PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian

HoosierDisneyFan
04-11-2010, 01:59 PM
All:

I have gone to Disney many times over the past 5 years but have always stayed at POFQ or POR. This to Disney and I decided to upgrade to GF (thanks to bound back offering savings!). We have a garden view and want to limit the walking distance to and from the monorail / buses. What builing would you suggest? Do all rooms have balconies? Also can some give me some pluses or things were should look for in the resort (other the than obivous monorail availability) and things to avoid.

Thanks everyoe!

TammiMcMan
04-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Big Pine Key is pretty much the closest building to main building entrance. It's also between both pools and steps from the beach. All standard rooms have either a patio or balcony and most of the garden view rooms here look towards the pool and courtyard landscaping. A few rooms might have a slightly less desirable view that would overlook another building.

Sago Cay is actually the closest to the bus, as there is a pathway alongside the building that leads right to the bus stop. It's also closest to the 24 hour counter service food place. All standard rooms have a patio or balcony and one side of the building overlooks the marina (garden view category). If you're in a room on the backside, you can watch the monorial go by from your balcony. A plus to this building, is that at night, you just step outside the front entrance and you can watch the fireworks.

To be honest, even from the furthest building, it's no more than a 6 or 7 minute leisurely walk to the monorail or bus. The resort property is small and not really that spread out.

The GF offers private rental cabanas to their guests. They're located by the theme pool and have upgraded lounge chairs, covered cabana, table, chairs, fridge, entertainment center.

Private dining will deliver anywhere on the property, so if you want to snuggle with your sweetie on a beach lounge chair with champagne and strawberries, they'll do that for you. There are also some secluded spots around the resort, where they can set up a romantic dinner for two. Sounds extravagant, but it's no more than the cost of a signature dining meal.

The spa is very nice for relaxing, even if you don't want to book a treatment, you can use the facility as a GF guest.

In the evening, the GF Orchestra plays on the 2nd floor balcony of the main building. You can sit in the lobby and listen, or go up to Mizners lounge for a drink.

If you are driving, just be aware that the self parking lot is across the street from the GF. You definitely want to drive up first to the resort and drop off any luggage before parking.

Monorail is great for getting to the MK. Coming back, you can take the resort boat. When we go to Epcot, we typically take the monorail to MK, hop off and walk to the BC/YC bus. We take that to the BC, walk through the resort and enter Epcot through the back entrance.

There's a nice walking path that connects the GF to the Poly.

Fastpasssteve
04-13-2010, 01:27 AM
I echo TammiMcMann's thorough review!

The GF Orchestra plays in the evening, trading sets with a wonderful pianist in the lower level of the lobby. This is a romantic spot in the evening.

I particularly love the Afternoon Tea in the Garden Room.

I know you were interesting in proximity to buses and monorail, but don't overlook the benefit of the boat to the MK or Poly. It is quick and fun.