PDA

View Full Version : Very Specific Contemporary Balcony Door Question

Goofy4TheWorld
04-21-2010, 10:28 PM
I am fully aware of the fact that I am the father of a wild child. He has no fear, or any sense of boundaries. He puts the terrible in front of twos. I accept full responsibility for those traits...

That being said, I am actually waking up in the middle of the night thinking about how to child-proof our MK room at the Contemporary. My biggest concern is the sliding balcony door, and more particularly, my son finding his way on the other side of that door. I have been looking closely at every video and picture I can find on the web looking for a way to child-proof it, and something caught my eye that gives me great hope. It looks like there may be two locking mechanisms on these sliding doors; one at traditional door-handle height, and a second one near the top of the door. Is this true, is there a second locking mechanism located way to far up the door for a two-year-old to reach (not that he won't try)?

Any feedback would be most appreciated. :mickey:

Also, in a slightly related question, are the doors going to the bathroom sliding doors or traditional doors with a door handle? My son loves to play in the toilet, so I need to figure out how to keep him out if I can.

As long as I can keep him off the balcony I will let him play in the toilet all day long if I have to, but keeping him out of both would be nice! ;)

cer
04-22-2010, 07:41 AM
I don't know, we have never stayed at the Contemporary. But I just wanted to say, "Bless your heart!" And know this too shall pass...

mouseketeer mom
04-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Yes, there are two locking mechanisms on the balcony doors, one is way up top. He would have to climb on a chair to do so.
I'm sorry, I don't recall the bathroom door handles.

Goofy4TheWorld
04-22-2010, 08:40 AM
I don't know, we have never stayed at the Contemporary. But I just wanted to say, "Bless your heart!" And know this too shall pass...

Thanks so much for your kindness! While he has not done this kind of stuff lately, about a month ago he went through a phase where he would get up and explore the house every night. I am a super-light sleeper, and he still managed to ease out of his crib and move a chair so that he could dump the coffee out on the counter then take the water sprayer from the sink and wash it (and himself) all down with water. Another night he found that the lock had been left off of the refrigerator door so he opened it up and ate cold spaghetti straight out of the pot (I actually had the clarity to video that one).

While we all laugh (mostly) about it, his lack of fear scares me death. I have a feeling that I will probably be called to to Juvenile Hall before he makes it to 18!

Yes, there are two locking mechanisms on the balcony doors, one is way up top. He would have to climb on a chair to do so.
I'm sorry, I don't recall the bathroom door handles.

Knowing that there are two locks takes a load off my mind! While we won't intentionally let him out of our sight, sometimes my wife and I both think the other one is watching, so this helps tremendously. Not that my son won't spend all week trying to move a chair over there, but I can handle that easily!

tmosier
04-22-2010, 09:22 AM
As long as I can keep him off the balcony I will let him play in the toilet all day long if I have to, but keeping him out of both would be nice! ;)

:laughing: and :ack:

vicster
04-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh - so glad I'm done with that!:number1:

BrerGnat
04-22-2010, 09:40 AM
I have TWO of those kids! Yes there is a lock up high at Contemporary, as well as every other Disney resort we've stayed in. Our boys have not been able to get to those locks. BUT we do have to remove chairs in the room because they can and will climb them to reach. Our solution is to put the chair outside on the balcony at night. During the day we watch them well and have a hard rule against them being on the balcony without a parent.

wildernesslady
04-22-2010, 03:55 PM
Oh my thanks for the laugh about the toilet. I really needed it today. I have the same concerns about the doors. We are taking our 2 yr old grandson next year and were debating about staying at BLT but I was fearful of the balcony. I know it is build safely, but I would like to know there is no escape possible for him. Thanks have a great time.

Goofy4TheWorld
04-22-2010, 09:08 PM
:laughing: and :ack:

Laugh all you want, but we might just be the family with the screaming kid sitting next to you at LeCellier one of these days! :thedolls:

:mickey:

Goofy4TheWorld
04-22-2010, 09:12 PM
Our solution is to put the chair outside on the balcony at night.

That's a good idea I hadn't thought about, thanks!

LVT
04-23-2010, 02:44 PM
I can sit by you with impunity. 2 hearing aids become expensive earplugs when off.

Patricia
04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Try the Lid-Lok.

It's small and can travel with you to keep toilets closed with no adhesives or hardware to add. It works on most toilets and is difficult for children to remove.

Goofy4TheWorld
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Try the Lid-Lok.

It's small and can travel with you to keep toilets closed with no adhesives or hardware to add. It works on most toilets and is difficult for children to remove.

I have never heard of that, but sounds like an excellent solution to my problem (since it appears plain old child-proof door-knob wraps won't work at the CR.

Thanks for the tip!

Goofy4TheWorld
04-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I have another question for those that have been....

Time after time, one of the tips that I see often here on Intercot is to bring a shoe-rack to hang over the bathroom door to hold all of your toiletries. Are the bathrooms at the Contemporary designed in a way that makes this unnecessary (like the bathroom have plenty of shelving or cabinetry for "stuff") or would this having a shoe-rack over the door still be a good thing to have at the CR.

I hesitate to bring one because it looks like the CR may have a sliding door to enter the bathroom, so the shoe-rack idea wouldn't work there.

:mickey: