of the meal - around $80, we should just go somewhere else.

Does Boma have the same macaroni and cheese as Jiko? What are potatoes with afritude like?

Thanks so much!

LandFan
04-24-2010, 11:47 AM
No, the mac 'n cheese at BOMA is regular mac 'n cheese. I forget what the potatoes are like. We eat here a lot. There is plenty of very good "normal" food for the non-adventurous as well. There is always a carving station and lots of great soups and desserts! We've eaten here with some picky eaters and have never had a problem.

SBETigg
04-24-2010, 12:17 PM
This is a tough one. I love Boma, but I think you have to be willing to try new things (even though, yes, there is a section full of familiar comfort foods). Considering you went to Jiko and enjoyed it, I would say that you could go for it and you might really end up liking it. You really don't have to have an adventurous palate to enjoy many of the foods at Boma. You do have to be able to step out and try them, though. In the end, a lot of things don't taste all that exotic or different, but some do. The food is mostly basic food (beef, pork, chicken, fish, potatoes, greens) not odd ingredients (escargot, ostrich, swiss chard, etc). The difference is in the seasonings and flavors.

If you can't bring yourself to give lots of things at least a taste, then don't do it. But if you do taste a few things, I'm fairly certain you will find a lot to go back for and fill up on.

MinnieMommie
04-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Boma is very good and well liked by many including people who are self described picky eaters. On the other hand others, like my DH who is not adventurous at all, are not as enthusiastic about Boma.

In my experience the food at Jiko and Boma are flavored differently and I find the over all experience to be different. I like Jiko very much and while I have had good experience at Boma the food in general is not my favorite.

Boma offers some amazing choices which I love (including the mac and cheese (no sauce like at Jiko), juice (served at breakfast but which can be requested at dinner), zebra domes and soups) but they flavor their meets in a way that does not appeal to me. The same flavor is on the potatoes and while I love roasted potatoes these were a disappointment for me.

I would go back to Boma if someone in my party wanted to but it is not on the top of my list. The experience is pleasant, the people are gracious and it is a really nice place. The food is plentiful and of good quality. It is just a matter of taste preference. :mickey:

cer
04-25-2010, 09:45 PM
We tried Boma twice. It is a very popular restaurant.

I have allowed myself to admit that I do not care for the food there. There is nothing wrong with it, the flavors are just not to my liking. I found myself returning to the buffet over and over and just not real excited about what was on my plate.

The trip to Animal Kingdom Lodge is an adventure. The resort is amazing, the restaurant is beautiful and the shopping is great.

I'm just not a fan of the food, but I think that is a personal preference.

lighteningqueen
04-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Ok i see you are from Santa Fe. I am from Albuquerque and have lived all over that state. I really do not think you will like it. It is horrible and I mean just plain weird. I love soups and could not find one that I could even eat past the first spoonful. The carving stations meat is more on the raw side I could not get a well done piece for anything. The salds are not just American they are weird. I went away hungry and 30.00 more broke and ate somewhere else. It is not like any other food and if you are unsure i would skip it. of course this is my opinion but i live in Texas now and I know what good food is. My husband will eat anything and I mean anything being a hunter from new Mexico. Wild game etc. he said we will not go back. We gave this place 3 tries and the benefit but the food is just not worth the money for weirdness and I do not mean just because it just taste bad. Just our HO.By the way eat me some good mexican food I miss it so much, but go back and get my sacks of green chili every Sept. Oh yea do not even think of San Angel Inn it is nothing like our food Have fun.. If you want any other advise from one who lives in our area just ask me and I will be honest with you...."Not even Mexico food". Hate to be a basher here but I am not the only one who thinks this way.

MNNHFLTX
04-27-2010, 07:03 PM
Interesting how perceptions can differ....

I'm originally from Minnesota, where food is served relatively bland (compared to other ethnic cuisine, anyway). But I am a very adventurous diner and absolutely love the food at Boma, especially the soups. It is all delicious to me. There are different flavorings used, of course. If you are not a fan of curry, than you will not like several dishes, and other seasonings (like cloves, cinnamon, etc) are used in innovative ways that may not appeal to everyone. But variety is the spice of life, as they say, and if you've never even tried it once, how do you know if you will like it? You probably need to decide for yourself and not rely on someone else's perception. It may surprise you--and if it ends up not being your cup of tea, at least you will have had the experience.

lighteningqueen
04-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Yes, it can be but an mighty expensive one at that. then have to go find yourself something else to eat and spend more money. But try it if you like odd flavors. i am a soup lover and I just could not eat it. I felt bad when they came and took the bowls and plates away full of sample foods. But I did like others said try it, you'll find something but no, not even the Zebra domes were good the last time.