PDA

View Full Version : Are Dogs/Belongings Safe In A Camper?

RunawayRun
04-13-2010, 10:08 PM
I guess I am overly protective of my dogs, but how safe are dogs left alone in campers at Fort Wilderness? Have you ever heard of a dog getting stolen from a camper? Have you ever heard of campers in general getting broken into at FW? I think my south Florida crime awareness is coming through. :) I just want to make sure my dogs will be safe.

jonahbear2006
04-14-2010, 12:49 AM
I dont have dogs so i dont really know the dog answer, however, we always camp in a tent and leave our belongings in our tent and on the picnic table and the ground and we have never had anything stolen. The closest thing I have seen to a concern was one day we came back and our tent was unzipped from the top to halfway down and it was the same day we saw about 18 storks in our site. I think that it was animal related and not human involvement.

faline
04-14-2010, 08:55 AM
I guess I am overly protective of my dogs, but how safe are dogs left alone in campers at Fort Wilderness? Have you ever heard of a dog getting stolen from a camper? Have you ever heard of campers in general getting broken into at FW? I think my south Florida crime awareness is coming through. :) I just want to make sure my dogs will be safe.

Are you in Class A, C or pop-up?

CU Tiger
04-14-2010, 01:14 PM
We have camped at FW many times and have not had any problems with theft. We have left stuff worth steeling out on the table with no problems. If it was an issue, I think we would have heard something about it over the past 6 years we have been going there. As for your dog, it should make your camper safer. It does for us. There would be a big surprise :jaw:if someone broke into our camper.
Do not forget that only FW campers can drive into FW, not the general public.:mickey:

Humphrey
04-14-2010, 01:33 PM
You're very safe. I have been many times with my two furkids. They have never been bothered by anyone as far as I know. There has always been quite a few people with dogs at FW. So you can be pretty sure there is nothing to worry about. Same thing with any kind of theft. When You get there you will see many campsites decorated with some costly items. I have never heard of any even being disturbed.

joonyer
04-14-2010, 02:03 PM
Just remember, pets are not allowed to be left in a pop-up camper or tent if you are not at the site with them. Hard-sided RV's only. If you have a pop-up you have to kennel them while you are away from the site.

But as others have said, I know of no security issues (theft) at FW. In fact we have camped for over 20 years at campgrounds all over the U.S. and we've never worried (or needed to) about theft at a campground. That being said, I wouldn't leave large amounts of cash on my picnic table :D, but since entry to FW is restricted to paying guests, so security issues are more unlikely there than at most campgrounds.

RunawayRun
04-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Thank you so much for your responses!! I am relieved to hear about your positive experiences with FW. I will be renting a C class camper. The last time we camped in a camper (as opposed to the cabins) was back in the 1980s in our old camper, and that was not with dogs. I am glad that you feel safe leaving your dogs in the camper. Thank you again! :)

mickey98
04-15-2010, 08:11 PM
Make sure that you inform the motorhome rental agency that you will be traveling with your dogs,, most rental companies do not allow dogs in the rental units.. you do not want to find out at the last minute that you can not take your dogs......

vicster
04-22-2010, 09:32 AM
We've never had a problem at FW - we leave bikes, chairs and many other things outside. I think campers are a special type of people and respect other's property as we've never had a problem anywhere we've camped.