PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day gift ideas

Mr. Brass Bonanza
04-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Picking Mother's Day gifts has always been a big struggle for me...even though my wife has only had three so far. The past two years she made me these awesome DVDs from Shutterfly. I don't want to copy her, but I want something along the same lines...something unique but rather simple, as we don't have a lot of money to spend. Does anyone have ny ideas?

Thanks!

MizMissy
04-22-2010, 08:48 AM
You can purchase kits at a crafts store (like Hobby Lobby) - either trivets or stepping stones - basically, the idea is to take your child's handprint or footprints to decorate the object. With the stepping stone, it will be making the prints in cement mix, then decorating with stones etc.; the tile trivet, making the prints with paint.
It's not expensive, but it does show effort on your part and is a gift from you and your child and it's always amazing to look back and see how much your child has grown - you actually forget they were that small.
For Mother's Day, my husband/children always give me plants (mostly hanging). It's a tradition - so he doesn't have to be creative and I'm happy because I love receiving new plants.

princessgirls
04-22-2010, 10:26 AM
I always enjoy a gift certificate for a mani/pedi from my local nail salon. Even if you wife isn't really into that, every lady loves a pedicure for flip/flop sandal season!

I also request a gift certificate to Gro-Rite, my favorite garden center. Love planting and having flowers every year.

This year, I am asking for a new garden hose and garden hose storage box. Go Fred Go!!!

I'm sure whatever you get your wife will be lovely and appreciated!
Julie:mickey:

MNNHFLTX
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
You can also use your child's handprints (or footprints, if you want) to make one of a kind apparel. All you need is fabric paint and whatever you want to decorate--t-shirt, hoodie, apron, etc. Spread the fabric paint in a paper plate and have the child press their palm into the paint, then press it on the shirt. You can be creative about how you place the prints and by using additional fabric paint to write something on the shirt or decorate it. We did this for Christmas for my mom years ago, when my son was small. We used his handprints to make the branches of a Christmas tree on a sweatshirt and then added tinsel and ornaments (using more paint). She loved it and wore it every Christmas.

Disney Doll
04-23-2010, 02:55 PM
My DH did the stepping stone kit for my first Mother's Day & it was awesome! Anything the kids can help with would be special. Last year DH bought a collage frame and picked several of his favorite kid pics. It hangs in our playroom. Another meaningful gift!

d_m_n_n
04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Snapfish (I know other companies do it as well, but this will print straight to a local Staples...no shipping) has the photo collages you can make. Just select up to 20 pics and they place them for you. Then you can mount it in a less expensive poster frame :D I love the one that I have!!!

thrillme
04-23-2010, 04:07 PM
1. The hand thing can be kinda cute...especially if you perhaps do one every year...see how their little hands grow. Maybe do it on a the back of a door or something you can take with you should you move.

2. My Mom's favorite thing was a picture of my baby on a T-Shirt. Really wasn't espensive at all. I know at office supply stores and Sam's etc...you can buy the iron on paper that you just run through an ink jet printer or you can simply take a photograph to a T-Shirt shop and let them do it for you. It only ran about $25. Buy a box of this paper and the kids can have fun with it later. Craft stores and Walmart have a very reasonably priced T-Shirts.

3. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE instead of a lot of this stuff...a gift certificate for a Massage or a pedicure (right now as I type this...the "massage" is winning out)...these are only $25-$40...at least around here there are a lot of massage places that have some really reasonable prices...not every "massage" has to be at a SPA to be wonderful.

DisneyDog
05-05-2010, 03:23 PM
For me, I find that life is always so hectic, that the best present is to spend a special day with my DH and DS7. This year they are taking me to an arboretum and out to dinner. I don't need a gift, just their time and company.

Believe it or not, my DS was invited to a birthday party on Mother's Day -- for the second year in a row. I let him go last year because I RSVP'ed before I realized what day it was. But this year I said no way. I hated that he wasn't with me last year. All I want on Mother's Day is to be with my family. I wasn't going to let him get away again this year.