PDA

View Full Version : Mousekeeping and Tipping ?

GINNY69
04-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Hi I am staying at the Boardwalk and I usually like to leave Mousekeeping a note to thank them for the clean room and to request some extra towels,soap, and shampoo. I was wondering what do other guest usually leave for a tip? I was thinking $10.00 a day. Any advice would be great thanks a lot..

:pixie: :pixie: :pixie:

Leaving for WDW in 6 days..:yay: :stitch:

DreamFinder2
04-11-2010, 09:47 AM
You've opened a can of worms!!!

Lots of threads already on this topic, but here's my response...

Tip what you feel comfortable with. If that's $10/day, then go for it. Many people don't tip at all. It should depend on the level of service you request/receive and how comfortable your budget is with tipping.

Having said all that...my DW and I (no kids) tip $4/day in a Disney-decorated envelope left for the Mousekeeper each day. We don't tip weekly in case our Mousekeeper changes mid-stay.

forever a child
04-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Many people will say $X per Mousekeeper. So my question to add to this post is, How many Mousekeepers are there usually per room? I dont know if that is 1, 2 or 3.

I can't imagine it is more than 3 people cleaning a room. But if I leave an amount for tip I want to make sure it is proper for the # of people cleaning and in bill denominations where it can equally be distributed.

Seasonscraps
04-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Many people will say $X per Mousekeeper. So my question to add to this post is, How many Mousekeepers are there usually per room? I dont know if that is 1, 2 or 3.

I can't imagine it is more than 3 people cleaning a room. But if I leave an amount for tip I want to make sure it is proper for the # of people cleaning and in bill denominations where it can equally be distributed.

Most printed tipping suggestions states $1 per person per day. But as mentioned above, tip what ever you are comfortable with. There's only one mousekeeper per room per day although you may not have the same mousekeeper every day of your vacation so it is suggested that tips be left daily.

wdw_bound
04-11-2010, 10:53 AM
In the resorts where I've stayed and had interactions with Mousekeeping (WL, POFQ, FW) it has been one mousekeeper per room. We generally tip about $5 per day, but would do more if there were special requests (toiletries, towels, etc) like OP. In the cabins, we tipped a little more because it seemed like we got more service (i.e. we had loaded the dishwasher, but she ran it for us) and, being a cabin, there was more space that needed cleaning.

Not sure why this is a can of worms. Tipping is a personal preference, and may be a cultural/geographic thing as well. I have always tipped housekeeping/mousekeeping, although DH initially claimed to have never heard of such a practice, he absolutely agrees now.

Have a great trip! :mickey:

kakn7294
04-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Before the internet and Disney-related websites, I had not heard of tipping housekeepers in hotels either. But now we absolutely do. We generally tip $1 per person per day which would be $4 for our family of 4. We're neat people so there's little for the mousekeeper to do - make the beds, clean the bathroom, and vacuum. If we've had good interaction or had one who's done something special for us, we tip more. Last year's mousekeeper at WL was the absolute best - and her tips reflected that.

forever a child
04-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Before the internet and Disney-related websites, I had not heard of tipping housekeepers in hotels either. But now we absolutely do. We generally tip $1 per person per day which would be $4 for our family of 4. We're neat people so there's little for the mousekeeper to do - make the beds, clean the bathroom, and vacuum. If we've had good interaction or had one who's done something special for us, we tip more. Last year's mousekeeper at WL was the absolute best - and her tips reflected that.

WoW! I AM a bit slow! LOL. I thought the per person was the number of Mousekeepers! Not the number of people in room!:blush: I have now caught on!:D

SBETigg
04-11-2010, 01:18 PM
$10 a day seems very generous. If you have turndown service, you'll want to leave two tips (separate housekeepers) and then it becomes excessive. I would suggest instead $2-5 dollars for regular housekeeping, and another $2-5 for turndown, if you have turndown. And there are some people who will tell you not to tip at all, but that's not how we roll. I like to tip.

Wishmaker
04-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Not sure why this is a can of worms. Tipping is a personal preference, and may be a cultural/geographic thing as well.

I completely agree. Some have stong views and opnions about this. I have seen these type of posts get out of hand before.

However, it is a very understandable question. I don't mind share my thoughts. I quit tipping because the service I have recieved has been hit & miss. I pick up after myself very well. I reuse towels and hang them up. Therefore I really do not require much.

They usually leave a bag everyday on our door with more items, if I ask or not.

Happy Vacationing :mickey:

DizneyRox
04-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Mousekeeping at WDW is a non tipped position which is why many consider this a can of worms. I can sum the total I have left for mousekeeping at WDW on one hand and have never thought my service was any different.

At hotels during business travel, I tip (and add it to me expense report) and usually leave a 5 spot when it's just me.

GINNY69
04-11-2010, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the info everyone ! I am not sure why I thought $10.00 was sufficient but after thinking about about I do think that is a way too much to tip on a daily basis.. I think I will tip $4.00 a day. There is only DH,DS, and myself.

LudwigVonDrake
04-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I usually tip $1 per person in the room.

kakn7294
04-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Mousekeeping at WDW is a non tipped position which is why many consider this a can of worms.This is incorrect. I have written to Disney and asked about which positions are tipped and which are not. The response that I received clearly stated that mousekeeping is among the tipped positions. That said, I do believe that it's a matter of personal preference as to whether you tip or not and how much.

brad192
04-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Regardless of a tipped position or not...

I always leave $5 a day for my Mousekeeper. Hey, I'm on vacation & I want to spread the good feelings around. C'mon, considering what everyone is shelling out for the trip to WDW, a couple of bucks aren't gonna break the bank.;)

Consider what (potentially) these CM's have to deal with... Eww...:sick:

I have a LOT of respect for the Moiusekeeping staff.:thumbsup:

Jeri Lynn
04-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Typically there are 2 of us and we tip $5 a day.

#1donaldfan
04-12-2010, 12:13 PM
.....we too had never tipped until joining this group of intercotee's.....we just didn't know....but since, and for several years have left $ 1 per day, per person, sometimes more if she does an exceptional job with the towel animals....which can be another topic to "open that can of worms", right yall !!!:thedolls:

Scar
04-12-2010, 12:37 PM
My last trip I was solo for 3 nights. I am neat and the only thing they had to do was make the bed and wipe down the sink. I left $4 the first day. I left another $4 the second day, and it was still there when I got back. I guess they felt guilty taking $4 for 10 minutes work. :shrug: I just left the same $4 the last day.

Goes4FastPass
04-13-2010, 03:29 PM
We tip $1 per GUEST per day when staying at WDW.

We leave it with a note "Housekeeping - Thank you" so there's no confusion.

People may reply to this thread about how they are experts about what WDW positions are and are not "tipping positions". That's swell so long as I never have to go on vacation with those experts.

Kathy Jetson
04-13-2010, 11:24 PM
$1.00 per person per day:mickey:

Hammer
04-13-2010, 11:39 PM
My last trip I was solo for 3 nights. I am neat and the only thing they had to do was make the bed and wipe down the sink. I left $4 the first day. I left another $4 the second day, and it was still there when I got back. I guess they felt guilty taking $4 for 10 minutes work. :shrug: I just left the same $4 the last day.

Scar, I had the same issue. It seems that the money must be marked as for housekeeping for them to take it. I don't make tip envelopes; I just use a piece of paper that I write: "For housekeeping- Thanks!" and I put the money with it so there isn't any confusion. Just do that next time!