PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here from Memphis??

ddcrna
04-12-2010, 08:47 PM
So, we are a family of Yankees from Maine and are visiting Memphis this week. We went to the Zoo today and really liked it. Tomorrow we are planning to go to the Civil Rights Museum, Beale Street and maybe find Corky's for dinner. here's the question - are we safe in those areas? Don't want to sound paranoid, just aren't used to the bigger cities, especially inner cities.

Thanks!

IceRef
04-12-2010, 10:01 PM
ddcrna:

Hope this helps a bit at a late hour, but should be able to add a bit to your questions.

We have been to the Civil Rights Museum and Beale Street on a number of occasions, and never felt ill at ease.

Not sure where you might be staying or transportation options, but the Corky's in Cordova (Northeast suburb of the city) is very accessible. Just an easy shot off of I-40 on Germantown Pkwy. It is tucked away in a bit of a strip mall location, so watch your directions or it' can be a bit of a tough find. This is always a "must" stop for a meal on the trips down from Wisconsin to visit our son.

Advnt05
04-19-2010, 02:19 PM
I guess you've probably already left Memphis. My wife is from there and we've felt safe every time we go back. Bealle street is fun. I like Rendevous and Corky's ribs. Both are different but good. Neally's Interstate B-Bcue is good too.
The only crime issue we've had is that we went to the dog park and got our car broken into while we were at the park. That stunk.
You should look at Mud Island and the Pink Palace too while you are there.