PDA

View Full Version : What's your biggest splurge at WDW?

TheVBs
04-12-2010, 08:11 AM
What have you really splurged on while on a trip to WDW? One year I bought a metal, enameled Tinker Bell figurine accented with Swarovski crystals. Never even got close to something with a similar price tag before or since!

magicofdisney
04-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Besides the trip itself ;) my biggest purchase was a big statue Mickey. :mickey:

Ksmith75
04-12-2010, 08:20 AM
There wasnt one item. But, last year - we did a whole lot of shopping....more than we normally did there, like by 4 times as much. Pin lanyard, pins, sweatshirt, t-shirts, candies, hair accessories, jewelry, games, tote bags, christmas stockings, stuffed animals...you name it!!!! (We always take a collaspable duffle in our suitcase and almost didnt get everything in our luggage! .....We will be back in less than 2 weeks - and Mouse Gear and World of Disney is a waitin' for me!

ginny57
04-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Depending on my finances at the time, I do buy lots of stuff (even travel with an empty suitcase to get it all home) but I try to be reasonable about what items cost.

That being said, on my last trip, I bought a Dooney Mickey bag and spent more $$ on that thing than I EVER have on a purse....and I LOVE IT!!! I guess it's OK to be good to myself once in a while :secret:.

PopPhan
04-12-2010, 02:39 PM
La Nouba Category 1 seats!

Other than that, we are pretty frugal on our WDW trips.

Tygger7
04-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Depending on my finances at the time, I do buy lots of stuff (even travel with an empty suitcase to get it all home) but I try to be reasonable about what items cost.

That being said, on my last trip, I bought a Dooney Mickey bag and spent more $$ on that thing than I EVER have on a purse....and I LOVE IT!!! I guess it's OK to be good to myself once in a while :secret:.

That's what I plan on getting on our next trip!! I've been drooling over one of the new bags that was just released and I can't WAIT to get it! We're really pulling out all the stops for our next trip...usually, we have our DD & one of her friends, but she can't make it due to school. So....mom & dad get to splurge a little. :D We're doing the Keys to the Kingdom tour, the Wilderness Segway Tour, Cirque du Soleil, and a large budget for drinks & snacks. :spend: This will be the first vacation I won't have to be worrying about how I'm spending every penny...and I can't wait!!!

BrerGnat
04-12-2010, 05:56 PM
We stay Club Level. That's our splurge. We're not into buying "things" on vacation; we buy an experience.

Tinkerfreak
04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Bought a pair of Gucci sunglasses as Icon at DTD.
I saw the new Douney Bag. Some woman came into the store I work at with one. She said she waited an hour and a half and Trend D to get it. I liked the ones they had in November but not as much as this one so I am glad I didn't get the other one. I will be getting the new pattern next month.

Carolanne
04-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Me too! Well, last November I splurged on a D&B WDW wristlet because I couldn't bring myself to spend so much on a bag. Then when I got home, I called WDW Mail Order so I could order the bag, lol. I have a trip coming up in May, and I'm already trying to make myself "be good" and not splurge on the new D&B WDW design, but something tells me that I don't have that kind of willpower :D

russ57
04-12-2010, 07:25 PM
a watch and cell from main street jewelry store both in 2001 and 2006, 1st of bambi and thumper, 2nd of Lady and the Tramp

Chic-a-pin
04-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Does alcohol count? One year we spent $60 in one night on drinks (which wasn't really that many, haha!) :thedolls:

DVC2004
04-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Does alcohol count? One year we spent $60 in one night on drinks (which wasn't really that many, haha!) :thedolls:

LOL that is ours too. Not that we are alcoholics but we're on vacation. My husband wants his beers around the world at Epcot and I want a glass of wine at dinner. It's easy to spend alot on drinks there.:marg::beer:

We're not big shoppers when we're there because when the kids were little we bought them just about everything that was for sale at WDW. Now we all got that out of our systems! I must admit we were considering a painting once at the gallery in the Poly, we really liked it but I just couldn't convince myself to spend that amount of money. I'd rather put it toward the next trip.

Darbylew
04-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Sounds like I will be looking for the bag when I
go in May. Where did you find the Dooney
Mickey Bag? I hope I can find it. :mickey:

badkitty
04-13-2010, 12:37 AM
For me, it was two nights, lagoon view at the Poly. It was wonderful. I could see Space Mountain and part of Cinderella Castle. I could even hear the music from the park entrance. Saving all my $$ so that I can stay there again someday. :cloud9:

Fastpasssteve
04-13-2010, 01:04 AM
I collect hand-blown glass Christmas tree ornaments. This last trip down, I found some lovely ornaments in Germany in EPCOT. They were a mille fiori-style and weren't obviously Disney, yet a lovely remembrance of the trip. I like a themed tree, so to buy one or two would be silly...so I bought...many. That batch cost a lot of money, but I'm looking forward to putting up my tree this year!

Wishmaker
04-13-2010, 07:26 AM

Same here. This year, if I can get it worked out, I believe my daughter and I want to have a spa day. :cloud9:

Tygger7
04-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Sounds like I will be looking for the bag when I
go in May. Where did you find the Dooney
Mickey Bag? I hope I can find it. :mickey:

I know TrenD at Downtown Disney has them...I've also heard that a couple of the shops at DHS have them, but I can't remember the names of the shops.

LittleD
04-13-2010, 08:22 AM
Party-of The-Senses during the F&WF.
This I think we will have to for go the party, this year, it's getting way too expensive.

ginny57
04-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Got my bag (barrel bag-black with multi colored Mickeys on it) in DTD @ World of Disney in the Jewelry section of the store. They had quite a selection.

I highly recommend a Margarita from the Margarita Bar @ DTD 1st....I used that as MY excuse!! :marg: ;)

crltkcagle
04-13-2010, 02:01 PM
My pirates of the carribean watch that I have worn since I purchased it in 2007! I also splurge on pins.

mdhiggin
04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
BBB for my two princesses was $400. Yikes!

SurferStitch
04-13-2010, 07:13 PM
My biggest splurge was in May 2008 when I bought a framed giclee on canvas at the Polynesian. It's called Kauai Dream and was done by James Coleman (18" x 24"). It's Lilo and Stitch surfing, and I fell in love with it when I saw it. I have one of 95 prints (don't know the number off hand, and too lazy to walk downstairs to see).

DH and I walked out of the store without buying it, but he knew how much I loved it, so he took me back in to buy it. That was a big splurge. I had to wait a couple months until it was printed and shipped to me, but it was so worth the wait.

Other smaller splurges have been a Dooney & Bourke handbag and wristlet, many big figures and a framed artist proof of Princess Aurora and the fairies from Art of Disney (18" x 24").

caryrae
04-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Our biggest splurge is staying at a Disney Resort since we don't buy much but t-shirts or hats. One year for our Anniversary though we each bought a nice watch from the watch store on Main Street and had dinner at the California Grill, which was awesome.

slpngbty56
04-13-2010, 10:58 PM
We did the "Breathless cruise" and got the Light up Mickey Crystal with the family pic inside. Both were worth the $$$ .Very Nice!!

AdventurerKim
04-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I buy whatever and however many pins I want!

Disneyfan28
04-14-2010, 04:36 PM

Where did you find that purse? I looked everywhere when we were there last may & didnt find it. Have only seen it online. We are headed back in 33 days so maybe I'll have better luck finding it this time...:mickey:

Disneyfan28
04-14-2010, 04:59 PM
Just found a site that lists all the places you can get them at the world....they must not have had them when i was there last may. You can get them at WOD, DHS, Uptown Jewelers @ MK, Grand Floridian & Yacht Club. I know what I'll be splurging on next!:thumbsup:

AHOTE
04-15-2010, 12:44 AM
Back in 1989 I bought Walt's Triple Self Portrait limited edition lithograph by Charles Boyer that, once professionally framed, cost me almost what my entire trip cost at that time. Our biggest splurge has yet to come...When the Grand Floridian first opened we had dinner at Victoria & Albert's and it was something we remember fondly. We are planning our Dec 2011/Jan 2012 trip and we hope to get reservations at Victoria & Albert's New Years Eve Dining Event. I'm sure it will be a great way to send out the old year and ring in the new. Starting after our next trip we will start saving a dollar a day each specifically for that purpose. Even with price increases we should have more than enough and a dollar a day won't be missed.

DisneyPrincess21
04-15-2010, 01:47 AM
We did the "Breathless cruise" and got the Light up Mickey Crystal with the family pic inside.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what is the "breathless cruise" and if you don't mind me asking, how much was the Light up mickey crystal?

joonyer
04-15-2010, 11:19 AM
We usually get t-shirts, and the ordinary souvenirs, maybe a new beach towel, but I don't consider that a "splurge"

What we probably spend the most $$ on, (other than room & food, of course) are Disney Christmas ornaments and decorations.

grumpyguy
04-15-2010, 12:12 PM
no brainer.PINS,PINS,PINS!!!:thumbsup:

TheVBs
04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
So fun reading all the responses!! :mickey:

luvdiznee
04-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Staying at the Poly or BWI. For my nephew though, was about $50 in Legos. :secret:

SurferStitch
04-15-2010, 11:50 PM
I forgot to mention our dinners at V&A. Those are a definite splurge, especially when you add on things like Kobe or Wagyu beef. Worth EVERY penny!!!

passholderryan
04-16-2010, 10:37 AM

Its easy to do at $9 for a beer in UK....that being said my splurge was getting married at the Swan and Dolphin. That cost and arm and a leg, but so worth it!!!!

MIKESMOM
04-17-2010, 08:46 AM
My biggest splurge will be purchased on my trip in Oct. I have been saving to buy a watch & cell of The Evil Queen.

finaldynasty
04-17-2010, 11:57 AM
We buy clothes, jewelery, and even though we are on the dining plan usually buy alot that is not on the dining plan...I also by new ears for my DW and 3 DKs every year! I let my DS design mine.

Rekenna
04-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Mine was my Mickey Silver Bangle Watch my DH bought for me when they used to have a watch store at DHS. It was $75, and I have worn it everyday for 2 years, so a good buy.

I also have a D&B wristlet, the black one. I love it, I also use it everyday as well.

Now I want to shop!:mickey:

Rekenna
04-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Also, the Grand Marnier Orange Slushie, at $9 a pop it's pretty pricey, but soooooo worth it!:marg:

RAIDER
04-19-2010, 07:09 AM
As we get a better rate on the $ compared to the £ its always clothes shopping and especailly in the reebok store :blush:

JoF
04-19-2010, 07:45 AM
As we get a better rate on the $ compared to the £ its always clothes shopping and especailly in the reebok store :blush:

Agreed - have to have at least one trip to a mall - stock up on Clinique make-up - the one I use is no longer stocked in the UK, clothes and shoes :thumbsup:

epceddie
04-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Ten-day no-expiration MYW tickets!

queenmom9497
04-24-2010, 09:19 AM
On our first trip (early nursing school graduation), DH bought a metal, enameled Minne Mouse nurse figurine accented with Swarovski crystals. He hid it from me until the actual graduation ceremony. Brought the magic back a few months later.

This year we are splurging on concierge (club) level at BWI. Wondering how it will be? :fingers:

kemps@wdw
04-24-2010, 11:57 PM
DH gets the large, ceramic character statues @ The Art of Disney store. And we alwasys get some kind of WDW print/poster and have it framed w/a dated pin.

forever a child
04-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Aside from the actual cost of the trip, it is usually PHOTOS. We will be doing a professional photo shoot at the Poly this visit. Also, we are doing the Pirates and Pals Voyage. Would have had a bit more $ to spend without these two expenses.

It tends to be more of an "experience" for us than buying things. Not much into souvenirs.:mickey:

TheVBs
04-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Aside from the actual cost of the trip, it is usually PHOTOS. We will be doing a professional photo shoot at the Poly this visit. Also, we are doing the Pirates and Pals Voyage. Would have had a bit more $ to spend without these two expenses.

It tends to be more of an "experience" for us than buying things. Not much into souvenirs.:mickey:

After reading this I realize that we spent quite a bit on photos one trip. This was before the pre-purchase CD was available, or at least, before I knew about it. Did the pre-purchase last trip and it saved us loads! :mickey:

SingingLights
04-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Our biggest splurg was 3 years in January, I bought leather coats for the whole family. We are still wearing them and think of WDW each time we put them on. I had kind of forgot how much we spent until your question and now I am remembering that VERY LARGE purchase all over again. Thanks!!! LOL

mjm12000
04-29-2010, 05:56 PM
In about a 5 minute spending spree a few years ago I bought over $1500.00 worth of KATHRINE BAUMANN collectibles at the World of Disney Store, they are tiny Swarovski Crystal encrusted containers (minaudieres) one is a pill box with a Minnie mouse design, is a compact also with the minnie design and (these I bought for my mom and sister) and for myself a business card holder with Mickey Mouse design, the three pieces together came to $1500 which is not bad at all for such beautiful hand made creations by a famous jewellery designer.

IloveDisney71
04-29-2010, 06:08 PM
My biggest splurge was treating ourselves to a stay at Poly. We usually stay at values and every once in a while a moderate.
The most expensive single item I've ever bought was a snowglobe. :mickey: I usually just spread my spending around on lots of smaller purchases.

TheVBs
05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Our biggest splurg was 3 years in January, I bought leather coats for the whole family. We are still wearing them and think of WDW each time we put them on. I had kind of forgot how much we spent until your question and now I am remembering that VERY LARGE purchase all over again. Thanks!!! LOL

LOL! Sorry! :blush:

pink
05-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Other than the trip itself the biggest splurge I ever spent at Disney World was when I allowed myself to purchase both a Disney World sweatshirt and a scarf all in one night.

I'm young and I don't have a lot of money so $50 was a lot for me, it was even more to me back then haha.

I couldn't decide between the two things so I just got them both and I am so glad that I did because I use them both all the time. :mickey:

The scarf is really nice to it's a black and grey scarf, it is supposed to be a copy cat of a Coach scarf and instead of C's it has Mickey Mouse shapes. It's so soft!

phlo8810
05-04-2010, 01:27 PM
We always get the Deluxe Dining Plan.

jenny1976
05-04-2010, 03:27 PM
160 points @ BLT but SOOOOOO worth it!!! Also, I bought all the PM Princess figurines @ the ART OF DISNEY for our new nursery!!!

princessjojo
05-05-2010, 11:01 AM
Usually we don't buy too much of anything; t-shirt here, christmas ornament there, maybe a new beach/pool towel or something. But a few years ago we went during Easter and there was a cold front that came thru. Jackets and swearshirts were a premium at that time. Just so happened that that was the same year my sunglasses broke so I bought new oakley's and maui jims in the same purchase. Other than that, DDP is usually our splurge.

tdk316
05-14-2010, 03:39 PM
Chef's table at V&A for my mom and family for Mother's Day a couple of years ago. Big expense, but she loved it (and so did we!). :mickey:

MKFD43
05-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Back in the day (early 90s) I used to buy OAKley sunglasses in tomorrow land. Big bucks for a highschooler.

In my dreams
06-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I bought a RED fleece lined hooded jacket 6 yrs ago at the CR gift store. It has a big Mickey Mouse on the back, his face and shoes are in silver glitter and it has "Walt Disney World" printed above that. I think it was $65.00. I never blinked an eye-lash, I HAD to have it. And I STILL LOVE THAT JACKET!!!:D

Patti
06-19-2010, 08:41 PM
1. 230 DVC points at SSR
2. APs
3. Dooney & Bourke sketch tassel tote (version 1)

Pigtunia
06-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Some of the dinners. ;)

Especially, Cali Grill and Yachtsmen. :cloud9:

kemps@wdw
06-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Being @ WDW!! Our splurge is the trip itself. WE spend a little extra to get the better view because we enjoy our "balcony time" more as we get older. This year, we'll be doing the Keys tour and maybe a litle parasailing. Other than the standard scrapbookng supplies, t-shirts, and dated prints and pins, my DH usually gets a big character statue from The Art of Disney. :balloon:

EpcotFan182
06-28-2010, 11:32 AM
One year I went crazy on pins and spent most of my spending money on them. Who knows what it will be this year! :mickey:

Michelle15
06-28-2010, 11:45 AM
I have to say my biggest purchase at disney was Mickey Mouse Hoodie! I know its not much but I am a sucker for hoodies :mickey: I would love to be able to purchase the swaroski crystal Castle! I have to go to the store and look at everytime we are in DTD. One day just maybe one day.

pokci
07-05-2010, 08:24 AM
At the end of every trip I get a Steiff bear in Germany. I collect bears and the ones from WDW always bring me back to being there...:cloud9:

madhatterrules
07-12-2010, 09:35 PM

La Nouba was one of our best splurges! Just spectacular:thumbsup:

Dznygrl79
07-13-2010, 04:33 PM
My biggest splurge was during my last solo trip and I took the EPCOT seas aqua tour!! I loved every min! Swimming in the living seas tank was amazing! At the end of the tour when I found out most (if not all) of the money went to the conservation fund I got a warm fuzzy also!!!
I am thinking I may splurge and go to a moderate (pofq) for my next trip!

PinKy
07-15-2010, 03:17 PM
Um, my DVC?? LOL!

We usually just spend most of our $$ on dining and drinks and photopass..... we shop - but its mostly small things. :-)

PETE FROM NYC
07-19-2010, 05:43 PM
I guess our biggest splurge was signing up for DVC last year.
Besides that,I buy a few small items. My wife was born with the shopping gene, not me.

EeyoresBestFriend
07-25-2010, 12:50 PM
My DH has a weakness for the limited edition cels, but I think I currently hold the record for most expensive piece.

My gold Disney wedding band that I had debated buying for years and then finally decided to splurge on it . Thank gawd I did, for they seemed to stop making them that year and I haven't seen them since in the parks. It is my favourite piece of Disney that is with me always!! :cloud9:

ibelieveindisneymagic
08-01-2010, 06:26 PM
My biggest splurge wasn't mine - my DH bought my engagement ring from WoD, and I love it :)

People get such a kick out of the fact I have a Mickey Mouse ring :mickey:

momef3grls
08-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Just splurged on my DD bought her a kimono and obi, sake set and a necklace with the castle out of crystals..what can I say she is my baby and just turned 16.

sneezyone
08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
for our 5th wedding anniversary, my husband had the disney artist create a Sneezy watch for me and had it framed with "5th Wedding Anniversary-September 26, 2003" written on the glass of the frame.

It was pricy, but I always say that if there's a fire in the house the ONLY thing I'd worry about grabbing is my watch!

BellesRose
08-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I had just graduated high school and had a load of graduation money. I was really into Tinkerbell at the time, and I went to the Contemporary to visit the pin store. Bad idea! They had just released a bunch of Tink pins and I blew all my money there. I haven't been back since!

Also, I found an autographed picture at DHS. The picture is of "It's A Wonderful Life" and the little girl that played ZuZu had signed it. I probably paid too much for it ($90) but at least I still have it! And it was during the MGM-DHS transition so it has the MGM price tag, which makes it even more special to me.

IloveJack
08-31-2010, 09:34 AM
For our 2nd anniversary, DH and I purchased a framed painting of Aslan overlooking Narnia, with the White Witch's castle in the far background. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe has always been my favorite book, and when I saw the painting, I fell in love. DH demanded to get it for me. With shipping (as it's larger than a suitcase), it cost nearly $800, almost as much as our trip! But every day, I sit in my living room and see it over our couch. It was well worth it.

SBETigg
08-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Our last trip was full of splurges. I was going to say our spa day, because that was fantastic and expensive, but then I remembered that my husband and I went crazy in the Wyatt gallery at the Polynesian. He bought a bronze panda statue for his desk (which still hasn't been shipped here yet, we just got back) and then he told me to browse the jewelry and pick whatever I wanted. I picked. Oh yeah. We dropped some big money that day, and it was so fun! :thumbsup:

The bronze panda topped my jewelry purchases, though (which were not overly expensive individually but added up), and it is definitely the biggest splurge for us while on vacation at WDW or anywhere. And the kicker is that it's going in his office at work! I won't even get to admire it at home.

pcoleman
08-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Every time we go I purchase a new handbag and my DH picks out a new peace of jewelry for me. He has great taste. It's just something he did the first visit and just kept it going.

Mogie
08-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Chef's Counter at the flagship restaurants like CA Grill and Jiko this september.

We did the Chef's Counter at the Napa Rose restaurant at the Grand Californian Hotel with the wine pairings. The chef asked us what we like and dont like, and created a menu for us. The somelier came over and paired each dish with particular glasses of really great wine from the wine cellar. We sat right at the counter looking into the open kitchen. The chef chatted with us while he chopped and cooked etc. It was really awesome, but REALLy pricey haha.

EeyoresBestFriend
08-31-2010, 01:43 PM
Every time we go I purchase a new handbag and my DH picks out a new peace of jewelry for me. He has great taste. It's just something he did the first visit and just kept it going.

Have you found that the jewelry to be pretty slim pickins these days? I always check & have been finding less and less to look at ~ even in their watch selections. :(

emfleck
08-31-2010, 03:12 PM
I bought a sweater at the store in Norway. I had been looking at it for severa years before I finally decided to buy it.

SBETigg
08-31-2010, 03:16 PM
My brain has not reformed yet from vacation. In my post, I said Wyatt Gallery, and I obviously meant Wyland Gallery. My apologies to Andrew Wyland. Not that it matters. You all knew what I meant. :blush:

SBETigg
08-31-2010, 03:17 PM
I bought a sweater at the store in Norway. I had been looking at it for severa years before I finally decided to buy it.

Oh, do you love it? I always look at those sweaters and always change my mind before buying. I bet they hold up for years and prove well worth the price.