PDA

View Full Version : How busy is WDW in August?

holsteindoctor
04-21-2010, 10:54 PM
My wife and I want to take our daughter (4 going on 7) to WDW in August. How busy are the crowds this time of year and would one week be better than another? Unfortunately this is about the only month we can go so the down months are out. I already can imagine the long lines for rides, autographs, etc. Is any week going to be less crowded than another (2nd vs 3rd)? Thanks.

kakn7294
04-21-2010, 11:24 PM
It's busy, after all, it's summer and many of us are going just because the kids don't have school and such. The crowds do lessen with each week and it is manageable, especially if you utilize FP.

SBETigg
04-22-2010, 12:01 AM
The later in August, the lighter the crowds. The heat can be pretty intense, but overall, it's not a bad time to go. Especially the third and fourth weeks. You want to stay hydrated, use sunscreen, and find opportunities to get out of the sun, especially at midday.

Disneymom4ever
04-22-2010, 07:30 AM
We went the third week of August one year, and the crowds really weren't that bad. I've also heard the later, the better, as people are getting ready for school (if not starting) by the end of August. What I do remember, is the heat!! Personally, it was tough for me, I just don't do well in that heat and humidity, but some people do fine. Just remember, lots of water, and A/C when you can. My kids loved those misting fans you put around your neck, they really helped. :mickey:

elmjimmlm
04-22-2010, 08:09 AM
We were just there Aug. 16-23 and it was not bad at all... It was during free dining so most of the crowds were at the CS restaurants... We had no problem getting onto rides at all... The heat would be the only negitive... Have a great time!

faline
04-22-2010, 09:08 AM
As others have noted, the later in the month you go, the better the crowds will be. Two years ago, we left just before Labor Day and the crowds were easy to handle and there were not many long waits. Last year, we went one week ealier into August (due to the upcoming end of annual passes) and found the crowds to be much larger. We were still able to accomplish a lot, particularly if we got to the parks early in the morning but, often left mid-day or mid-afternoon as I just got tired of weaving through people in the parks.

PercyPug
04-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Here in Georgia, we go back to school August 9th, so I agree with the later in the month, the better!

Julie_Mouse
04-22-2010, 09:40 AM
I definitely enjoyed myself in August 2007 (we went the last week, 19-27th). Mind you, I was 20 and I was there with my 20-year old friend. But the parks were full of families with young children, and we discovered a couple of things that helped beat the crowds and heat:
a) to deal with the heat, bring a water bottle, take frequent detours through air-conditioned attractions/stores, take frequent breaks, and use fastpass (to avoid standing in the heat for too long)
b) to deal with the crowds, utilize fastpass, have a touring plan, and DO take advantage of that afternoon-thunderstorm time to do the attractions, because a lot of people will just head back to the resort. Just throw on a poncho! FInally, definitely get to sleep early so you can get up early, not only to take advantage of lower crowd levels, but also because the heat is more bearable earlier in the morning :)

Enjoy yourself! :mickey: