PDA

View Full Version : Help with time of year to visit

Going2HeavenRU
04-18-2010, 02:24 PM
My husband and I are going to be taking my mom and sister to WDW in 2011 (in Sept, Nov or Dec). We are trying to pick a good time to go where the weather is not cold or wet, the Christmas stuff is up, no special events are occuring (besides MVMCP) and the crowd levels are good.

I know that it is impossible to get everything perfect but I thought I would get suggestions from the "experts" since we have plenty of time to make our selection.

Daisy'sMom
04-18-2010, 03:21 PM
We always go for the first week of December. That being said, the weather can be downright cold but can also be very warm. Two years ago it was 28 degrees at the CP, last year we just needed a light jacket. You never know.:mickey:

faline
04-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Well the Christmas stuff will definintely not be up in September or even in early November. I'd suggest the first week of December but, do keep in mind, weather can be iffy at this time of year and you could experience a cold snap that will require mittens and coats.

Strmchsr
04-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Your description just about eliminated everything. December has Christmas stuff, but crowds are increasing big time over previous years and weather is extremely unpredictable. Christmas stuff starts going up the first week of November, but isn't fully up until mid-November, which is when crowds begin increasing and the weather turns crazy. September is warm and the crowds used to be really low, but the "free" dining promotion has driven crowds up then and it's peak hurricane season. Plus no Christmas decorations then, though you do have the MNSSHP.

Given your criteria, I think the "best" option would be the week before Thanksgiving (not the week of). Still running a little risk with the weather, but in terms of crowds and decorations, that's probably the best bet. All the Christmas decorations won't be up, but most of them will.

04-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Christmas stuff in MK not "fully" up until after the Christmas day ABC parade taping which occurs in the first week of December.

Tree in Town Square about 3 days after the parade taping.

Going2HeavenRU
04-20-2010, 01:19 PM
I was actually leaning toward the week before Thanksgiving. Thanks for the confirmation Strmchsr.

I appreciate all of the information from all of the posts, even with the limited information I provided.

Daisy'sMom
04-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Have fun whenever you go. I would pack for warm and that way I would have to get a Disney sweatshirt to keep warm. And the hats and scarves Disney has are so adorable. Hmmm, maybe we when we go over the day after Thanksgiving, I will pray for cold and not watch the weather report.:thumbsup:

Going2HeavenRU
04-21-2010, 06:28 PM
You know Daisy'sMom, you have a good point! :cool:

ColeeC
04-21-2010, 06:50 PM
I agree with the general consensus - there's no bad time to go to the World! Having said that, we went two years ago the week after Thanksgiving and it was PERFECT. Walked onto practically everything, barely used the whole FP system because there was no need to! Weather was gorgeous, the MVMCP was SO worth it...and because it was value season, the price was just right!
Have fun planning!

eeyorepoohfan
04-21-2010, 08:06 PM
:cloud9: Disney World is always great!!!! My sister and her family went the Dec 7-12 and my hubby and I went Dec 10-15. My sister said they experienced very minimal wait times for nearly everything. The weather was beautiful (I think mid 70s) until the last 2 days, when they got a cold snap with some drizzly rain. My hubby and I experience colder temps the first 2 days (cloudy, drizzly and highs in the 50/60s, lows in the high 30s) and near record heat for the remainder of our trip (sunny, humid, highs in the 80s, lows in the high 60s). Again, we have very minimal wait times the entire time. On average, I would say everything was less than 15 minutes. We did utilized FP for main attractions, but nearly walked on to everything else. :thumbsup:

We all thought this was a fantastic time of year to go. It's still during Value season too. All of the decorations were up and amazing to see!!! I don't know that I could go back without the fantastic Christmas decorations, but I would try ;) I would highly recommend trying to go when the Christmas decorations are up, they are amazing!!!! :mickey:

WDWNut02
04-24-2010, 10:02 AM
My favorite time to go is later in September. The crowd levels are very low. They have the parks decorated for halloween and you can go to the MNSSHP. The weather gos from warm to hot, which, being from Michigan is good for me.

plutosnana
04-24-2010, 03:20 PM
Hit November! Yes, I know it's Thanksgiving or after Thanksgiving or before but if U go then U will see the Christmas stuff! O and GREAT weather

eeyoregirl13
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
I am liking all of the suggestions to go early December because that's when I have my next trip booked! (12/4-12/9) I have never been for Christmas decorations before, so am really excited for that! I was unsure of what to expect that time of year with weather and the Pop Warner crowds, but it makes me feel excited to hear a lot of you suggest that time to visit!

renecat
04-27-2010, 01:02 PM
My favorite time to go is later in September. The crowd levels are very low. They have the parks decorated for halloween and you can go to the MNSSHP. The weather gos from warm to hot, which, being from Michigan is good for me.

I agree with this post. Have done Dec. 5 times last time was in 2008. Very cool weather some rain and crowds where heavy. Last year for the very first time we went . Sept. 7-13 weather was warm but walked on everything no waits.
Got all our ADR's without a problem. The halloween party is better then the christmas party. The halloween decorations are so cute.
What ever you decide have a great time.