PDA

View Full Version : Which Deluxe has the best standard rooms?

mickeyman42
04-19-2010, 10:01 AM
Hello, I'll start this off by saying that we (DW, DD8, DD4, me) normally stay at a value resort because it costs so much for our airfare and we do not spend much time in our room that we try and save a few dollars where possible. With that said, looking at the deals (25-30% off deluxe/villas) available now we are considering staying at a deluxe or villa for our next trip, but we would only be booking a standard room, again to try and save a few dollars. So which deluxe resort would you pick if you HAD to book just a basic standard room? Yes I know we could probably stay at a moderate with a higher room category or even have 2 rooms at a value for the same price, but thats not the question, :) theme doesn't matter, just want to know which resort has the most updated rooms, best location of the basic rooms in relation to food, buses, pools, noise, etc.... please include all of the deluxes (poly, GF, Contempary, BC/YC, BW etc) thanks

faline
04-19-2010, 10:20 AM
I'd have to select the Grand Floridian. Their rooms are much larger than most of the resorts and even their standard rooms do not overlook parking lots. We booked a standard room and requested Boca Chica as our building. We were placed in that building but we ended up with an end room (overlooking Narcoosee's) which meant we could see much of the Magic Kingdom fireworks disply (over the roof of Narcoosee's) right from our balcony.

BrerGnat
04-19-2010, 10:28 AM
If budget is your main concern, I'd say the BEST standard rooms (value wise) are

Wilderness Lodge

Contemporary Garden Wing-Standard View

I'd give the nod to Contemporary as the "better" option mainly due to the ability to walk to the Magic Kingdom (a convenience worth it's weight in gold!). Plus, rooms here are large, modern, and comfortable. The standard view wing rooms are close to the tower, and the pool is steps outside the building. View won't be great (although, you could get a view of the monorail passing by), and you don't get a balcony, but it's the cheapest deluxe on the monorail AND it's the second lowest priced option after WL.

Wilderness Lodge is my favorite "economy" deluxe resort. Rooms are a bit smaller, but if you aren't in them that much, won't matter. The lodge itself is beautiful and well themed. The pool area is nice, and the ENTIRE complex is compact and everything is close to everything. The standard rooms do overlook a "service area", but if you ask for a room on an upper floor (5th or 6th), you will be able to see a peek of the Castle and the ENTIRE nightly fireworks show from your room!

mickeyman42
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
just 1 more thing is that it doesn't matter which deluxe is cheaper or the better value, just straight up which deluxe is the best and has the best standard rooms

TammiMcMan
04-19-2010, 12:41 PM
just 1 more thing is that it doesn't matter which deluxe is cheaper or the better value, just straight up which deluxe is the best and has the best standard roomsI'll try to keep my personal opinion out of the response and try to stick to the facts ;).

I believe the BC/YC are the resorts which have had the most recent room upgrades. Pool is awesome and you are within walking distance to a number of food options. Standard view rooms primarily look out over the parking lot though, which is a pretty stinky view if you spend a lot of time in your room. Full balconies are an issue at the BC.

BWI is a prime location if you are going to spend a lot of time at Epcot and DHS. Both are within a 10 minute walk. With 4 other hotels around Crescent Lake, you have a lot of food choices. Unfortunately, you do have to go outside to find most of the food options and standard view rooms overlook the parking lot.

Poly has been updated within the past few years and all rooms have a daybed if your kids want to have their own beds. Primarly garden views overlook landscaping, but not all. Not all rooms have a balcony either and you would want to research the buildings and request one close to the things that are important to you. Tokelau would probably be your best choice. It's centrally located, all rooms have balconies and nice garden views.

GF has also been updated within the past few years and many of their rooms also have a daybed. All garden view rooms actually do overlook landscaping and all rooms have a balcony or patio. The resort is not too spread out, but some buildings are a longer walk to food and transportation options. Big Pine Key is the most central to everything. There is 24 hour counter service available.

Contemporary would most likely get my vote for best overall standard room. The garden wing rooms are the biggest and the proximity to the MK can't be beat. You would need to walk to the main tower for food and transportation and only the rooms on the 1st floor in the garden wing have patios. Not the most elaborate of pools, but it sounds like the room is your biggest draw.

AKL is known more for it's theming. Standard rooms overlook the parking lot and because you're kind of removed from things, food choices are a bit limited.

WL, like the AKL is more of a value deluxe. The rooms aren't as big as the regular deluxe resorts and a standard view here does overlook the parking lot area.

Hopefully, I've pointed out the pro's and con's associated with each of the deluxe resorts. None of them offer a food court, although they all do have at least 1 expensive, 1 moderate and 1 counter service option. Unfortunately, I don't think any of them fit your needs exactly, because most do require some walking to transporation or food options. You can find a lot of resort maps in the Resorts tab above. That may help you with the layout and where everything is located within each resort http://www.intercot.com/resorts/disney/maps/default.asp.

wmdaddy
04-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Poly has the largest rooms in 3 of their longhouses (Tokelau, Tahiti, Rapa Nui). The GF's room were nicer though.

DebK
04-19-2010, 03:00 PM
I would have to go with the GF or Contemporary.....

Kairi_7378
04-19-2010, 11:12 PM
I would go for the Contemporary or the Poly because both have been redecorated recently. I'd give a slight edge to the Poly because I think that the Poly is the best resort as far as transportation goes.

chrim
04-20-2010, 03:06 AM
Based on the age of your girls, are there parks where you are likely to spend most of your time? That would be something to consider.

Some other thoughts:

The Vacation Club (or deluxe villas) call their standard rooms "studios." These have 1 queen bed and a sleeper sofa. Will your two DDs enjoy sharing a double bed sized sleeper sofa? If not (my guess), go elsewhere.

Wilderness Lodge (WL) and Animal Kingdom Lodge (AKL) each have some rooms with 1 queen bed and a set of bunk beds. These are not "standard" rooms, and cost more than a standard room at the same hotels, but still could be less than the cheapest rooms at other deluxe hotels. The lodges have the smallest rooms of any deluxe, but the bunk beds might be a keeper. Also, these hotels are made up of a single building, and the standard rooms are often near the lobby. (That is also true of the pool view rooms at AKL.) The decor of the WL is a bit dark; the decor of the rooms in the AKL is dark. It is a personal style choice of whether people find this upscale or unhappy. I might list this as a top choice for bedding and being near AK or MK. I think these would be my suggestion for you.

For the best water park style pool, stay at the Yacht Club or Beach Club. These hotels have fairly large rooms, and have bright/airy color schemes. These hotels are walking distance to Epcot and two stops on the friendship boats from the Studios. Rooms have two queen beds plus a (shorter than a twin) day bed. These can be a great choice, especially if you will make lots of use of the pool.

The Boardwalk Inn is a nice location, has a decent pool, but food can be far away. I think this is more adult themed and maybe not as good for young kids.

The Poly and Contemporary have the largest standard rooms on property (other than the limited access Shades of Green). Some standard rooms at the Poly have a monorail view (a big plus for me). :mickey: These hotels have been updated fairly recently and were made to feel more upscale. The Contemporary has some cool features, but I just like the Poly better and have for a long time. Heck, they even have a volcano pool! Both offer easy access to the Magic Kingdom. There are no rooms in the main building at the Poly. In the Contemporary, the standard rooms are in the south garden wing; a two story building (with interior corridors) extending out from the main tower.

The Grand Floridian is the most expensive option. It is a Victorian themed resort. There are no standard rooms in the main building; they are all in the outer buildings. It is the most feminine in style. While it is a great place to visit, it just isn't my cup of tea (and yes, they do serve afternoon tea there) so I don't get too excited about it. The GF does have a good selection of restaurants, but they are mostly signature (pricey).

I hope this helps.

mickeyman42
04-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. You really helped confirm some things that I had already thought. Based on every trip we've had we would probably spend most time at MK, with a day (or even half day) at Epcot, HS and AK in between. Thanks again for the help