PDA

View Full Version : Non-Disney anniversary trip

Kennywife
04-14-2010, 08:48 AM
So this June 17 is mine and Ken's 4th wedding anniversary! :cloud9: We're thinking of someplace to go for a couple of days to celebrate.

I love love Eureka Springs, Ark. It's so pretty! So quaint and quiet. Kenny liked it too, but he slept a lot there because he was tired from driving there.

Then, there's Kenny's fave....Vegas. We haven't been back since 2008. (We went to ES last June). He likes Vegas a lot and loves Penn & Teller.

We are looking for something we can do in a couple of days since he doesn't want to take up too much time off. We're going on a big trip in the fall...the WDW/DCL land & Sea pkg....got a great deal!!!!!! :number1: We'll be looking to go Mon.-Wed. probably of that week.

Any suggestions? We live in Tulsa, OK.

Anna

DisnIse
04-20-2010, 09:27 AM
From what everyone has told me, I'd give Nashville a shot. Different groups of friends of ours (one group in their 20's the other in their 40's) said that the weekend that the spent in Nashville was even more fun than Vegas. I guess the easiest way to sum up their review was that it was all the fun of the bars and bands that you'd see at Vegas nightclubs without losing your shirt gambling.

We were going to do an anniversary getaway, too, and it was a toss up between New Orleans and Nashville. Never did it, but those are my next two "must do" trips!

Genie1953
04-20-2010, 11:21 PM
I think you are on the right track with Eureka Springs. We did a short trip there ourselves a few years ago and loved it. We plan on going back again sometime in the near future. Was so relaxing!

AirlineGuy07
04-21-2010, 10:43 AM
We are thinking about going to Gatlinburg TN for our 10th anniversary next year. I hear its suppose to be fun.

buzznwoodysmom
04-21-2010, 11:49 AM
What about Branson, Missouri??? We've been switching back and forth between vacations for DH's two week leave from Iraq. We were going to WDW, then Myrtle Beach, but have finally settled on MIssouri. Check out Big Cedar Lodge. That is where we are staying. This resort looks amazing, and I don't think it'll be a very far drive for you guys. What ever you choose have fun, and congrats on 4 years!!

Oh and we are planning on tacking on a few nights on our way home some where in Arkansas, so I'm glad to see a few people really enjoyed Eureka Springs, its one of the places I'm looking at right now.

Kennywife
04-25-2010, 04:51 PM
We did Branson last year...something neither of us ever want to do again. :ack: Too overpriced and not much fun.

Don't know yet, but if we go anywhere, it'll be ES.

Anna

buzznwoodysmom
04-25-2010, 06:44 PM
We did Branson last year...something neither of us ever want to do again. :ack: Too overpriced and not much fun.

Don't know yet, but if we go anywhere, it'll be ES.

Anna

What was it you didn't like about Branson?? Just asking. We were more interested in staying at Big Cedar Lodge and were only going to drive into Branson once or twice during our 5 night stay. However, our plans have changed and we are now booked at Disney's Hilton Head Island resort instead. Big Cedar is still a place we'd like to visit in the future so I'm just wondering what it was that was so bad about Branson. I've always heard what a nice place it was.

Genie1953
04-25-2010, 07:52 PM
We like Branson....love the Branson Train Ride, Silver Dollar City, and the Branson Belle Showboat....what we do NOT like about Branson is the high priced shows. I realize they may not be high priced to some but we just aren't interested in seeing shows, however we did see one and really liked Dolly Parton's Dixie Stampede....now that was a fun one! It is dinner and a show combined. The Showboat Branson Belle is also a dinner/show combination that we ike. Silver Dollar City is great and has several different celebrations per year that last several weeks....in the spring they have a World Fest and bring in shows and performers from all over the world along with craftsman from those countries. They have something where kids are celebrated and another time frame where christian performers are brought in. In the fall they have September and October set aside to honor the country life....one month to honor the cowboy....and one month to honor the farmer.....and of course there is Christmas which is just absolutely lovely.....everything is lit up....all the buildings, trees, even the fences....it is just gorgeous. There may be other things they celebrate also but I just can't think of them right now. We also like museums and historical sites so have taken in the Veteran's museum in Branson and also went up in the Lookout Tower and boy what spectacular views. We also try to do a Duck ride when we are there. Another thing we really enjoyed was the Museum at College of the Ozarks which is located in Point Lookout just south of Branson. We have been there several times. We love just driving around looking at all the beautiful scenery too. If you like Christmas stores there is one in Branson which just seems to go on and on....it is just huge. I could spend hours in there. A very positive side of getting around Branson is all the routes....blue, red, yellow, etc. These are real time savers and can keep you off the main drag where traffic can be very heavy. It may seem like they are taking you way out of your way but believe me they can still save you time rather than being caught up in the bumper to bumper traffic that frequently occurs on the main drag. Another thing if you like shopping there are tons of Outlet stores located in various areas of Branson...and there is also a new shopping area that is built in the older part of Branson on the water...I think it is about a mile long (don't worry they run complimentary tram/street car type of transportation during the busiest times of the day to get you around)....this new shopping area has lots of shops and restaurants with a great fire and water show at night as well as other entertainment too. We had a huge trip to Disneyworld this year so no Branson trips for us this year and next year is a Yellowstone trip but I imagine we will be purchasing annual passes to Silver Dollar City for 2012. We usually make 3-4 trips down there per year when we have no other big trips planned. GOSH....just talking about it is making me want to figure out a way to squeeze in another trip somehow this fall (which is the most beautiful time to go in my opinion).

FYI....each to his own but my parents who love Branson and go there 4-5 times a year went to Gatlinburg last year and absolutely hated it....said that they could not take all the traffice and the inconsiderate people there. They actually cut their trip there short after just a couple of days and stopped off at Branson and finished out their vacation there. I haven't been there myself can only report what they told me.

Kennywife
04-26-2010, 10:38 AM
It's to us, for the prices that everything was, I expected more to do. Mostly, I noticed there were a lot of country shows and I like country music (Carrie Underwood, Taylor Swift, and Rascal Flatts), outdoor activities, and shopping. Plus, everything was so high-priced. For the prices that they charge, we could have gone to Disney or Vegas and had more fun.

I loved Eureka! It was so nice and quaint. Lots of unique things offered, the streets spiraled around like a staircase, and it was just gorgeous! We would definitely go back.

If Branson appeals to you, great. It just didn't appeal to us.

Anna

BRJARE3
05-12-2010, 01:40 PM
We loved Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. Dollywood is a beautiful park. So clean and the people are so friendly. The prices were not too terrible. Not great, but not so outrageous that you could not afford it. We did a lot in the Smokey Mountains. Hiking, picknicking, etc. We saw some bears in the woods. Very cool. We rented a log cabin. I would highly recommend it. Very relaxing. The Aquarium is beautiful. The best one we have ever been to. Can't wait to go back. Have fun in whatever you do.