PDA

View Full Version : Grand Floridian or Poly?

lala71474
04-11-2010, 10:42 AM
So, the DH and I are staying at the Dolphin for the last five nights of our Disney vacation. The first three nights of our stay we are looking for a monorail hotel and can't decide between the Grand Floridan and the Poly. We have stayed at the Poly and LOVED it. DH has always wanted to try the Grand FL. Does anyone have any thoughts on which is better? It is very pricey so would hate to book the Grand Fl and be sorry.

Thoughts?

RaRaRoundTheWorld
04-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Our family has stayed at both resorts and prefers the GF. However, since you mentioned loving the Poly, and seem to have misgivings about the GF - go with the Poly. You can always walk over and have a meal or relax at the GF.

wmdaddy
04-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Before I stayed at either, I would have said the Poly. After having stayed at both, I'd say GF, hands down.

TammiMcMan
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
3 nights sounds like a good amount of time to try something new. The theming is very different and people who haven't stayed there tend to describe the GF as stuffy, but that's definitely not the case. Between the two pools and the beach, it doesn't feel overly crowded and you can try to reserve a private cabana by the theme pool to ensure that you have a nice place to hang out for the day or 1/2 day.

Garden view rooms at the GF are the lowest price category and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. All standard rooms have a patio or balcony and nearly all the garden view rooms offer a very nice view of the landscaping, pool or marina.

renecat
04-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Done both GF has my vote.

DVC2004
04-12-2010, 06:09 PM
I've stayed at both. They're both phenomenal. I don't think you wouldn't enjoy either one. My personal preference is the Poly. It's alot of moving around but you could always split the stay and do 2 nights/1 night ( 2 nights GF/1 Poly of vice versa). However I'd probably say to try something new (GF) since you've already been to Poly. :mickey:

Beauty908
04-14-2010, 04:36 PM
I think it depends on your tastes--are you looking for a natural paradise or a grand mansion? I prefer the natural feel of the Poly. GF is a bit to frilly for me--i feel like you have to be dressed up to live there.

big blue and hairy
04-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Done both GF has my vote.

Same answer, for a different reason. You have tried the Poly, which is terrific, but you haven't tried GF which is also terrific!

:sulley:

phillydan
04-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Stayed at both - we love the GF. Yes, it is different than Poly, but I never felt that it was stuffy. Obviously, they have some nicer amenities and there are places where you definitely want to get dressed up a bit, but I've never felt out of place walking around in vacation attire. It is definitely worth trying out something new.

lala71474
04-15-2010, 09:17 AM
Thank you so much for all your responses. I think we are going to give GF a try. Sooooo looking forward to it! I know October is a long ways away but we are counting the days!!! I LOVE DISNEY! :mickey: