PDA

View Full Version : AKL vs. Poly??

Bellerella
04-18-2010, 08:44 PM
We have been to WDW twice now, and stayed at AKL both times and absolutley loved it!! For our upcoming trip, we are trying out the Poly. We are excited, but also a little sad we won't be at AKL. Which of these two resorts do you think is better?? :mickey:

faline
04-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Animal Kingdom Lodge is a wonderful resort and we've stayed here a number of times. The biggest drawback with this resort is its distance from most of the parks and its reliance on bus service.

We've also stayed at the Poly a number of times and it is my most favorite resort. I love that it's on the monorail and that it is in close proximity to the Magic Kingdom. Additionall, you are just a short walk from the Grand Floridian. You can easily visit the Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, and Fort Wilderness from this location.

The theming is wonderfully tropical and you can watch Magic Kingdom fireworks from the beach. Also you have the Electrical Water parade.

RAIDER
04-19-2010, 07:22 AM
The Poly hands down , better location ,and better resort :thumbsup:

mook3y
04-19-2010, 10:25 AM
POLY!

location, location, location! ;)

and.. no sneezing :blush:

ThanxForNoticin
04-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Poly is a terrific resort with a great location. But AKL has become our favorite. But if we give AKL 9.9 out of 10, Poly is a 9.85 out of 10! Both are amazing.

CU Tiger
04-19-2010, 12:11 PM
We like the setting and location of Poly better.:mickey:

Stickey
04-19-2010, 12:58 PM
The AKL is the most unique resort at WDW. Watching the animals from a savannah view room is an awesome experience. The AKL has superior theming, is a better value, and has the edge in resort restaurants(Jiko, Boma, Mara).

The Poly has good theming, monorail access, and is convenient to MK. The Electrical Water Parade and fireworks views from the beach are additional benifts.

renecat
04-19-2010, 01:06 PM
You'll love the location of the Poly!!!

LandFan
04-19-2010, 02:32 PM
AKL! Where else can you get two vacations for one. An african safari adventure and Disney!

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-19-2010, 04:09 PM
I just can't vote. No matter which one I choose, I feel like I'm betraying the other. So, this is what a love triangle feels like.... :secret:

We have not stayed at either of these resorts yet. HOWEVER, both of these resorts are a MUST for every trip. We eat and resort hop to both. Can't stay away from either. Since the AKL is part of DVC, we are able to stay there our next trip. Poly will have to be paid OOP and we'll have to save that for a very special occassion. We WILL stay at the poly one day.

Both are so different, the only thing that really would make me vote one way or another is the location of the POLY being on the monorail. BUT... one could also argue that the location of AKL is also a benefit to those that want to get away from it all and, as another poster said, get a totally different vacation all in one. :cloud9:

GrmGrninGost
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
I would go with the Poly strictly on location. I would also go with Poly because I like it better! :mickey:

Disnamic Duo
04-20-2010, 02:43 PM
We like AKL better, but I think you should go to Poly because you haven't been there (and Poly is beautiful!). You can always visit AKL while you're at WDW. Schedule a breakfast or dinner at Boma. That's what we always do when we stay somewhere else. We like trying the different resorts, but we like to at least visit AKL every time.

Pocahontas
04-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Both are great, but Poly gets the edge due to it's location!

moe513
04-23-2010, 04:09 PM
You cant bet the Polys location

DadTriton
04-23-2010, 04:20 PM
Poly rocks. You will love it have fun!

wdw538884
04-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Go Poly:mickey:
go Poly:cloud9:
Go Poly:D

Alaska Disney Fan
04-25-2010, 04:23 PM
I think Poly is a better location if you plan on going to MK every day, to me that is the only reason it has a better location. When you go to other parks you still have to take a bus or transfer on the monorail. AKL is a much nicer resort and it is less expensive, also the atmosphere is completely different. I pick AKL as my favorite place to relax after a day at the parks.

sndral
04-28-2010, 12:09 AM
The Poly has a lot of non resort guests roaming the smallish lobby areas. The monorail access is great, but can be really crowded when MK closes and when the luau show lets out. The Poly is one of the first WDW resorts and it has a special historical feel to me. AKL is one of the newest deluxe resorts and is beautiful.
I always preferred the jungle cruise to the tiki room, so that may explain my preference for AKL.;)

Spaceship Tigger
04-28-2010, 12:59 PM
I love both resorts. The food options are probably a little better at the AKL. I prefer the Poly's location and beach (along with the fireworks and EWP of course). I didn't use to care much for the AKL pool for our children but now they have a great kid's area over at the expanded DVC section.

We're staying at the Poly this time but I'd love to go back to the AKL next time... :D

Bamf1000
04-28-2010, 01:26 PM
First time at the Poly in 201 days!!! counting down the days until paradise :mickey:

hubbyofadisneyholic
04-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Wow...talk about a tough choice!!:confused:

Reading this thread I've changed my mind at least 3 times, but when all is said and done I give the edge to AKL by the tiniest of smidges.

The location at the POLY is great and I love walking thru the gardens, but then I remember standing in line for 15 minutes waiting for the monorail at MK closing time. I think the whole "monorail resort" thing is more hype than help.

Yes, AKL is not exactly in the middle of the action, but the lobby is amazing and in my opinion it has the best overall resort theming in WDW. And there is something to be said for standing on your balcony watching the animals grazing.

You really can't go wrong either way. :thumbsup:

luv_cinderella
04-28-2010, 08:26 PM
Tough choice! I voted Poly because that is my "dream" resort, but have stayed at AKL twice and LOVE it!!!

I would pick Poly because you haven't done it before. Always nice to try something new.

Bellerella
05-01-2010, 08:07 PM
Wow, thanks everyone for all the great responses!! I'm glad that it seems a lot of you like the two resorts equally- we kind of feel like we are cheating on AKL by trying the new lodge, but it seems like we will really like the Poly too! :mickey: