PDA

View Full Version : Which one of these would you pick?

southerngirl
04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I apologize, in advance, if this is lengthy, but here are my resort choices:

Boardwalk 1 bdrm villa
Boardwalk studio
Bay Lake Tower studio
Swan

Here is the background:

DH and I decided to take a late July trip (four nights). The original travel party was just going to be two of us, plus our DS (2). Then, we decided to see if the in-laws wanted to come. They like Disney, and we don't see them often, so we figured it would be fun to include them. Of course, they cannot make up their minds and want to wait "a few weeks" to see how things go. I want to book now, so that we can get something on the calendar and have a room.

We typically stay at the Poly in a club level room, but that's cost prohibitive this trip, especially if the in-laws come. So, we thought about the Swan (we'd get an educator discount and an adjoining room special). We stayed there two nights last summer when I was in Orlando on business and thought it was lovely. However, the downside is that we wouldn't have anywhere to cook meals, and since we wouldn't be on DP, that would make things expensive. Our son is a big eater now (no longer a baby like last year), and although my DH and I could get by on having one big meal a day and then snacks in the room, our son could not. I'm thinking the cost of meals alone would obliterate any discount we'd get by staying there versus one of our other options.

Then, we thought about a villa. The contemporary ones would be perfect, since our son loves the MK, but they aren't available. We'd just have a studio. Wouldn't that be really crowded for us if the in-laws come? Plus, I know it's just a kitchenette, not a full kitchen.

The best location available seems to be a one bedroom at the Boardwalk. Has anyone stayed in one of those? Would four adults and a 2 yr old be comfortable in one of those? What are the pools like? It's more expensive than the Swan, but with a kitchen, we could cook breakfast and lunch or dinner and then only eat out one meal a day.

They also have 1 bedrooms at OKW or SS, but I would prefer to be in a location where there is more to do. Our son loves to swim, but he also loves to see characters, be around people, etc. He loved the Boardwalk area last summer, so I think the activities there (and the ability to walk to Epcot or HS) would be a big plus.

Would you please let me know what you all think? I'm getting a little overwhelmed!

PS--I hope this is okay to ask, but has anyone used the ticket agency that sponsors Intercot to purchase tickets? I'm thinking about using that option, because it's cheaper than going through Disney, and we'd get two "extra" days on a three day park hopper.

Seasonscraps
04-22-2010, 06:53 PM
I think a 1BR villa at the BW would suit your needs perfectly. There is plenty of room for all of you. There is a king size bed in the bedroom, a pull out sofa in the living room and there's a pack n play in the closet.

It's nice to have a full kitchen. It's well stocked. You can't beat the location and you are already familiar with the entertainment available on the Boardwalk. They have the feature pool with a nice slide and a hot tub. There's a playground off to the side of the main pool. The quiet pools are just as nice - no life guards though.

It's one of my favorite places to be :D

I used the park ticket sponsor here once and had a terrible experience. I had to beg my bank to agree to a conference call to get them to release two holds (exceeding $1000) they put through my credit card by mistake. If I didn't get my bank to intervene, they said they would keep the hold for 30 days despite the fact that they were paid when the transaction was put through a third time. One mistake was mine, one was theirs but their unwillingness to rectify the situation was IMO worse then the problems that occurred. I think my situation was unique because I don't recall reading a bad review about them on Intercot but you asked and this was my experience.

OogieBoogieMan
04-22-2010, 08:08 PM
The 1BR at BWV makes the most sense to me. The studios at BLT are a shoebox, not a great choice with 4 adults at all. I have never been a big fan of the Swan, feels too much like the Hilton on business trip. SSR and OKW are nice but not nearly as convenient, especially for a short trip. The BWV pool is great too, your son will love it.

I can't speak for the sponsor but I have used another reseller and it was problem free. The savings aren't huge, it looks in your case you will save about $14 a ticket for a 5 day PH versus the gate price. In my mind it is something else to take care of versus just grabbing them at the hotel or park gate. If your time is worth the $60 I don't see a reason not to do it. You will end up with a room key and a pass though. It doesn't bother me but I have seen others complain about carrying more than the room key.

Have fun!

ibrowse17
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Another vote for the villa. While we have never stayed there, that whole water front area is a very cool place:thumbsup:

southerngirl
04-23-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks everyone! We decided last night to book a 1 bedroom villa at the Boardwalk.

Of course, no sooner had I sent the e-mail to Kathy at MJ than my DH looked at me and said "if my parents don't go, I want to stay at the Poly on the club level." You could have knocked me over with a feather when he said that, because it's about $200 more expensive, and my DH is notoriously thrifty. However, we stayed there last Christmas, and we fell in love with it. We'll see what happens!

Seasonscraps
04-23-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks everyone! We decided last night to book a 1 bedroom villa at the Boardwalk.

Of course, no sooner had I sent the e-mail to Kathy at MJ than my DH looked at me and said "if my parents don't go, I want to stay at the Poly on the club level." You could have knocked me over with a feather when he said that, because it's about $200 more expensive, and my DH is notoriously thrifty. However, we stayed there last Christmas, and we fell in love with it. We'll see what happens!

Terrific! That sounds like a win-win situation! :mickey:

Checkers
04-23-2010, 02:08 PM
:mickey:If you end up staying in the 1br at the BWVs, I don't think you will be disappointed. Just having a washer/dryer and a full kitchen is great. It is one of our "homes" and when it is just my DH & me we still like to stay in a 1br!