PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin or Poly?

disneyboundagain
04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
We booked the Poly for 7 nights for the first week of May as part of a bounce back offer when we were there last Dec. We were able to get 40% off, so we have a really cheap rate. However, things have changed a little for us financially, and we are considering switching to the Dolphin and saving $800. We normally stay at either CR, Poly, or BLT, but we have stayed at POR and CSR, and I didn't care for either of those. I didn't like them because of the location, and lack of corridors. We don't use the DDP, ME, or Disney transportation. For those that have stayed at both, what did you think? What are the significant differences, beyond the obvious ones? I'm just afraid we (I) will be unhappy NOT staying at Poly.

jnfr2424
04-19-2010, 01:43 AM
We don't use the DDP, ME, or Disney transportation. For those that have stayed at both, what did you think? What are the significant differences, beyond the obvious ones? I'm just afraid we (I) will be unhappy NOT staying at Poly.

We do split stays at the Dolphin all the time I love the convience plus we are Epcot lovers
I am sure there will be posts stating that "there is no Disney Magic" when staying at Dolphin but I beg to differ. You already posted all the things that people don't like about the S & D: ME, DDP and you do have access to EMH for all the parks. You can walk to Epcot in less than a 20 mins stroll (also its a back entrance which is hardly ever crowded ;) )a great boat ride to DHS, Grotto Pool is awesome. You are also close to Boardwalk for nighttime fun. The only negative I can think of is space rooms are probably smaller at the Dolphin but the plus side is those Heavenly Beds which are VERY comfortable!

MidnTPK
04-19-2010, 03:21 PM
I've stayed at both, though it's been a long time since I was at the Poly. But I just stayed at the BLT, so I have a recent experience at a monorail resort.

My initial thinking is that you should branch out and try an Epcot resort. Personally, I love Illuminations, and nothing beats a pleasant walk back to your hotel after the show. No lines for buses or monorails. You might have to wait for a boat, but only if you want the rest. Same goes for DHS after Fantasmic. Overall the resorts are so different that you can't do a 1-to-1 comparison of the two places.....staying over at the Epcot resorts is just a much different experience.

But I think the question you'll have to ask yourself is how much time you plan to spend at Epcot and DHS, versus at the MK. If you go to WDW just to visit the MK, you might not be as big a fan of the Epcot resorts as I am.

From a luxury hotel perspective, you won't be disappointed at the Dolphin. The beds are much better. You feel like you're in a luxury hotel. You're right on top of the Boardwalk and all its entertainment options. Plus you get internet access and bottled water (from the mandatory resort fee).

diz_girl
04-19-2010, 04:09 PM
If you feel that you will really miss the Poly, then why not stay at the Dolphin for most of your trip (and save most of the money) and then switch to the Poly for your last night or two (make it two). I don't think that they do the automatic luggage transfer to/from the Dolphin, but if you stay for just a night or two then you won't have to check into the Poly with much luggage (you can leave the rest in your car). You can just bring a small bag with two day's worth of clothes and leave the rest in your car. Of course, bring any perishable (including meltable, like chocolate) items into your room. Since it's the beginning of May, you won't need to bundle up so you won't have to pack much into the small bag.

disneyboundagain
04-19-2010, 10:34 PM
But I think the question you'll have to ask yourself is how much time you plan to spend at Epcot and DHS, versus at the MK. If you go to WDW just to visit the MK, you might not be as big a fan of the Epcot resorts as I am.

We definately spend the most time at MK. We typically don't use Disney transportation, so driving to MK shouldn't be that big of a deal. With being able to walk (to both ?) DHS and Epcot, we will actually have to drive less days. Plus, we've never taken the time to see the Boardwalk, but have wanted to for the past few years.

MidnTPK
04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
We definately spend the most time at MK. We typically don't use Disney transportation, so driving to MK shouldn't be that big of a deal. With being able to walk (to both ?) DHS and Epcot, we will actually have to drive less days. Plus, we've never taken the time to see the Boardwalk, but have wanted to for the past few years.
Yes, you can walk to DHS. There's a nice well-lit walkway along the waterway. No streets to cross.

I think you should go for the Dolphin. Staying over at Epcot is a very nice experience. I can't really decide which I like more, the BLT or the Swan & Dolphin. They're both great vacation experiences.