PDA

View Full Version : mosquitoes in May

eandrsmom
04-16-2010, 07:01 AM
I live in south Louisiana, and we begin to fight mosquitoes here as soon as it gets warm. It has been a while since we traveled to WDW when it 's warm, so I was wondering if anyone has noticed mosquitoes. I'm forming a packing list and was wondering if I needed to get repellant. We travelled in May several years ago, but I don't remember the mosquitoes being too bad.

Wishmaker
04-16-2010, 07:33 AM
We are always there during the first few weeks in may. We have never noticed a mosquito problem. I will say though we have packed bug spray this year. I am not sure why, but when I was shopping for my toiletries something about it said "you need to buy me".
Not sure if that is some form of intuition or what.

faline
04-16-2010, 07:53 AM
Disney generally has a very effective pest control program and I've rarely been bit by a mosquito there. We have noticed an uptick in mosquitoes on a couple of trips but those were trips that occured just after a major weather event such as a hurricane may have derailed Disney's pest control efforts. I'd pack it as "just in case".

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-16-2010, 08:32 AM
We've been the last couple of years in May, and haven't had too many issues with mosquitoes. We did have one night last year, where I got bitten on my legs one evening on the boat to DTD. After that, we did put some repellant on our socks and ankles, but never had any other issues.

WishingStar2006
04-16-2010, 08:38 AM
I think they manage pests really well at WDW...especially in the parks. I am a smoker :nono: and have gotten eaten alive when outside at the resort in the evening time...even in May!!! I would pack repellant...if you like to stroll around in the evening...you'll be glad you did!!!! Have a great time!!!

Scar
04-16-2010, 09:56 AM
I often see maintenance staff going around the lagoons in boats with nets scooping up what I assume to be mosquito eggs or larvae.

eandrsmom
04-16-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks! I guess I'll throw in some repellant just to be safe. I'm trying to slim down the packing list, since my husband always accuses me of over-packing.:jaw:

DizneyRox
04-16-2010, 09:14 PM
The past couple of years I have noticed a significant increase in bug activity. Very different than previous years. Last year I I got eaten alive at the AKLV pool in the late afternoon, and MK at an EMH evening was unbearable.

I will be packing bug spray this year, you better believe it. I don't know if it's due to the cost cutting or what. I did notice a significant decrease in those lizards which I assume eat the bugs as well.

I would pack plenty of bug spray, the more deet the better.

dinahvixen
04-18-2010, 10:57 AM
We actually noticed a creepy lack of insects when we were there in Sept. We were at the pool in the evening and noticed that were no insects flying around the light posts. Now this is Florida, in late summer, in the evening - not a single bug. It made us wonder how much toxicity was being sprayed around that even flying insects were not by the light posts. A nice bug-free time, but a little alarming as well...

LudwigVonDrake
04-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Disney does a great job of keeping mosquitoes away. You have nothing to worry about.

the other micki
04-18-2010, 08:31 PM
We've been twice in May and didn't even think about mosquitos the whole time! And I'm a south Louisianian, too, so I'm very familiar with the critters!

DadTriton
04-22-2010, 01:22 PM
We have had an usual amount of rain this winter in Florida and the retaining ponds are high and there has been standing water in the woods for a month.
So the mosquitoes are way up this year.
Usually, it's the end of our dry season and there is hardly any.
Bring the spray. :bug:

grumpyguy
04-24-2010, 08:10 AM
never had a mosquito problem in may,which is a great month to go by the way...BUT!!! HOLY COW!!the "love bugs" in september... that's another story!!!

Genie1953
04-24-2010, 11:14 AM
We have had an usual amount of rain this winter in Florida and the retaining ponds are high and there has been standing water in the woods for a month.
So the mosquitoes are way up this year.
Usually, it's the end of our dry season and there is hardly any.
Bring the spray. :bug:
So true....we just got back. No problems on our last trip in 2005 and none at the beginning of this trip but we did notice a few the last couple of days we were there.

Bamf1000
04-24-2010, 04:00 PM
we went in the middle of may 2008 and surprisingly had no encounter with any.