PDA

View Full Version : Snakes-yikes

Bubbie Girl
04-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Ok so I have been reading several snake stories lately (on other sites) and here about snakes at resorts etc. so what are the odds of running into one say at the CBR?
We have been to WDW quite a few times and I can't remember ever seeing one, but I guess there's always a first. I really don't want one showing up in my room!! YIKES oh yeah what about those huge spiders I have read about??
Can you tell I don't like things like that only a big mouse :mickey: that lives at WDW.LOL

Granny Jill A
04-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Snakes go out of their way to avoid humans, so you probably won't see one unless you stray off the paths and start turning over rocks. :D

I'm not a big fan of spiders or anything with more than 4 legs. Creepy....

What I have seen a lot of are those cute little anoles or speed lizards as I call them. They like to sun themselves on paths and walls. I've come close to spraining my whole body trying to avoid stepping on the little cuties.

vicster
04-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Can honestly say I've never seen a snake at WDW or too many other insects - except love bugs. It must be a magic place as I never even see mosquitoes there.

faline
04-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Snakes are generally shy creatures. I can say I spent time tent camping at Fort Wilderness and don't ever recall seeing a snake even during the time I spent there.

Mickey'sGirl
04-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Well, we saw a HUGE one at OKW right by the pool last summer. It slithered away at full speed, but man, it still gives me the shivers (I'm Indy-like in my snake aversion). It didn't look dangerous, but what do I know .... I just walked very quickly through any narrow, well planted paths.

laprana
04-09-2010, 02:50 PM
I've seen 3 snakes during my WDW trips (not all at the same time, though :D). The first one was at WL on the concrete path leading from the lodge to the boat dock. The second was on the concrete path from DHS to the BW, and the third was on the concrete path from SSR to DTD. Each time, the snake was just laying there on the sidewalk and slithered away as we got closer. Well, I guess I should say as the other people in my group got closer and I ran like a crazy person in the opposite direction. (I hate snakes more than any other creature on this earth. :bolt: Just thinking about them gives me the heebie-jeebies.) I definitely didn't go looking for them...they were there waiting for me! :faint: I will say that they were pretty small and probably harmless (except for creating illogical, heart-attack inducing fear in some people), but I'd much rather they did stay out of sight in the bushes.

VWL Mom
04-09-2010, 03:01 PM
In August there was a snake living in the BBQ at BW. I made a deal with him, he stayed on the BBQ and I would stay on my side of the pool. Towel CM because each day it was the first place I would look.

Saw another in November on the wall by Starring Rolls at DHS. That wasn't quite as smooth. I was sitting on the wall when a lady started pointing behind me and yelled "MOVE" and I did.

mermaidmarian
04-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I think I have seen at least one snake during each of my trips to WDW in the last decade. I figure, it is Florida afterall.

The most startled I was by a snake that came a little too close for comfort was when DS and I were walking (briskly) along the loading path for Crush N Gusher at Typhoon Lagoon. A few steps ahead was a longish black stick. As we were about to skip over it, I realized, it was not a stick! It went on its way off the path and into the landscape foliage and we continued on our merry way. But, I checked where I was stepping for the rest of the day at TL.

Mickey'sGirl
04-09-2010, 03:14 PM
In August there was a snake living in the BBQ at BW. I made a deal with him, he stayed on the BBQ and I would stay on my side of the pool. He must have moved on, because there was a crazy squirrel living in the BBQ by the end of August! I dislike squirrels almost as much as I dislike snakes!! :D

KylesMom
04-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Never seen a snake at Disney (I actually like them), but at CBR be prepared to encounter a bajillion lizards. In all of the various resorts we've stayed at, CBR had the largest concentration of those critters! :mickey:

DizneyRox
04-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Bah, the snakes are nothing, it's the gators you really need to watch out for.

brad192
04-09-2010, 04:04 PM
I remember reading a thread here a long time ago about snakes at WDW, and one poster who was a CM at AK said that if you had an aversion to snakes you really shouldn't look up when walking around in the AK, as a lot of snakes live in the trees there. Don't know whether they were kidding or not.:(

NewDVCowner
04-09-2010, 04:04 PM
but I'd much rather they did stay out of sight in the bushes.

Frankly I'd rather they were out in the open where I can see them and easily avoid them!

kakn7294
04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Since 1993, we've seen 2 snakes at WDW. The first was a large black snake at TL in May '96. It was not very crowded, late in the day, and he was slithering calmly across a wide path. The second snake was an itty, bitty baby snake (so small we thought it was a worm at first) at CSR in Aug '08. He also was slithering across a path but very quickly - guess he didn't fancy getting stepped on. I've never heard of anyone having a snake in their room.

I, too, hate spiders - there aren't many of them in visible locations at WDW. We mostly see them at the resorts, hanging around on webs built along the outdoor walkways out of the way of people.

Jenemmy
04-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Never seen a snake, but did see a rat scamper across our patio at the Poly years ago.....

Morpheous
04-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Bah, the snakes are nothing, it's the gators you really need to watch out for.

Not just Gators.. Burmese Pythons are becoming a HUGE problem in Florida. Due to the exotic pet trade, with people not realizing how difficult it is to maintain them. Then Stupidly releasing them in the wild, the Everglades happen to be an ideal environment for them. Their population has exploded as a result, (Though the recent freeze Florida had this winter did lower their number some) they are even posing a threat to the endangered species of the Everglades.. Including Alligators :(.

Though I have yet to ever see one in Florida, I know its becoming a serious enough problem that the Government has made it completely Legal to kill a Burmese Python found in the wild on sight..

Scar
04-09-2010, 04:50 PM
I've seen a few of the 10" harmless variety.

Bah, the snakes are nothing, it's the gators you really need to watch out for.... and the brain eating aomeba.

...the Government has made it completely Legal to kill a Burmese Python found in the wild on sight..Ya mean, it was once illegal?

laprana
04-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Not just Gators.. Burmese Pythons are becoming a HUGE problem in Florida.

OMG, if I saw one of those, I'd pass out cold long enough for it to swallow me whole!! Give me spiders and rats anyday over snakes! :scared:

Dznygrl79
04-09-2010, 05:26 PM
I may be weird but snakes don't bother me. I grew up and spent every summer at a girl scout camp on the Chesapeake Bay so seeing snakes was usual. We had a burmese as a class pet when I was in middle school, she was about 5 feet long but the most she ever did was slither closer for body heat. Black snakes are usually rat snakes (not always if its in the water it could be a moccasin and thats an entirely diff story), not looking to harm you, just sun itself and find a meal. If you see one dont wiggle your fingers in its face just walk away, either find a way around it or make noise and they will scamper.
I have never seen a snake on property, I have seen turtles, anoles, mozzies, and armadillos on Disney property. I have talked to the ducks at Epcot but they'll never tell.

Morpheous
04-09-2010, 07:06 PM
I may be weird but snakes don't bother me. I grew up and spent every summer at a girl scout camp on the Chesapeake Bay so seeing snakes was usual. We had a burmese as a class pet when I was in middle school, she was about 5 feet long but the most she ever did was slither closer for body heat. Black snakes are usually rat snakes (not always if its in the water it could be a moccasin and thats an entirely diff story), not looking to harm you, just sun itself and find a meal. If you see one dont wiggle your fingers in its face just walk away, either find a way around it or make noise and they will scamper.
I have never seen a snake on property, I have seen turtles, anoles, mozzies, and armadillos on Disney property. I have talked to the ducks at Epcot but they'll never tell.

Snake's don't really bother or scare me either. I grew up in the Sonoran Desert in Arizona. I hate spiders, but Snakes don't really bother me. In Arizona we had to content with Coral Snakes, and the Western Diamondback. I never saw the Coral Snakes definitely saw my fair share of rattlers. I can thankfully say no one in my family ever got bit by one, we were always very careful and made sure not to disturb them.

Honestly and this is gonna sound kinda funny.. The Squirrels at Disney World freak me out more than anything. They don't seem to be afraid of people at all and get REALLY close while you're eating. Its like they are eyeing your food and wanna jump onto your table and take something the moment your not looking.

Edit:

Ya mean, it was once illegal?

Well, its more or less Illegal to kill any wild animal on public property, I think. If I remember correctly the Florida Government is working to remove all legal roadblocks that may exist for game hunters, property owners, or just about anyone from eliminating any specimens of this Invasive Species that are found. Last I had heard about it the Parks Service has started offering bounties for them, all due to the threat these snakes are causing to the Natural Wildlife of the Everglades and other Florida regions.

Jillirose
04-09-2010, 08:08 PM
Been 10 times and never seen spiders or snakes!

Euby
04-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Haven't seen any snakes, but I did see a :gator: at the beach area at Coronado Springs once early in the morning.

mickeys_princess_mom
04-09-2010, 09:50 PM
N-e-ver seen a snake at WDW, and hope I never do! Terrified of them! Have heard of the whole python thing on TV, but not till this moment did I consider a run-in to be a real possibility! :faint:

peemagg
04-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Friends of ours stayed at AK one year (before Kidani) and left their patio door open a little bit. Well a little snake crawled up the vines outside of room and they found it at night under one of their kids pillows as they were turning down the bed. The father caught it in a pillow case and promptly took it down to the front desk and returned their "pet" to them. All the while he was in his underwear, but just didn't care at that point in time. I bet that was quite a site for those at the front desk.

dnickels
04-09-2010, 10:13 PM
It must be a magic place as I never even see mosquitoes there.

I think that type of 'magic' is called Malathion. :thedolls:

Kathy Jetson
04-09-2010, 11:52 PM
I saw a vulture on the side of the road eating an armadillo:ack:

Mickey'sGirl
04-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Haven't seen any snakes, but I did see a :gator: at the beach area at Coronado Springs once early in the morning.
We've seen them in the settling ponds around the different exit ramps around the Resort. Alligators are cool.... Snakes and Squirrels are NOT. Just putting that out there!

TikiLounger
04-10-2010, 08:50 AM
I've never seen a snake anywhere in Disney World. We DID see a gator during our first trip. We were staying at the Shades of Green and we decided to walk over to the Poly. Just as we passed a little pond (I have no idea if it's still there) off the side of the path, the gator decided to move into the water. My kids were little and thought it was cool, my husband and I were less thrilled. Also, on one our trips to the Beach Club, we were leaving the resort and heading off to Epcot. Right by Stormalong Bay, we began to hear quite a commotion up in the treetops. Other people had already stopped an were pointing at something in the trees. When we looked up, there was a beautiful hawk perched there. Unfortunately, as we stood looking, the hawk decided to swoop down and grab a squirrel that was flitting about on the path. The poor thing didn't know what hit him. Yikes...Disney wildlife fun.

PetefromRI
04-10-2010, 09:00 AM
All I can say is thank God for Indiana Jones being afraid of snakes so that guys like me can get a pass when we start running and screaming like little girls when we see one!

apequet
04-10-2010, 09:21 AM
You all are totally freaking me out about the gators! Don't they have CM's that wave their magic wands and make them totally disappear!? :magic:

I want to rent a sea raycer @ POR and now I'm thinking if there are gators...we may not! :paranoid:

I'm from Michigan and the scarest thing up here are the Ohio State fans! ;)

pox24
04-10-2010, 09:25 AM
Welcome to Florida.

Daisy712
04-10-2010, 09:53 AM
We are also thinking of renting the little boats at CBR, but not if there are gators. Has anyone seen them at CBR?

Jenemmy
04-10-2010, 11:35 AM

LOLOL -- and we would NEVER bite your leg off!!;)

(Actually, even though we live in Ohio State country, my son loves to tell people he roots for Michigan just to watch their reaction -- HA!)

DizneyRox
04-10-2010, 12:49 PM
You all are totally freaking me out about the gators! Don't they have CM's that wave their magic wands and make them totally disappear!? :magic:

I want to rent a sea raycer @ POR and now I'm thinking if there are gators...we may not! :paranoid:

Picture of Gator at Port Orleans (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/291482187_6d9e86af36.jpg)

Seriously, wherever there's water in Florida, there's the possibility of gators. I have seen them in the Rivers of America in MK and heard of them pulling them out of the waterways near DTD while I was on vacation. We once attempted to walk from Fort Wilderness to Wilderness Lodge one night and turned back due to some strange eyeballs staring back at us from the "woods".

#1donaldfan
04-10-2010, 01:49 PM
....never seen any and I'm not looking.....we always stay at POR and the thick undergrowth would provide a wonderful place for 'em, but I've never had one come out....yet.....I don't like 'em unless they are the dead kind....:mickey:

joonyer
04-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Remember WDW is built on drained swampland, and quite of bit of it remains wet & swampy with many lakes and ponds. It is a perfect environment for reptiles to thrive, so it is very possible to see snakes, gators and such anywhere on WDW property. But although possible, it's not commonplace unless you get off the beaten path away from crowds. Reptiles tend to shy away from humans.

Amy_617
04-11-2010, 12:55 AM
We live in the low country (swampland) of South Carolina and have these gators and snakes in our backyard. The swamp is less then a mile from our house and we have two ponds in our backyard. So, they leave their swamp and come to visit us from time to time. My DH grew up here, I'm from the city....So, they really scare me. We have a 22 month old, and I watch him like a hawk when he is outside playing. Those things can get HUGE!! Hopeing we don't see any of these familier creatures while we are on vacation!

IrishMickey
04-11-2010, 06:45 PM
I saw a huge snake slithering across the path to the strollers at Fantasmic, at first I thought it was a "Disney" snake, then I realized no that is a real snake, I avoided it, but I did tell the CM on duty, who then called in the "guys" who take of things like that, after the show, we asked about the snake, they said it was just a harmless rat snake, but it was quite large. My kids hope to see a gator on the next trip, that is until they see one, and then they will be screaming. :thumbsup:

apequet
04-11-2010, 09:19 PM
[QUOTE=DizneyRox;2038927]Picture of Gator at Port Orleans (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/108/291482187_6d9e86af36.jpg)

Ha, ha...very funny! :D

DVC2004
04-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Never seen a snake at WDW. I have seen a big gator swimming in the Rivers of America at MK.
Once we had a large bug crawl under our door at OKW, the seal around the door had a pretty big gap in it. It then went under the chest of drawers. Of course we were all screaming for my husband to get it out. He tried to push a coat hanger around but we never saw thing again. I slept with my socks on the rest of the week- the thought of walking to the bathroom in the middle of the night and stepping on that thing freaked me out!

1DisneyNut
04-11-2010, 09:40 PM
We saw a snake a couple of years ago. We were walking back to Saratoga Springs from Downtown one night and it was on the concrete pathway. The kids had been walking out in front of us and getting a little too far a few times and I kept getting on them to stay closer to us. Well they found the snake and needless to say we didn't have any trouble with them straying too far after that. My thoughts on snakes at WDW are, they were there first and we are really invading their space....I don't like them but we are treading on their turf.

dancin Disney style
04-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Only once have we seen a snake. We were at TL and lucky for me the CM walking front of us saw it first and screamed...so I didn't have to. Very considerate of her. :blush: It was a fair sized black one. Didn't my hubby, just to bug me, reach down and touch it. As soon as he did it turned back around toward him but then took off into the bushes. I have read that they like the lazy river.

We also saw a gator in the lake at CSR. It was about 4ft long. They let them stay until they are about 5ft and then relocate them. It was actually really neat to see just hangin' out in the lake.

DizneyRox
04-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Nice to see that the height requirements apply to ALL guests, not just those walking on two feet.

Kaps
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I have never seen a snake in any part of the parks or resorts??

elmjimmlm
04-12-2010, 12:51 PM
We almost stepped on a snake at ASM one night by the pool... What scared me more was an armadillo that we saw one night behind the bus stop at POR... Talk about something that will make you scream outloud...:-o

ransam
04-12-2010, 01:44 PM
let's stop this talk right now. there are no snakes in disneyworld...I refuse to believe that there are......If i thought there was i would never go back and i plan on going back there once a year for the rest of my life. there are no snakes. there are no snakes......but...
I did see a gator once. It was in the swamp, and the funny thing is nothing was between us and him...it was a big one too. he looked up at us, and so i took his picture... my gf and brother walked away quickly and later said they couldn't believe i took his pic. but my thought was if he wanted me, he was taking me....nothing i could do, i might as well get a cool shot.