BrerGnat
04-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Monday, March 29, 2010

Cast:
Me
DH
DS Max 5
DS Lucas 4

Today we were back down to our nuclear family unit. Hilda and Victor were off VERY early in the morning on DME for their 8am flight home. We had a great, but short, visit with them. We agreed that NEXT time, Hilda has to stay for the whole week. We always have fun with her. :thumbsup:

The boys were up around 9:30am, but DH was still out and I wanted to let him rest. I decided to take the boys to Captain's Grill for breakfast, so they could have a hot breakfast! We made our way down there around 9:45 and were told it was a 20 min wait. We hung out in the lobby and gift shop and were buzzed about 15 min later. Our meal here was okay. Service was good, but slow. I would have done the buffet, but really couldn't manage that with the boys alone (plus our table was far from the buffet, so I didn't want to leave them unattended at the table). The boys were VERY hyper here. The place was very crowded and loud, which I did not expect. Food quality was about on par with an IHOP. It did the job, but was only "okay".

DH woke up feeling better, so we decided to hit AK that day. I think we were off to AK around 11:30 am or so. Bus ride was sort of long. We stopped at Blizzard Beach, which was DESERTED. The weather that day was partly sunny, but very chilly and windy. High was only around 70, I believe. We regretted not bringing our sweaters as soon as we were at the bus stop, but didn't want to run back to the room and miss the bus. At least while the sun was out, it felt warm.

At AK, we did some photopass pictures out front, and made our way to the Oasis, stopping to see some animals along the way. Max was already in his "I want to go to the playground first" mode. I had told him we were going to the Boneyard first while DH went over to ride Everest (he had never ridden it), and he didn't let me forget it! So, DH dropped us off at the Boneyard and continued onto Everest. I was glad to see that the Boneyard only had one way in/out. I plopped myself down at the exit, against a pole, and let the boys loose. They had a ball in here. The roaring dinosaur scared Lucas at first, but he recovered after a brief sit in my lap. Max could not get enough of that super high spiral slide! He had a ball in this area. Meanwhile, DH had ridden Everest using the single rider line, and returned about 20 min later. He was disappointed that the Yeti was not working at ALL (not even a shadow...) and felt that, without it, the ride was completely lacking something. He called it an "okay" coaster, but really wanted to see that Yeti.

We let the boys play for a bit longer, then we moved on. They spotted Triceratops Spin, so we went that way. We rode it and the boys liked it! Liked how we could all sit together and each child got to control something. :thumbsup:

At this point, we were sort of hungry for lunch. DH had not eaten berakfast, and was feeling hungry. The boys had also not had a snack since breakfast, and it was pushing 2pm. After waiting a LONG time for some pepperoni pizzas, we settled down to a nice lunch. I like how the pizzas here come with salad! We shared two pizzas and salads between the four of us. It was filling. I know a lot of people hate the Disney pizza, but we just suspend expectations for pizza while in Disney parks, and just enjoy it for what it is.

After lunch, DH and I convinced Max to ride the Safari ride. I assured Max it was a slow ride, and that we would see lots of animals. Hopefully. ;) We made our way over there and were directed to the FP line with our GAC. After a short wait, we were boarding our jeep. We saw TONS of animals. Perhaps the cooler weather made them come out and play. The only ones we missed were the lions, who were sleeping, but we saw ALL the other animals. The boys liked this ride. Max, especially, liked the part where we had to stop to allow two Ankole Cattle to cross the road. He was yelling "they have to get out of the way!". We also had to yield to a mama duck and duckling. It was very cute.

After the safari ride, Max announced that he wanted some ice cream. We had passed a stand that was selling scoops in cones on the way over to the ride, and decided to head back that way. Problem was, the parade was making its way down the path at that time. The ice cream stand was not within reach. So, we diverted the boys to the drums, and they enjoyed playing there for awhile. As soon as the parade had passed (our kids are NOT fans of parades), we made our way over to the ice cream stand only to find it "closed for the day". Huh? It was only like 3:30...strange. So, I promised Max we would go back to the hotel and get some cookies and cream gelato at the Marketplace. He was good with this plan. But, on the way out, he spotted an ice cream cart and changed his mind. He had a Mickey Ice Cream Sandwich; a good compromise. He enjoyed that while Lucas picked out a souvenir: a set of three "Disney Transport" buses. He played with them the rest of the trip!

We decided to head to Epcot, but found a HUGE line for Epcot! So, we decided to instead, go to the TTC and catch the Epcot monorail. There was no line for the TTC bus. :secret: So, we had a fun monorail ride over to Epcot. The boys liked it a lot! We got to ride the Tron-orail! :thumbsup:

Once at Epcot, we decided to ride Spaceship Earth, since Lucas had liked it so much, but Max had not ridden yet. Max LOVED it too! His favorite part was spotting the Mousetrap game behind the sofa in the "living room" scene. He loves that game!

After SSE, we headed into Innoventions. I had told DH about the Piggy Bank game, and Max is very into his GIANT piggy bank at home that he is saving change in. So, I thought he'd like this. We got in line and Lucas started misbehaving, so I took him out and left Max with DH. I diverted Lucas to the Velcro exhibit next door and he had a ball there, playing with the shapes on the wall. Meanwhile, Max was having a blast doing the Piggy Bank Adventure. DH told me he LOVED it...and was so excited doing it. Max, just so you know, is a math WHIZ! He completely understands money and saving, and he is really good at video games, so this was right up his alley.

We left Innoventions and headed towards the playground again. The boys played here for awhile. It was getting sort of late at this point, and it was COLD! The wind was really picking up, and we really needed to change. On the way back to the Beach Club, we spotted Refreshment Port, and it's new "Latin Flavors" menu. We decided to get some empanadas (one beef, one cheese) to split as a snack. DH and I are Puerto Rican, so we were curious, mostly. I have to say, these were delicious! The cheese one was a surprise (I have no idea what kind of cheese was used, but we are used to good old yellow American cheese in empanadas), but it was a white cheese with some herbs in it (Oregano, I think?). It was GOOD! The beef one was pronounced "Legit" by DH. :) Max liked the cheese one, and ate about half of it. Lucas was not game...he is very hesitant to try new things. I can highly recommend this place for a meal or snack! Good stuff and a good value too!

We headed back to BC and hung out in the room for awhile before heading down to Hurricane Hannah's for dinner. DH was not hungry. His stomach was still not right, and the empanada had filled him up enough. I was craving a cheeseburger. We had tried to go to Beaches and Cream, but the wait was an hour, and the boys were hungry NOW, especially Lucas, so we ended up at HH. I had the Beaches Cheeseburger and it was outstanding! It truly tasted like a TS restaurant burger. Highly recommend this! It was only $8.50 with fries, which I believe is cheaper than at B&C. We were harassed by ducks while we ate, but DH did a good job of shooing them away. DH tried a Pina Colava, and liked it a lot! It was SO cold, though outside. DH took Lucas back to the lounge while Max and I finished eating. Max is a slow eater. ;) After eating, I took Max out onto the beach, and pushed him in the swing chair for awhile. They had cancelled the movie on the beach that night (moved it inside to the Solarium) due to the cold, windy weather. Max and I then headed up to the lounge for hot chocolate and dessert. Max HIGHLY enjoyed the Oreo Bon Bons and brownies at tonight's dessert buffet. The hot chocolate hit the spot!

Upon returning to the room, the boys were bathed and in bed asleep fairly early (by 9pm). They were starting to get tired from all the activity during the days! DH and I watched a bit of t.v. and then turned in early as well.

Next up: Day 5-"Bing Bing!"

KylesMom
04-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Oh, goodie - I was hoping you'd post an installment today!!! :D

First off, thank goodness your DH is feeling better (although not 100%) today. Slow going is better than no going!

Day 4 seemed to go well - both AK and Epcot! I remember when we had to pry DS out of the Boneyard. It's a great place to just let the kids "be". Great experience on Kilamanjaro Safari as well. Your monorail trip and time at Epcot seemed to go smoothly, too. Neat that you got to ride the Tronorail.

Another great report - thanks for taking the time to share with us all! :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
04-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Wow, today sounded like a wonderful day. And I do the same exact thing you did at the Boneyard playground. I sit next to that post right by the exit/entrance and let the boys go at it. My boys love this playground. Its one of their favorite things to do in AK. So glad your DH is feeling better today. It looks like your first family WDW trip is shaping up to be a great experience for you.

faline
04-09-2010, 05:50 PM
So glad your husband is recovered from his illness! What a fun day you all had!

Pocahontas
04-09-2010, 11:12 PM
I love all the detail you put in your report. Very entertaining. Glad your husband was feeling some better. Sounded like a fun day.

elorac
04-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Sounds like a great trip so far...thanks for sharing!

pdrlkr
04-11-2010, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

DisneyorBust
04-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Sounds like today was one of the best so far! I was glad to read that your DH was feeling better, though not 100%. Hopefully he will be back to full strength tomorrow. Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.

offwego
04-11-2010, 11:55 AM
Glad DH was feeling better, you sure got a lot done today.

Sorry that the cold had some impact guess it was a good thing you swam when it was warm!:thumbsup:

DizNee143
04-12-2010, 09:27 AM
sounds like you guys had a really great day!!
and so glad to hear that the hubby was feeling mostly better!! :mickey:

MOJoe
04-12-2010, 01:53 PM
Glad you are having a great time at my favorite resort area in WDW. I am enjoying your reports very much. Keep em coming! :mickey:

princessgirls
04-13-2010, 11:21 AM
A great Disney day. Glad your husband was up to all of today's activities.

Your boys had a GREAT day and that warmed my heart.

Thanks for the awesome report!
Julie:mickey:

vizsla
04-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks for the report.