PDA

View Full Version : performance review - eep

Dragongirlx
04-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Just had my performance review and apparantly my only flaw is informal communication.
That is I don't make small talk
My boss expects me to improve on this over the next 6 months but I have no idea where to start.
I thought my small talk was fine
what am I supposed to do?

Ms. Mode
04-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Some people would think that's a good thing! :)

In my opinion those reviews are bunk anyway. They have to give at least three areas you need to work on. I wouldn't worry to much about it; just start asking people "How are you today" most of them will take off talking from there.:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Spend an hour every morning talking to your boss about the night before. I'm sure they will quickly realize how unproductive small talk is in the work place.

If it really is small talk.

Informal communication to me would be checking in with customers on stauts of work, etc. Nothing along the lines of a project ststus meeting, just enough to let them know you're still working on things, they are progressing nicely, etc.

I've given up on taking performance reviews seriously. Two years ago (before the economy tanked), everything was bad, a lot needed to be worked on, etc. All reasons to reduce merit increases to employees. This year, everyone's reviews are glowing, etc. There's no money for merit increases however, you know.. The economy being what it is.

I've taken to copy/paste last years reveiws, change the date and maybe plug in a few new project names, here and there.

FriendsofMickey
04-13-2010, 01:25 PM
I think my first step would be to ask your boss for specific examples, so that you know exactly what is expected of you.

I have to say in all my years, I have never heard someone being told they need to have more "small talk". Are you sure that is what your boss meant? I am just baffled.

I definately have never had this problem (of course, I could talk to a brick wall. ;) ).

Good luck figuring it all out.

Dulcee
04-13-2010, 05:08 PM
Oof. I feel for you. I don't do small talk much at home or with friends much less in the office. I guess I'm a fairly quiet person in that regard.

One of the few ways I do make small talk is when people comment on photos/items that are around my desk. If you have a desk area maybe bringing in interesting things to set around would make people more likely to approach you. I find small talk easier when someone else starts it.

Just a thought. Good luck!

princessgirls
04-14-2010, 11:16 AM
That's a tough one...
Seems a little nit-picky too me. Like they had to put something negative in your review. Really, how does it affect your work.
Good Luck and don't worry about it too much.

Julie:mickey:

Dragongirlx
04-15-2010, 03:49 AM
thanks for all the responses.
I still have no idea what my boss means by this even though I have asked for examples. I think I will take the advice and just take that bit with a pinch of salt especially since I got good grades in everything else.

TinksDH
04-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Here's another thought based on my work experiences.

I work in an environment that employs lots of scientists and engineers (being one myself) and a characteristic that I have noticed is that these folks tend to NOT engage in any sort of communication except formal, well-written presentations, emails, reports, etc. That being the case, the only time they tend to communicate is during major milestone reviews or when something of enormous importance needs to be communicated. What they don't tend to communicate well are updates, pulse checks, off the cuff comments or ideas, etc. This often leads to "surprises", or major course corrections that need to be made "after the fact" as opposed to minor course corrections along the way.

I can't read your boss's mind, and don't know exactly what he/she is saying, but I interpret his/her request to mean "more frequent less-formal updates" - I DO NOT take it to mean "small talk". That way, your boss has a better idea of how something is progressing, or how well you are meeting your goals, outside of formal reviews, goal setting discussions, milestones, etc. That would also break down the "formality" that may exist between you, your boss and your peers, and allow you to develop a more collaborative relationship in your work environment.

Just my $0.02...

Dragongirlx
04-16-2010, 03:42 AM
I can't read your boss's mind, and don't know exactly what he/she is saying, but I interpret his/her request to mean "more frequent less-formal updates" - I DO NOT take it to mean "small talk". That way, your boss has a better idea of how something is progressing, or how well you are meeting your goals, outside of formal reviews, goal setting discussions, milestones, etc. That would also break down the "formality" that may exist between you, your boss and your peers, and allow you to develop a more collaborative relationship in your work environment.

Just my $0.02...

Thanks but he actually said small talk in the review.
I have decided it's not that big a deal anyway but thanks for the advice

DisneyDog
04-19-2010, 11:40 AM
TinksDH, your job sounds like it's straight out of Big Bang Theory!

garymacd
04-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Sometimes you just can't win. Our oldest daughter received a review that she was spending too much time interacting with the other staff. Her next review, after her responsibilities changed she was told she wasn't ineracting enough with the rest of the staff.

Go fig.

Princess'Mom
05-04-2010, 12:09 PM
It is a funny thing, we all live in different areas, but we all seem to work for the same company! I was just told this morning by a Sr. Manager that I wasn't being perky enough! My lack of being perky wasn't impacting my job performance nor was I being a negative person, however, I just wasn't as perky as I used to be. Go figure:blush:

Jennifer_and_Chris
05-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Performance reviews mean nothing! We have not had a raise in 4 years "because of the current state of the economy". So, what's the point of trying to get the highest grade? As long as I'm not the "worst" on the team, I'll be fine.... at least that's the thinking of many people in my company.

Seems that our corporation has settled for mediocre work (not mediocre employees! :thumbsup: ) by treating us the way that they do.

I'm mean, if I'm employed and getting good performance reviews for working at 60% capacity and quality, what's the point of working any harder and/or putting more effort into my job? no raise in salary - just a decrease in work/life balance (stress/health)? no thanks!!!