PDA

View Full Version : dream may 2011

poohbear07
04-19-2010, 07:50 AM
My family and I first trip...a little afraid of sea sickness and of my son being so young around all that water he is 4....anything anyone can say to make me feel better?

mook3y
04-19-2010, 08:32 AM
There are pills, bracelets and patchs that go behind your ear to help with nausea.

We took our son on his first cruise when he was 2 1/2. It just requires keeping a close eye on them. For pools, we always had a life vest on him (we brought one so we knew it fit him well).

One great tip for helping to keep everything organized with a small child on a cruise:

Get an over the door shoe holder. All of the pockets will help keep you organized and you can give your little one the bottom few to put toys, crayons, etc in when you are ready to clean up.

Bon Voyage!

poohbear07
04-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Do you know if there is anything for motion sickness in a four year old?

mook3y
04-19-2010, 10:00 AM
well the bracelets work on pressure points and are not medicine of any form.

There are several medications available for the treatment of motion sickness in children. Diminhydronate (commonly sold as Dramamine) is a very popular choice, but it can make children sleepy. It is important to consult your pediatrician before giving your children these medications.

Another consideration is to try and get a room as close to the center of the ship as possible.

The center of the boat is the place where you are going to feel the least motion.

DisneyFr33k
04-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Another consideration is to try and get a room as close to the center of the ship as possible.

The center of the boat is the place where you are going to feel the least motion.

Oh so true! I am a very motion sick person and have been on a deep sea fishing trip that had me in the bathroom the entire time :sick:. I've been on 3 Disney cruises and haven't felt sick once. However, we had a first floor deluxe inside stateroom in the center of the boat. It helps a lot!

TammiMcMan
04-19-2010, 08:28 PM
I believe Bonine comes in a childrens version and that is non-drowsy as compared to Dramamine. My best advice is to check with your primary care physican and take the medication before the ship starts moving.

Auroring Good Time
05-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Personally, I prefer the Bonine for motion sickness. I have been on 6 cruises and only felt a little sick once (big storm) and I was glad I had the Bonine with me.
Before I went on my first cruise with my son, I asked my pediatrician what to do about seasickness with him. He told me that it seasickness is 90% psychological. Kids don't know about it so they don't think about it. Try not to mention it around your child. He did say if I did have problems to use the bracelet. I would suggest a brief talk with your pediatrician to be sure on what to give your child. You will all have a great time.