PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis trip advice?

Disney OB RN
04-20-2010, 03:08 PM
I am needing advice for fun things to do in St. Louis for a family with a six and eight year old for next month. Thanks!

Strmchsr
04-20-2010, 04:14 PM
The zoo, frontier museum and the arch, Union Station, seeing the Clydsdales, and even a tour through the Busch brewery can be very interesting for kids (though no samples! :D). Maybe take in a Cardinals game if they are in town.

luvnwdw
04-20-2010, 06:04 PM
as in first posters reply there is a lot to do in St. Louis, but if your days are not tied completely to St Louis ( and you have a day to spare) you might try going a little farther north and go to Hannibal, MO!!! yup home of Mark Twain, see fun info about Tom Sawyer-Becky Thatcher and Huck Finn,
there is a riverboat called the Mark Twain serves a delicious dinner while cruising up and then down the mighty Mississippi.
See the Unsinkable Molly Browns birthplace
whatever you decide to do have a wonderful and safe trip

wire0monkey
04-22-2010, 04:05 PM
I live in St. Louis and have two boys 5 and 7. If it were me, I would make these a priority:

1. the City Musuem
2. the Magic House
3. the St. Louis Zoo (it's free and has been voted as one of the best zoos in the US)
4. Crown Candy Kitchen

Aurora
04-22-2010, 05:48 PM
We just went over Spring Break and here's the link to what others suggested for us:

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=169134

Our absolute favorite was the City Museum. It's beyond description, completely unique. Check out their website for a glimpse of what it's like. We would absolutely make a trip from Chicago to St. Louis again just for that.

MarkC
04-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I would concur with the City Museum and Magic House. I would also highly recommend the St. Louis Science Center, which is right across the street from the zoo. I have 2 boys and that was our favorite place to visit (my in laws are in St. Louis so we've been there 100 times or so). But the other places are very nice as well. You can also check out Grants Farm. The nice thing is most of these places are cheap or free, except you might pay only to park, etc.

magicalmom
04-30-2010, 06:31 PM
The Arch is not free, or even cheap, but the view is amazing, and the exibits on how they engineered the pods you ride in are fascinating, if your guys are into how things work.

You shouldn't miss lining up at Ted Drew's for concretes - serious ice cream!

There's a planetarium. Also, if you're an amusement park fan - St. Louis is a fairly easy drive to Six Flags (I think it's Mid-America?) (It's 25 years since I've been there, so I can't tell you what they have)

I'm not sure if St. Louis is close enough to Branson to make a day trip? (We never got there)

There used to be boat tours of the Mississippi River, and there was also a restaurant (near the Arch) in an actual showboat paddle wheeler.

Have fun in St. Louis -

Superzeus84
05-01-2010, 09:20 AM
I am needing advice for fun things to do in St. Louis for a family with a six and eight year old for next month. Thanks!

I live in St Louis and I can tell you that there are a lot of exciting things to do. First of all since you are going as a family I would recomend you look into "Grants Farm" it is owned and operated by Anhauser Busch errrrr Inbev. They have a ride through a wildlife preserve and kind of a mini zoo as well. Each adult is given 2 free alcoholic drinks(Inbev products, usually 10-15 diff choices) and kids are offered soft drinks. Across the street from Grants farm is Grants House, which is ulysses S grants home. All in all it is a great experiance and only costs $8 per Vehicle(everything else is free and included)

I would definatly recomend you go to "Forrest Park" as well. Everything inside of the park is free and can be a really fun day. There is a wonderful zoo, childrens science center,Art Museum, Missouri History center. All are a lot of fun!

As far as downtown St Louis goes, the arch is neat however i believe and dont qoute me, but it is around 15-20 dollars per adult and around 8-10 per child. Can get pricey pretty quick, the view is neat but i do not believe it is worth the price(Just my opinion).

When are you going?

If you are wanting to go to a cardinals game, let me know. I have a TON of coupon codes for cheap tickets.

Let me know if you need opinions or advice on anything.:thumbsup:

Superzeus84
05-01-2010, 09:22 AM
4. Crown Candy Kitchen[/QUOTE]

Are you wanting the tourists to get shot?!?!?!?!

Genie1953
05-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Yep....City Museum is a must do....especially with kids. This museum is not your typical museum....and the previous poster is correct...it is beyond description. Go to their webiste to get a better idea what it is all about. Six Flags is a great amusement type park and one of the best things about it is the attached water park. Your ticket to six flags also includes entrance to the water park too. One of the posters also mentioned Hannibal....that is really cool too and just a short drive north of St. Louis.

wire0monkey
05-07-2010, 04:24 PM
4. Crown Candy Kitchen

Are you wanting the tourists to get shot?!?!?!?![/QUOTE]

*shrug* People in my office go there all the time, with their kids.

wire0monkey
05-07-2010, 04:25 PM
I'm not sure if St. Louis is close enough to Branson to make a day trip? (We never got there)

No. It's 5 hours from St. Louis to Branson.

Mendelson
05-08-2010, 03:51 PM
I took a cab to Crown Candy late in the evening when I was there in January and didn't feel unsafe in the least outside of it. That part of town looks run down, but it's a great, old-fashioned place and a St. Louis landmark, from what I understand, and I'd say worth a trip for the famous shakes, which is why I went.

For a city of St. Louis' declining stature, it has a tremendous art museum, but depending on how you've raised your kids, may or may not want to visit here.

Disney OB RN
05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
WOW, thanks for all of the wonderful advice & tips!!!!!!:number1:

wire0monkey
05-19-2010, 03:00 PM
One other thing to know is that the stuff in Forest Park is (mostly) free. Admission to the Zoo is free. Admission to the St. Louis Art Museum is free. Admission to the Science Center is free.

Certain exhibits may have a small admission fee, and you might have to pay for parking, but general admission is free.

Grant's Farm (children's petting zoo) is also free, as is Laumeier Sculpture Park.

Cahokia Mounds (on the Illinois side) is a World Heritage Site, and it's also free.

Katzateer
05-20-2010, 07:17 AM
My girls loved the city museum and the sculpture park. I love the botanical gardens and Purina Farms.

St. Louis is a great town to visit - hope you have fun!

bayouprincess
06-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Thank you all for your great advice and previous experiences. We had a great time in St. Louis! The City Museum was the overall winner. That place is amazing! We went to the science center and Magic House. The family will definetely return, I have to say that the parts of St. Louis I saw was the cleanest city I've ever been too outside of Indianapolis but I am from Louisiana:) We know what messes look like down here. A special thanks to my friend disney OB RN for telling me about this site.

NJGIRL
06-14-2010, 09:55 AM
Glad you had a good time. If you get a chance try to post a trip report for everyone to read. :mickey:

wire0monkey
07-08-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm glad you had fun.