PDA

View Full Version : cinco de mayo at epcot?

rainbodragon
04-21-2010, 01:25 PM
anyone know if there will be anything happening at the mexico pavillion for cinco de mayo? :marg:

Scar
04-21-2010, 02:23 PM
They will be selling Margaritas and other beverages, selling Mexican food, and selling Mexican souvenirs. There will be a Mariachi band playing, and a little boat ride.

But if you mean will there be anything different than normal celebrating The Battle of Puebla, I don't think so other than maybe a few more drunk people. Cinco de Mayo is not celebrated in most of Mexico. Here, It is just day for Mexican Americans to celebrate their heritage, and an excuse for Americans to have a reason to drink (as if we needed one.)

rainbodragon
04-21-2010, 03:04 PM
wow, umm, ok.

GreenB
04-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Dear Scar:
As the title of this post says:

Ain't that the truth!!

Being a Mexican and living in Mexico, I can tell you that, besides having a long weekend, nobody really celebrates the battle of Puebla. I've never understood why the rest of the world celebrates a Mexican holiday that the Mexicans don't celebrate!! And this doesn't only happen in the USA or Canada, it happens in Europe as well.
You must've realized that such celebration usually takes place in or around a bar or club.

Pirate Granny
04-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Well...I was there a few years ago...and Mexico had mouse ear hat with Cinco de mayo written on it...I know as I got my SIL one. I know for St. Patrick's Day they had hats and T-shirts in the UK...check around...don't know about special activities...you could call EPCOT Guest Services to inquire?
:pirate:

rainbodragon
04-22-2010, 03:44 PM
thanks Pirate Granny, i was just wondering, since i was going to be there.

didnt know it was such a sore subject. :(

wire0monkey
04-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Dear Scar:
As the title of this post says:

Ain't that the truth!!

Being a Mexican and living in Mexico, I can tell you that, besides having a long weekend, nobody really celebrates the battle of Puebla. I've never understood why the rest of the world celebrates a Mexican holiday that the Mexicans don't celebrate!!

In the US, Mexicans celebrate it to remind them of where they came from.

St. Patricks' Day wasn't celebrated that much in Ireland, either, before Irish Americans turned it into a big holiday to celebrate their ethnic background. It wasn't a public holiday in Ireland until 1903 and there wasn't a parade in Dublin until 1931. The Irish in America started making a big deal about it before the American Revolution.

And there's nothing like a drinking holiday to endear an ethnic group to the rest of the American melting pot. In another 20 years, there will be hundreds of t-shirts and buttons sold for Cinco de Mayo that say "Kiss Me, I'm Mexican!" It's silly and shallow, but harmless and good spirited.

Scar
04-22-2010, 04:01 PM
... didnt know it was such a sore subject. :(There's nothing "sore" about it. I never said people shouldn't celebrate it. Just giving my opinion on why Americans do, and why Disney (The Mexican Pavillion) dosen't.

Scar
04-22-2010, 04:13 PM
By the way rainbodragon, I'm going to be there too. If your willing to let me buy you a :beer: or:marg: , just let me know. :thumbsup:

GreenB
04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
In the US, Mexicans celebrate it to remind them of where they came from.

St. Patricks' Day wasn't celebrated that much in Ireland, either, before Irish Americans turned it into a big holiday to celebrate their ethnic background. It wasn't a public holiday in Ireland until 1903 and there wasn't a parade in Dublin until 1931. The Irish in America started making a big deal about it before the American Revolution.

And there's nothing like a drinking holiday to endear an ethnic group to the rest of the American melting pot. In another 20 years, there will be hundreds of t-shirts and buttons sold for Cinco de Mayo that say "Kiss Me, I'm Mexican!" It's silly and shallow, but harmless and good spirited.

Dear wire0monkey
You have a VERY good point, which I had not realized about until now.

Regards.

GreenB
04-23-2010, 12:37 PM
thanks Pirate Granny, i was just wondering, since i was going to be there.

didnt know it was such a sore subject. :(

Dear rainbodragon:
Not at all!
Your question is totally fine!!
My post is just about a personal opinion that I have never understood. Now it makes a little more sense.
But your question is very very VALID.

Enjoy your stay in WDW.

Regards.

plutosnana
04-23-2010, 12:45 PM
rainbodragon u freaked me out for a second, when i saw cinco de mayo (which i never have heard of but now i have!) I thought u were Spanish. Phew!:D

mook3y
04-23-2010, 12:54 PM
anyone know if there will be anything happening at the mexico pavillion for cinco de mayo? :marg:

Well, I know for sure that there will be consumption of at least 2 margarita's and 1 shot of tequila for sure... :D

Can't wait!

TheRustyScupper
04-23-2010, 01:35 PM
I can tell you that, besides having a long weekend, nobody really celebrates the battle of Puebla.

1) I spent four years building and running two manufacturing plants in Puebla.
2) It was the only state and city where this was celebrated.
3) But, in Puebla, it was a REAL party.
4) Whew!