PDA

View Full Version : Disney & Shuttle Landing

c&d
04-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Finally after all our trips to Disney there will be a shuttle landing while we're there. Would have loved a launch but this will do.

So, I reserved the car and changed the reservation once the date changed and now I don't know where the best place to see the landing is.
Can someone tell me where the best place to see a landing would be? Would it be in the same places as watching a launch?

Thanks for your help.

dnickels
04-13-2010, 10:29 PM
The landings are a lot less impressive than the launches. Basically just a plane coming in and a sonic boom. I never actually watched a landing when I lived in Cocoa Beach but I would think that if you pick one of the causeways going over the Banana River or the intracoastal and just set up the lawn chairs there looking north you'd be able to see it coming in. I'm not sure if you'd be able to see the landing from the beach or not. You might check the NASA page and see if they have any info or if there's a rocket launch while you're down there, that'd be more interesting to see.

Ed
04-13-2010, 10:34 PM
The landing strip used for the shuttles runs roughly parallel to the shoreline. The direction of the landing depends on the wind direction, so the shuttle may approach from either the north or the south; thus, the best vantage point is difficult to predict.

DisneyBunch5
04-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Typically, how are the crowds at the Space Center on landing days?

c&d
04-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the info.

Ed
04-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Typically, how are the crowds at the Space Center on landing days?

Not nearly as heavy as launch days.