PDA

View Full Version : What Are They Waiting For!!!

Goofy Pluto
04-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Sorry, just had to voice my frustration that Disney hasn't announced any specials for the fall yet. We have a trip already booked but could cancel it and change our plans if they don't come out with something good. We have a house booked the week before and could extend it a week more right now but it could get booked up. I wish they would make up their minds and just let us know!

vicster
04-19-2010, 03:15 PM
We received a pin code last week for 40% off our resort (September) which I grabbed up. We're staying at WL so 40% off was better for us than free dining (just my DH and me).

faline
04-19-2010, 03:30 PM
It's still unknown what, if anything, Disney will offer for the fall months.

Ms. Mode
04-19-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't base my trips on their discounts, it's my favorite place to visit so that's where I a want to spend my vacation. If they offer a discount that just makes it better; truthfully though we have never gotten a discount and don't expect to for our next trip (which is already scheduled).

I've read that WDW may cut back on the discounts this year. I hope that's not a game breaker for you. :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
04-19-2010, 05:04 PM
If by fall, you mean October-November-December, I wouldn't look to any discounts being announced in the near future. Historically specials for that time of year are not released until mid-August.

happy day
04-19-2010, 05:11 PM
I will only go to disney if I get a discount. So far I have for every trip.

Kennywife
04-19-2010, 08:36 PM
As someone who never got to go to Disney until my honeymoon (29), I go as often as I can with or without a discount. If I get one, that's fine. If not, I go during off-season and stay in values.

Anna

Julie_Mouse
04-19-2010, 10:02 PM
We have a trip already booked but could cancel it and change our plans if they don't come out with something good.

Just FYI I've read on here and on other boards that Disney may be basing their decision about whether or not to offer free dining (or other specials) on the number of bookings that exist in the system currently. In other words, if they see that bookings are not way down, they might proceed without offering any discounts :(

That said, if you have a trip planned and you want to go no matter what the cost, I'd go :mickey: But if you are really against paying full price, well ... then canceling your trip plans (or at least canceling for now) may have 2 upsides:

1) Could increase the chance of Disney offering a discount
2) You will save yourself the money you would have paid for the vacation if they don't offer the discount

Best of luck with the decision! :mickey: I know well how painful it is to cancel WDW vacation plans :sad:

DizneyRox
04-20-2010, 05:34 AM
The above is correct. Discounts are used to get people to vacation, when folks book as a placeholder so they can apply the discount to their reservation, they are actually making a discount less likely to happen.

Oger has already stated that discounting is hurting their profits and he wants to scale it back. The economy seems to be picking up even if it's just a little, so I really don't expect much of anything to hit regarding real discounts.

The best way to force their hand would be to cancel existing plans and to lower occupancy levels in the resorts. If they seem low enough, there may be something offered.

I wouldn't rule out a PIN code release for something. Those have been targeted in the past, and there's no suing they couldn't do it again. Would be simple to send to people that haven't been or don't have something booked, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how this game of chicken turns out. I suspect most people won't cancel bookings, because in reality they are going regardless.

cantgetenoughdisney
04-20-2010, 09:11 AM
If by fall, you mean October-November-December, I wouldn't look to any discounts being announced in the near future. Historically specials for that time of year are not released until mid-August.

We have booked the free dining in September the past 4 years, and it always came out in April and had to be booked by June. This year, we are going next week actually, but still holding out to see if the free dining comes for September. Haven't booked anything YET. :mickey:

vicster
04-20-2010, 09:17 AM
We have booked the free dining in September the past 4 years, and it always came out in April and had to be booked by June. This year, we are going next week actually, but still holding out to see if the free dining comes for September. Haven't booked anything YET. :mickey:

I'm surprised no free dining yet. We did get 40% off WL so I'm happy with that. I think when we go in September if they offer the bounce back we would be wise to book it for next year just to be safe.

princessgirls
04-20-2010, 09:43 AM
This was the first year in about 4 or 5 that no offer for free dining came out in April for late summer/early fall.

I was told by my friend that Disney is scaling way back on offers, and I have seen it for myself this year.

I agree with DisneyRox...people who were going to book a vacation will.
Those waiting for a special, well...maybe not.
Julie:mickey:

vicster
04-20-2010, 09:47 AM
I agree with DisneyRox...people who were going to book a vacation will.
Those waiting for a special, well...maybe not.
Julie:mickey:

I agree - while the free dining is nice not getting it is not going to keep me away. We've gone many many years without free dining. There are other ways to cut expenses if you really want to go.

Jen1984
04-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Not sure if this helps or hinders you, but on the Disney UK site we have been offered Free dining plan for some time now, from 5th July- 18th Nov, providing you book by 2nd August and include tickets in initial booking. We also have dates for next year, to be booked by Nov 1st. Hope you find a special offer!

MNNHFLTX
04-20-2010, 11:03 AM
We have booked the free dining in September the past 4 years, and it always came out in April and had to be booked by June.Right--and I still think it's a possibility that either free dining or some offer will be released for the first part of September. But for the true fall months we probably won't see any deals for a while.:mickey:

cantgetenoughdisney
04-20-2010, 03:27 PM
I'm hoping IF the free dining does come out, that it goes into October like it did last year. I would like to wait until the end of September, beginning of October for our trip.

Dznygrl79
04-20-2010, 08:04 PM
I was offered free dining in Sept/Oct/Nov via a pin, but they even said spots are limited, when I called to book I could not get into any value with my pin so I passed.
My Auntie in England is booked but they had the offer early this year (I wanna say she booked in Feb)

Kennywife
04-20-2010, 11:05 PM
I agree - while the free dining is nice not getting it is not going to keep me away. We've gone many many years without free dining. There are other ways to cut expenses if you really want to go.

:clappy: TY! I never got to go until I was 29 and on my honeymoon. I've made going a priority and if I get a discount, that's great. If not, it will not stop me from going.

Anna

Polynesian Dweller
04-20-2010, 11:39 PM
Right--and I still think it's a possibility that either free dining or some offer will be released for the first part of September. But for the true fall months we probably won't see any deals for a while.:mickey:

Maybe as QS FD but for table service I don't see what the point would be. Yesterday, was the 180 day mark for booking ADRs for the third week of October. So if they gave it for Aug and Sept could you even make ADRs? Likely not. And no it will be difficult for most of October.

To the OP,Iger said he'd cut back and to this point it looks like he's going to. In the hospitality business you have to stop promotions when people start to expect it. Otherwise, how do you get people to buy your service at a non-discount. So from my hotelier background, I won't be surprised if the promotion is only QS at most.

Goofy Pluto
04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Heck, I'll take QS! I just need to know!

The issue is we are trying to do this trip as cheaply as possible and staying off-site would be more economical if they are not going to do anything. But I just need to know what the deal is!

mom2-3princesses
04-21-2010, 03:00 PM
The above is correct. Discounts are used to get people to vacation, when folks book as a placeholder so they can apply the discount to their reservation, they are actually making a discount less likely to happen.

Oger has already stated that discounting is hurting their profits and he wants to scale it back. The economy seems to be picking up even if it's just a little, so I really don't expect much of anything to hit regarding real discounts.

The best way to force their hand would be to cancel existing plans and to lower occupancy levels in the resorts. If they seem low enough, there may be something offered.

I wouldn't rule out a PIN code release for something. Those have been targeted in the past, and there's no suing they couldn't do it again. Would be simple to send to people that haven't been or don't have something booked, etc.

It'll be interesting to see how this game of chicken turns out. I suspect most people won't cancel bookings, because in reality they are going regardless.

I don't think that is entirely true...but I do agree with the fact that prebooking doesn't help to get deals out.
Disney was hurting for bookings in May look at the offers they have released. I think that is why we have not seen any offers for late Aug/Sept yet...they are too concerned with May and summer. They used to never need offers for summer bookings and this year they can't seem to STOP! If the economy was doing so well they wouldn't need all these offers.

Also, Iger said he would like to scale back in late 2010...IF he could...but the economy would play a part in that. Late 2010 to me is Oct/Nov and on. With the deals they have been pushing...granted the first one offered was great(up to 40% off) and the next one out is not(up to 30% off) but it still is a deal. I don't see them scaling back in Sept deals.
They also need to account for Harry Potter at US. I think we will see something in a week or two tops.

azcavalier
04-21-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm hoping IF the free dining does come out, that it goes into October like it did last year. I would like to wait until the end of September, beginning of October for our trip.

This is exactly what we've done the last three years in a row. So my DW and her mother decided to take advantage of the Free Dining and have a family reunion the first week in October at WDW. We've got it all booked, including all of the ADRs. But as it stands right now, we're paying for dining. We're really hoping they offer it, and if they offer it that it will be for the same time frame as in the past few years. That will save us almost $4000. Of course, if they only offer a discount on rooms, then we'll take that, too. But, please, offer *something*.

DizneyRox
04-21-2010, 09:00 PM
Also, Iger said he would like to scale back in late 2010...IF he could...but the economy would play a part in that. Late 2010 to me is Oct/Nov and on.
Late 2010 is Q1 for Disney's fiscal year I believe. That's a whole different year to worry about profits.

The economy is recovering, late 2010 is a long ways away. Many people don't plan all that far in advance. I'm usually waiting for my 11 month window to open (DVC), but I just helped a couple people in work a few weeks back for an unexpected May trip. They just decided to go.

Disney makes a mint on food and souveniers. If they can stop giving he food away they stand to make huge profits. It won't help with the made in China chotchkies, but those are two different departments frankly, two different problems.

mom2-3princesses
04-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Late 2010 is Q1 for Disney's fiscal year I believe. That's a whole different year to worry about profits.

The economy is recovering, late 2010 is a long ways away. Many people don't plan all that far in advance. I'm usually waiting for my 11 month window to open (DVC), but I just helped a couple people in work a few weeks back for an unexpected May trip. They just decided to go.

Yes, it is Q1 which would make sense that this is when they are going to try and scale back...The would start their year off cutting the promos back.
The economy may be starting to get better but people are not planning big vacations like they used to. The economy is no where near how it was when they originally started FD. Deals like the one in May...which they offered because bookings are so low in May(their Q3)
You are right they make a killing off merchandise...bringing people in with the food is a great marketing ploy. People are spending their money on merchandise and othere things...like paying rack rate for hotel rooms. FD is a way for people to forget about hurricane season(at its' peak) when the kids are back in school.

sydzach
04-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Just my opinion, the economy is VERY slow to recover, the unemployment rate is still very high, and the fact is to me, Disney or any business would rather give a discount and get some revenue than not have people there. Kinda like the cruise and airline industry, they tend to offer discounts later in the game because even a discounted room/seat is bringing in some $$ which is better than an empty room/seat. Now, Disney is never going to have an issue of NOT having folks around but the more people, the more profit they stand to make, just maybe not quite as much profit.

I think the fact Orlando has more hotel rooms than any place I have personally ever seen, Disney has some competition on the hotel front so they might offer free dining as incentive to stay at a Disney resort over off property. I just believe Disney makes PLENTY of money, sure, profits might dip a little bit but a happy customer is one that will return and return again and that is what all business strives for.

Goofy Pluto
04-30-2010, 01:20 PM
'Bout time!

I got my offer. Thanks to Terrisue from Magical Journeys for applying it for us. Our kids are going FOR FREE! That's even better than free dining. Saving quite a bit of money with this. WHOO HOO!

vicster
04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
'Bout time!

I got my offer. Thanks to Terrisue from Magical Journeys for applying it for us. Our kids are going FOR FREE! That's even better than free dining. Saving quite a bit of money with this. WHOO HOO!

We got 40% off WL and a better view which is a lot better than free dining for us - just my DH and myself!

BraddyB
04-30-2010, 03:18 PM
We got 40% off WL and a better view which is a lot better than free dining for us - just my DH and myself!

Same with us...October cant come quick enough. I will take 40 % off the WL over free dining any day of the week.