PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West Questions- Help Please

Spang88
04-23-2010, 09:45 PM
We have a trip coming up later this year and will be staying at the Old Key West Resort. Since this is our first trip with 2 children and we will be joined by grandparents, we have chosen the villa setup.

Most reviews from various sources I have seen have been great, but I have been seeing some pop up with regularity about the rooms needing renovation. Any thoughts?

Also, if you have any recommendations on what building to request that would be great. The distance to pools, busses, etc seemed to affect some customer reviews. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

We are staying in a new resort and I am just trying to ease my anxious wife's mind :mickey:

By the way, I am so glad I found this site. It is great!

Rekenna
04-24-2010, 10:05 AM
:magic::pixie: Welcome to Intercot:pixie::magic:

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you, I've never gotten to stay at OKW. But, if it's any consolation, I am greatly envious! :envy:

Someone will come along soon that can offer some great insight, I'm sure. Have fun!:mickey:

Spang88
04-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Thank you!

Checkers
04-24-2010, 03:22 PM
:mickey:We have stayed at OKW many times as it is one of our "homes away from home". The rooms at OKW are being refurbished this year, I believe someone said they have already started with those villas located around the Hospitality House. It generally takes the best part of a year for completion, however, I must tell you that even though the villas are showing wear and tear, they are by no means in shambles. If you get one that has problems, all you have to do is call maintenance to have it repaired.

We usually request a Hospitality House location (which is a bookable one) but in all honesty we have never had a bad location. We also enjoy the Turtle Pond area.

I hope you enjoy your vacation and that you enjoy OKW as much as we do! Btw, the boat to DTD is just great!!

Bamf1000
04-24-2010, 04:37 PM
We stayed at the okw back in may of 2008, and i have got to say the villas are very roomy..we stayed in the 2bdrm villa and it was very convinient because it had a kitchen and a washer dryer combo.. also the walk to the bus stop was short, we were in i belive, turtle pond.. i loved this resort

Spang88
04-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Checkers/Bamf- This is great info, I really appreciate your input.
I kind of thought that around the Hospitality House or Turtle Pond area would be the way to go by looking at the layout.

I could not see a Disney property being that run-down anyway :)

We will definitely take the boat too.

epceddie
04-26-2010, 02:11 PM
OKW is our DVC home resort and we love it. We have always been given very nice rooms in great condition. We like to request a first floor studio or 1BR with a water view in Building 45 or 46. My wife likes to sit on the balcony and watch the boats going by taking people to SSR and DTD.

andreallybadeggs
04-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Haven't yet stayed at OKW; hoping to in the future. Have driven through the property a few times though and really liked the feel of the place. Bet your wife will love it. :mickey:
Welcome to Intercot. It's the best!

Carolanne
04-26-2010, 07:13 PM
First: :welcome:

Second: my mom & I have stayed at OKW 3x and we really enjoy it. Whenever we get the chance to upgrade, she always picks this one. Nice property, quiet...we've never had any issues with it. While it doesn't look brand new at the moment, it's certainly not rundown or decrepit.

Enjoy :mickey: !

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-26-2010, 09:01 PM
OKW is our home resort as well and I bristle when hearing some of the derogatory comments about it.

If you want to be near the main pool and Hospitality House, you can book there. If you want a more peaceful location you can ask for the South Point area (our favorite).
Our group enjoys sitting on the balcony in the morning relaxing and chatting while watching the golfers play below us..

I think you will enjoy it. :thumbsup:

Mickey'sGirl
04-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Well, we stayed at OKW for a week last summer, in a 1BR Villa. We were "given" some points by a friend of a friend, and it was the only location we could use them at booking so late.

We were soooooo pleasantly surprised! OKW is bright and clean and roomy, and the pool is fantastic... We had a great balcony overlooking one of the golf courses and a full sized washer and dryer (which if you have ever met my family is a VERY good thing!). Sure the TV was a little thing tucked into the kitchen island, but I'm not at Disney to watch TV. We LOVED our stay at OKW... so much so that we will be staying there again at the end of May.

I would not hesitate to recommend it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DisneyLove
04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure of the ages of your children, but I would definitely look at the activities offered at Community Hall. One of the things my siblings and I enjoyed best when we were younger (I'm 23 now and have been staying at OKW since I was about 8) were the arts & crafts, games and pool parties offered at community hall. In fact, we looked forward to days off from the parks as much as we did goingto the parks and still do! Some of the arts & craft activities have a small fee, but they offer things like design your own tote, make a magnet, paint a piece of pottery, etc. Grown ups are welcome too. The pool parties (used to be hosted by Mary Ann) at the main pool on Sundays, I think, were also great fun. And if you're just looking for a short break there are games you can check out and borrow and bring back to your room like Sorry or Scrabble, or jumbo checkers, foosball and ping pong at Community Hall. They also have tennis, basketball and volleyball courts if that is more up your alley, and you can get the balls/equipment at Hanks Rent 'n' Return.

Hope this helps, if you have any more specific questions, please ask! We always stay at OKW and love it!

badkitty
04-27-2010, 09:33 PM
I stayed in the Southpoint area (building 52). I was very close to the bus stop and the view was great but I thought the traffic noise from I-4 and Buena Vista Dr was a bit much. Loved the resort though and the quiet pools were great.

DizNee143
04-28-2010, 10:20 AM
OKW is our DVC home resort and we love it. We have always been given very nice rooms in great condition. We like to request a first floor studio or 1BR with a water view in Building 45 or 46. My wife likes to sit on the balcony and watch the boats going by taking people to SSR and DTD.

OKW is my parents home resort also!!..and every time we go and actually stay at OKW..we request those same buildings..we love being able to watch the boats go by also! to me and my family its the best location! :mickey:

Mammabruski
05-05-2010, 11:14 PM
I was looking at the property map for OKW, and I couldn't see any indication of sidewalks/paths. They must be there....

Can anyone tell me if there are paths? Nice wide ones?

Thanks!

ThanxForNoticin
05-06-2010, 11:35 AM
I was looking at the property map for OKW, and I couldn't see any indication of sidewalks/paths. They must be there....

Can anyone tell me if there are paths? Nice wide ones?

Thanks!

There are sidewalks all around the resort. It's very 'walking-friendly'. Most of them are plenty wide enough to handle people and the surrey bikes that you can rent. And if you're looking for a really nice walk, there is a path from OKW all the way to Downtown Disney. If you ask at the front desk, they can point you to the exact location where that path starts. I think it's about 1 mile to DTD.

Spang88
05-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Thank you for your replies, we can't wait for the trip. We didn't put too much stock into the negative comments as the positive comments far outweighed them. But all of your input is appreciated and helps!

Thank you!