PDA

View Full Version : Disney rooms for 5?

sydzach
04-13-2010, 09:12 AM
We are planning a trip in November and just found out my MIL wants to stay with us, so that puts us at 3 adults and 2 children. My wife said she thought there was a value resort Music?? where you could have 5 to a room or Port Orleans-my question is, we plan to go the week prior to Thanksgiving, Nov 19th-23rd, would it be better to get two rooms at the value price or just go with Port Orleans? Of course this might also force me to think about staying off property as well but really had wanted to stay at a Disney resort this time.

MidnTPK
04-13-2010, 09:19 AM
I have a great MIL. But there's no way I'd want to share ONE bathroom with her, another adult, and two kids. That doesn't sound like a vacation to me but the recipe for future family feuds.

Go cheaper and get two rooms. You won't regret it.

Belster
04-13-2010, 09:20 AM
I have not done this but I have seen of here where people say that it is a better deal to get two Value rooms then one 1 delux room for 5. You will have to see what deals come out for that time of year too. Poly sleeps 5 to a room. Music resort has the family suites...not sure how many that sleeps but I know it is at least 5.
Port Orleans has some rooms with a trundle bed as well.

faline
04-13-2010, 09:21 AM
If you decide you want to stay at a moderate, Port Orleans Riverside has rooms that will accommodate a family of 5. They do this with an available trundle bed.

Kaps
04-13-2010, 09:32 AM
I would suggest 2 rooms. I have 5 people as well, 2 adults and three kids.We stay at POR with the trundle bed and it is a tight fit.

sydzach
04-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Well, I would prefer two rooms myself considering we would have my wife, her Mom, my 11 year old daughter-myself and my son might as well find a bathroom to use in the lobby of the hotel. Course with MIL staying with us, and us being on a tight budget, could help shave some cost off if I can tolerate it for 5 nights.

Strmchsr
04-13-2010, 10:16 AM
In general 2 rooms with a discount is cheaper than the suite at All-Star Music due to the fact that the suites are non-discountable. I would suggest checking with Magical Journeys and let them run all of the scenarios for you to find what would be the best route.

diz_girl
04-13-2010, 10:36 AM
I'd agree about getting two rooms in a Value resort. Once you have three or more adults in a room, it gets tight. Also, the beds are only full-size in the Values and most of the Moderates, so two connecting (or at least adjacent) rooms at a Value is probably your best bet. You get two bathrooms and everyone gets more privacy.

#1donaldfan
04-13-2010, 12:54 PM
....if your like us, and only in the room for sleep n shower, then I'd go with POR, it's cheaper than two value rooms....you will have an extra bathroom at the value, but will be at a busier resort and more crowded food court....POR is very relaxing.....even with 5 in a room....assuming you all get along real well.....:cool:

Goes4FastPass
04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Another vote for 2 values.

5 in a POR wit the trundle out is a slumber party - better suited to kids.

azcavalier
04-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I was going to say that one room at POR is cheaper than two rooms at a Value resort or the Family Suite at ASM, *however* with the MIL there I would definitely pony up the extra $$$ for either the two room or value suite option. Don't try to put three adults into a room at POR, unless you really can't afford the other options.

cajunmickey
04-13-2010, 07:50 PM
We have stayed in the Music suites and just love them. They sleep 6. We were DH, DS (19), DD(17), Girlfriend(19), My mother and my self. You have two bathrooms, one private room and the small kitchenette. We would stay here again anytime. With the special they had we are trying 2 rooms the end on May at POFQ.

Touchdown
04-13-2010, 08:24 PM
I dont know if this is an option for you ($) but you might want to look into a DVC property, they have one and two bedroom units (with sleeper sofas.) You also get a in unit washer dryer and full kitchen.

1DisneyNut
04-13-2010, 08:34 PM
I would also go with two value resort rooms. The Family suite is over priced and it is simply two value rooms converted to have a mini kitchen on one side. They do still have the two bathrooms though. The only advantage over two standard value rooms is the mini kitchen, if you are not going to cook anything, there is no use for it.
POR with a trundle bed is great for 2 adults and 3 young children but I don't think I would go that route in your case. The one bathroom will become an issue with everyone trying to get ready.
As for renting the DVC rooms, depending on which type room and which resort you selected you would be able to get anywhere from about 3 to 8 rooms at a value resort or 2 to 6 rooms at a moderate for the same price. I know because we rented a 2 room at Saratoga a few years ago and it ended costing way more than it was worth considering we were only there 8 to 10 hours at night to sleep and get ready. I would rent an off site house from Allstar before I would rent a DVC again.

sydzach
04-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Tell me more about DVC and the offsite house from allstar??

My wife suggested the one room suite but of course this is her Mom we are talking about, so it would be easier for her to share a room with her Mom than it would be for me. We shall see what we decide but we need to decide soon-I want to go ahead and book something. My wife's sister, her husband and one child are also coming down with us but they have a camper and have already made their reservations at Camp Wilderness-they are staying 4 nights, 50 bucks a night for hookup so a total of $200. I wish we could get a $50 a night deal, that would be sweet but I know that is not going to happen.

bruin1344
04-14-2010, 12:53 PM
vote for 2 value rooms

Touchdown
04-14-2010, 01:52 PM
You can get DVC villas at the Cotemporary (aka Bay Lake Tower,) Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Old Key West and Sarasota Spring the last two being the cheapest and only locations where every room is a DVC room. You can stay in them just like a normal hotel and pay Disney directly or you can rent points from DVC members.

Rekenna
04-14-2010, 02:09 PM
I wish we could get a $50 a night deal, that would be sweet but I know that is not going to happen.

Last year I did get this great rate, about $50/nt for 2 value rooms. I got an awesome PIN code, but alas, not this year, maybe a room rate special will come out...

We did 2 Value rooms with 3 adults, 2 kids and 1 baby. It worked out great and of course I had a great room deal so that was nice too. You get 4 double beds, 2 TV's (which can be important at the end of a long day when everyone wants to just chill and watch their shows), 2 toilets, 2 showers, we rented 1 fridge for milk and soft drinks. It worked out really well.

Good luck! Have fun!:mickey:

1DisneyNut
04-14-2010, 10:58 PM
You can get pricing on DVC rentals in reservations online or by calling reservations just like you can regular rooms. They are usually pricey though. All star vacation rental homes is one of our site sponsors and there is a link on the left under ICOT Sponsors. They have homes to fit every family size and most if not all are within a few miles of WDW gates. The only draw back to going off site is you can't get in for extra magic hours.

azcavalier
04-15-2010, 09:25 AM
If you're not familiar with renting DVC points (and how the whole point system works), it can get complicated.

So, either you pay Disney the $$$ up front, or you find a message board where DVC members post that they are willing to rent points, and you pay the DVC owner for the points needed to book their DVC property. The going rate is usually about $10/point. So, for example, in three weeks my DW and I are staying at the Villas at Fort Wilderness for four nights, in a studio. It will cost us a mere 56 points. So, if I were to rent it out, it would be $560 for a week at the Wilderness Lodge. But that's a studio. A 1 or 2 bedroom suite would be a lot more.

plutolovr
04-15-2010, 09:58 PM
The going rate is usually about $10/point. So, for example, in three weeks my DW and I are staying at the Villas at Fort Wilderness for four nights, in a studio.

I think you meant to say you were staying at Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Fort Wilderness is the campground and not a DVC resort.

But since you mentioned Fort Wilderness, I think this is a great option for the OP. We used to stay here when we took my mom with us. She would share the bedroom with the kids and my DH and I would take the murphy bed in the living room. The extra cost for the cabin can be hedged by having breakfast in the cabin utilizing the full kitchen.

CU Tiger
04-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Another option is the FW cabins. We have stayed here each of the past 5 years with 6 people. 2 of them are my parents. Having the full kitchen, a living room, and seperate bed room is great. You are not on top of each other. You can also hang out on the deck and there is a lot to do in FW. This is one or our favorate places to stay!:number1::mickey: