PDA

View Full Version : We are leaving in 4 days - what happens when a thunderstorm...

Ksmith75
04-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Hey there, we leave on Sunday!!!! There is a chance of pretty good t-storms monday morning...what happens when you are waiting in line to get into the MK at park opening and a bad thunderstorm goes through - just curious - the past 3 years we went - we only saw a little bit of rain twice....

DiannaJ
04-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Put on the poncho and find a place out to hide for a few minutes it will pass....:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
04-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Yep. Just wear a poncho for Monday and have a good time. Some of the rides won't go during heavy rain, but most things will keep right on running.

Scar
04-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Think of it this way... would you rather be at WDW during thunderstorms, or at work during thunderstorms. :D

Touchdown
04-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Go to an attraction first that will have an indoor queue and is an indoor ride/show (pretty much anything but Splash, BTMRR, CoP (outdoor queue,) Tea Cups, Dumbo or Cinderella's Golden Carousel.

ILoveLegos
04-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Step inside a shop (they are all over of course) and try not to buy anything! :secret:

Beauty908
04-21-2010, 05:11 PM
If you can, go to DHS on a rainy day, a lot of the attractions are indoor. Embrace the poncho and don't be afraid of getting wet. In fact, play in some rain. Another plus about rainy days is the crowds go down in the park. Don't let a little rain ruin your day!

Daisy'sMom
04-21-2010, 06:17 PM
Since they are saying only a 40% chance of thunderstorms, don't worry. This time of year we get the passing storm and it's over quickly. Buy a poncho, if it is a thunderstorm, go indoors. Florida is pretty brutal when it comes to lightning and people outdoors.:mickey:

lighteningqueen
04-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Poncho all the way. Shop or go into a building. But I had some real concerns when we went in 2008. They were telling us that morning on the news that tornados would be possible and probable. So of course Texas born and raised in it was terrified of them and when we hit main street there was a older Cm standing on the curb near a store and I had to ask him. IF a tornado hits or is coming what or where do we go. He told me.... Mamm you don't worry about a thing. There are doors and places all over this park that will open up and we will assist you in going down underground to be out of harm. Go have a great day and do not worry. WELL.... then all I could do is look and see the nearest duck in place never could figure it out but I sure trusted him...One did hit about a mile outside the park. But I guess we had the hands of God protecting us in the Magic Kingdom.

steamboat52
04-22-2010, 12:34 AM
We're leaving Sunday, too! I'm so excited!

ChipNDale79
04-22-2010, 08:35 AM
We leave Saturday, can not wait!!

VWL Mom
04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
IF a tornado hits or is coming what or where do we go. He told me.... Mamm you don't worry about a thing. There are doors and places all over this park that will open up and we will assist you in going down underground to be out of harm.

That's pretty interesting :thumbsup:

marlaine
04-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Don't foret to pack extra shoes in case of getting caught in a storm! Last year we got caught in a huge downpour on our first day there. Our gymshoes were wet for 2 days. With the humidity in Florida, they took forever to dry. :thumbsup:

TinyDancer
04-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Remember that a lot of shops are connected on the inside, a great way to get from one end of Main St or down the beginning of DHS on the inside. Also, as for shoes, stuffing them with paper towels, newspaper, or washclothes at night really helps **** the moisture out! Be careful of flip flops, though, because they can be very slippery!!!!

mjm12000
04-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I Echo everyone else and say throw on a Poncho and wear sandles and have fun splashing in the puddles while everyone else runs for cover. We don't get thunderstorms in Vancouver BC where I am from so we always just stay out and watch the storm...

disneydementia
04-22-2010, 11:29 AM
It's the WDW newbie again that is coming May 29th and I'm confused about the ponchos. I get that there is going to be rain but don't you get very hot in a plastic poncho?:confused:

Gregandmel
04-22-2010, 11:40 AM
We leave Saturday, can not wait!!

We leave on SAturday too and will be staying at POFQ!!! We'll probably "see" each other and not even know it!

Strmchsr
04-22-2010, 11:46 AM
It's the WDW newbie again that is coming May 29th and I'm confused about the ponchos. I get that there is going to be rain but don't you get very hot in a plastic poncho?:confused:

When it's pouring rain you don't worry too much about getting hot. Just take it off when the rain stops because then, yes, it can get very hot. Also, when you're going at the end of May is the start of the sea breeze thunderstorm season where almost every afternoon a thunderstorm fires up (between 3-5 pm). You do NOT want to walk around in these thunderstorms as they are very heavy on lightning. Just find a place to chill for 30ish minutes until it passes.

Touchdown
04-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Even better then a poncho is for you to invest in a quality rain coat, because they actually breathe and allow you to be comfortable in hot rain.

CU Tiger
04-22-2010, 12:19 PM
As said above, Unless it is lightening, grab a poncho and go:rain:. The crowds die down, lines are shorter, and the rain will cool you off.:mickey:

Ksmith75
04-22-2010, 12:59 PM
How about when you are waiting in line at the park opening...do they let people in earlier if a bad storm is happening. we are all set with ponchos....we leave on sunday and are staying at the por - so excited!

mjm12000
04-22-2010, 01:02 PM
I don;t think they would open the park earlier to let people seek shelter, you could always head to the bus or monorail stations for cover or if your really adventurous and have a few minutes run over the contemporary hotel and check out the concourse etc until the storm passes.

Kaps
04-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Wait for it too pass. Find shelter if available. Storms pass quick.

Captain_Nemo
04-22-2010, 07:54 PM
I am also arriving on Sunday!!! :mickey: °o°

garymacd
04-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Put on the poncho and find a place out to hide for a few minutes it will pass....:thumbsup:

Know what happens if you don't put on a poncho?

You get wet!

And you still have fun!