PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Trip!

mook3y
04-12-2010, 12:51 PM
So, we had a vacation planned for the end of September, which our kids (DS 7, DD5, DS1) were aware of.

But we took advantage of the great discounts on Deluxe resorts to upgrade and to move our vacation forward to May 4th, staying at the POLY.

Our kids have no idea!!!

It is driving me and DW crazy with excitement!!

1) the Poly is our dream resort to stay at.
2) the kids are going to flip their gords when they find out.

Our plan is on the 3rd to drive down to Kansas City (its a 3 hour drive). When I get off work on the 3rd, the van will already be packed (while they are at school) and they will be told that daddy has a surprise for them tonight.

When I get home, the 1st surprise will be that we are going to go out for dinner.

However, we will get dinner to go and head right out of town. We figure they will ask right away where we are going, so we are going to tell them "for a drive".

At some point during the drive, we are going to have to admit we are going to Kansas City. So, we will tell them we are doing a surprise vacation there.

We have a flight at 8:30 am, so.... we will get up, have breakfast at the hotel (at this point the plan is for me to go get the luggage from the room and get it to the shuttle) and take the shuttle to the airport.

We are guessing that by the time we get out of the van, they will realize that there is more going on than a trip to KC. :D

Both of the older kids had their first haircuts at WDW. We keep joking about how our baby's hair is getting long and we hope he can make it till September for his hair cut.

So, by the time we get to the airport, we will tell them that we are taking the baby to get a haircut.

I am thinking they are going to flip out big time in the van (probably better warn the van driver before hand eh?).

We are expecting quite a reaction and going to try and get it on video.

Anyone else done something like this with there little kids?

Would love to hear how it went for others!

WOOT! :cloud9: :mickey: :cool:

Seasonscraps
04-12-2010, 12:59 PM
That sounds so fun and exciting!!! :mickey:

Disneymom201
04-12-2010, 01:29 PM
We are planning something similar. We are booked for AKL October 6th! This will be our
6th trip in 6 years. The kids (DS's 10 &7) are constantly asking "why can't we go back this year." Our response has been: it just is not in our budget or you will appreciate the vacation more if we don't go every year. The plan is to wake the kids early on the 6th and give them the choice "Do you want to go to school or do you want to go to Disney?" We too want to cam-cord the event as well. I cannot wait.....I think the whole surprise thing is what is making me sooooo excited about this vacation. The difficult part will be getting everything packed and school notified of their absence WITHOUT them finding out!
Best of luck....sounds like a terrific plan. Gosh, I wish we had parents as cool as us! Let us know how it turns out.

2005 -2007: Off Property
2008: Grand Floridian
2009: Wilderness Lodge
2010: AKL Surpise Trip!!!!!!

wdwluv
04-12-2010, 01:40 PM
How funny! Surprise trip for us in May too! It is just about KILLING me to not share the news with the kids!!!

We are gonna have our van all packed to pick up the kids after school and head to the airport!
(we are doing a split trip though - 6 days at St. Pete's first, then we are gonna be sadly heading home....but SURPRISE! WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY FOR 5 DAYS!! :mickey:)

jodijo
04-12-2010, 01:41 PM
We did a surprise trip a few years ago. It was so exciting. I packed for everyone and hid the suitcases. We told the kids that we were taking their grandparents to the airport because they were going on a trip. When we got to the airport we told them to get out of the car. It was late at night and they were tired and argued with us. I told them that they could stay in the car but that they would miss their trip to Disney World. They were so excited. I waited to tell them which hotel until we pulled up. We stayed at WL for the 1st time and they were jumping up and down in the car when they realized it.

Have a wonderful time and say Hi to Mickey for me :mickey:

mook3y
04-12-2010, 02:55 PM
How funny! Surprise trip for us in May too! It is just about KILLING me to not share the news with the kids!!!

We are gonna have our van all packed to pick up the kids after school and head to the airport!
(we are doing a split trip though - 6 days at St. Pete's first, then we are gonna be sadly heading home....but SURPRISE! WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY FOR 5 DAYS!! :mickey:)

I know what you mean! We talk about it a little bit with the kids referring to the end of Sept. But, then I made a mention of Ohana's on Mothers Day...... whoops.

Luckily I covered quickly and now we don't bring it up as often!

TiggerFan3590
04-12-2010, 03:17 PM
We are going for our DS's birthday in December after 5 years of planning.... I have upgraded us to CL at the BC and it is killing me to not say anything.

Your plan sounds like great fun! Have a great time!
:blush:

KylesMom
04-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Congrats on being able to move the trip up & stay at the Poly, Mook3y! I'm certain this will prove to be a lifetime memory, regardless of how/when you decide to tell them! :mickey:

danicafan
04-12-2010, 03:37 PM
That is so AWESOME that you are able to surpise them! My favorite memory from working on the Walt Disney World College Program (I worked tickets) and happened to be working the MK Turnstiles and two little boys came running up to the turnstiles and were so excited because their dad told them that they were going to the airport to watch airplanes taking off and instead they got on a plane and went to Disney World!