PDA

View Full Version : Our first real, big, family vacation! Day Two-A Whole New "World" to Explore

BrerGnat
04-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Cast:

Me: 31
DH: 31
DS Max: 5
DS Lucas: 4

MIL: Hilda
BIL: Victor

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Today was off to a so-so start. Due to Max's EARLY morning waking, I, again, only managed about 5 hours of (broken) sleep. :( Max drifted back off around 6:30 a.m. and everyone started stirring around 9:30. DH was in NO hurry to get dressed and out of bed, but I knew we only had one more hour left of breakfast service in the lounge, so I got up and headed over to the lounge. I thought the breakfast offerings were quite good! I had a nice, but quick, breakfast in there and made up some plates to bring back to the room. I dropped them off, and returned for coffee for DH and I. The boys all ate in their pj's. Max, again, was too excited to eat. This would become a theme this week...;) I sort of force fed him some bagel and chocolate milk, just so he would have something in his stomach! I drank my coffee out on the balcony; the view was even better during the daytime! DH called his mom to see where they were, and they were in Epcot, near Imagination. We told her we would be heading over there shortly, and would call her upon entering the park.

At the ripe hour of 11am, we were off! There would be NO a.m. EMH's for us. :D We made our way over to Epcot's International Gateway, and really got to see the resort for the first time. It was a beautiful day! Sunny, warm, but not humid, and very very clear! The resorts around the lake popped, all the colors creating a beautiful, postcard like image. The walkway was extremely peaceful. I counted only a handful of other people all the way around the lake. We felt like the only ones there. DH commented that he didn't feel like he was in Disney...and he liked it! I had to agree. I had always liked being in the MK area, and seeing all the activity, but this was totally different, and calming/relaxing, etc. It was "Disney", but not so in-your-face.

As we were walking into Epcot, I briefly considered getting a Guest Assistance Card (GAC) for Max. However, we had passed by Guest Relations already, and I didn't want to backtrack, so I figured we'd just see how the day went. We have known about the GAC for some time, but we have never used one at Disneyland. We knew the kids were capable of waiting in short-moderate lines (up to 30 min), but we also knew that this new place might cause some issues to pop up that we don't normally have to deal with at Disneyland, which is like our kid's second home. They "know" Disneyland, and are very comfortable there, and we never really go during highly crowded days. I had spoken about the GAC to DH prior to the trip, and mentioned that we should get one, just as "insurance", and he agreed. But, at that point, I just wanted to keep moving forward, so we did.

Hilda and Victor met us in England, we exchanged hugs and they told us about their day so far. Hilda was LOVING the Flower and Garden Festival displays. She is really into gardening, so this was right up her alley. Victor had ridden Test Track alone, and they had both explored the Imagination pavilion, and mostly just walked around taking pics of all the topiaries.

Our first agenda item was to visit the playground set up for the F&G Festival. I had seen a pic of this online the week before, and had shown it to Max. We have a local park with the SAME play structure set up. It's our boys' favorite park, and we go there almost every day. I figured that if Max knew there was SOMETHING familiar at WDW, he would feel a little more comfortable. So, of course, he had been telling us over and over again that he wanted to "Go to Epcot and play at the red, yellow, and black park." So, the second we walked in, he began with the "I want to go to the red, yellow, and black park" spiel. He repeated this line approximately every 10 seconds, with us answering "That's where we are going", until we got there. :) When we got there, the boys RAN full out and began playing happily. We had decided they could have 15 min here, and we would move on. I told Max this, so we would not have a meltdown. This little playground was really a gem. It was nicely shaded, there was only one (small) entrance/exit, and there were some cool topiaries in there as well. It was "Fantasia" themed, and they piped in music too! The boys had a blast in here, along with the other 20 or so kids playing.

After playtime, we headed over to MouseGear to get a hat for Lucas. His birthday had been on St. Patrick's Day, and Hilda had said she'd buy him a gift on the trip. Our boys have big heads, so all his "youth" sized hats no longer fit him. :blush: It was SO sunny that I wanted to get the hat right away. Poor kid was squinting so badly. So, we went over and Lucas chose a bright blue Mickey "Epcot" hat. He proudly wore his hat out of the store. While we were shopping, DH and Victor had gone over to Mission Space to get some Fastpasses. We met them as we were exiting the store.

We decided on the Seas pavilion next. My kids love aquariums and watching fish (we even have a pet fish at home), so I knew this would be a winner. What I DIDN'T know was that they would both H-A-T-E the ride! They both like Nemo well enough. Max, especially. It all started going downhill as we wound our way through the dark, windy queue (which had no people in it, but was a LONG walk in a DARK room). When we got to the ride, we split up and Hilda and I took Lucas while Victor and DH took Max. Well, since this ride is all darkness, and the kids had NO idea what was going to happen, ALL they could concentrate on were the "scary" parts, with the crazy fish with huge teeth, and Bruce. Poor Lucas cried "all done" and JUMPED into my lap and said "want HUG." He buried his head in my shoulder for the rest of the ride once that scary fish showed up. I could hear Max in the next Clamshell, saying "I want to get out!". Ahhh...what a great introduction to WDW.

We exited our Clamshells with me reassuring Lucas the whole way that we could see "fishies" next. That made him feel better. So, we headed upstairs and the boys were mesmerized by the big aquarium. We were there for what felt like a LONG time. I think it was close to an hour. But, it was nice and cool in there, so I wasn't complaining! What did annoy me was that little play area for kids. It was packed with over zealous parents taking what seemed like a day's worth of pictures of their kids with their head in that shark. One mom, in particular, was ordering around her kids like a drill instructor. I mean, it is a PLAY area, with tunnels and stuff, but I couldn't even let the boys in there (Lucas tried) without getting the evil eye from the "photogs", like I was trying to deliberately RUIN their precious pictures. They should move that Bruce head photo op outside, and leave the rest of that to be a play area, as intended. It was borderline ridiculous. Bruce might as well have been a Character Meet and Greet, the way people were lined up in there. I had to run in and grab Lucas and tell him he couldn't play in there, and that made him upset, and at that point, I decided it would be best to just leave and do something else. So, we did.

Once we walked out into the bright sun, Max piped up that he wanted to "Go to that store that's called Mouse Gear." ;) I was a bit surprised by this, but I asked him why, and he said he wanted to get a hat, like Lucas. This was news to me, as Max hasn't worn a hat in about 2 years, but I went with it. Max picked out a hat quickly, and Hilda said it would be her treat, so she paid and we were out of there quickly.

We all walked towards M:S next. I told Max that we were going to another playground, while DH and Victor headed into the FP line. We made our way to the Space Training Camp area, and let the boys loose in the tunnel play area. They LOVED this area! Lucas was a bit hesitant at first, but followed Max in, and we didn't see much of them for the next 20 min. I enjoyed being able to SIT and rest. I was SOOOOO tired by this point. It had caught up to me. :( Hilda and I talked and the boys played. About 40 min later, DH and Victor appeared (that had taken a long time, I thought, for FP...). Victor had enjoyed his first ride on M:S, and pronounced it "not as intense as I expected it to be."

At this point, it was pushing 1pm, and Hilda and Victor were getting hungry. Since Max hadn't eaten much breakfast, I figured we should get him something to eat as well. We decided on Seasons Food Court, where I knew there were a few things Max would eat. We all decided to eat at this point. DH and I had a 7:30pm ADR at Bluezoo, and I didn't want to eat lunch TOO late, and not be hungry. DH and Max split a stir fry/noodles plate and I attempted to split a rotisserie chicken meal with Lucas, who wanted NOTHING to do with it. He can be very difficult and controlling at times. *Sigh*...I was too tired to try to convince him to eat, so I figured he'd eat later, when he was more hungry.

After lunch, we decided to go back to the hotel. The boys were starting to act up-Max kept asking to go back to the hotel, like every 5 minutes. Lucas was tired and cranky, because he hadn't slept as long as he normally does at night. I thought some pool time would do us ALL some good, so we made our way back to the BC. It was pretty hot by this point, in the low 80's, but the sun was beating down and it felt much hotter than that! I was sweating by the time we got back to the resort. We made a brief stop in the lounge for some cold drinks and some gummy fish for the boys.

SBETigg
04-08-2010, 12:04 PM
You really know your kids and how they roll, and when not to push-- which is fantastic! Sounds like a good, if a little tiring, day. Surprising that they hated the Seas ride, but sometimes those surprises happen, and at least you had the aquarium to enjoy afterwards.

faline
04-08-2010, 12:04 PM
You really do need a wonderful sleep! Sorry the Nemo ride wasn't a hit your boys - it's so hard to know what kids will or won't like! You clearly scored a hit with the play areas!

BrerGnat
04-08-2010, 12:19 PM
We quickly changed into our swimsuits. Victor had forgotten his swim trunks, so he decided to go exploring the parks on his own for awhile. We told Hilda where we would be leaving our bag poolside, and she agreed to meet us at the pool a little later. The boys were ready to go NOW, but she wasn't. ;)

We made our way to the pool, a little confused about where to enter. But, we found our way. We got our wristbands, which Lucas originally didn't want to wear, until I told him he had to wear the "swimming bracelet" if he wanted to go down the waterslide. Done! We had a hard time finding somewhere to set down our bag and towels. We are not "chair" people, but we at least wanted ONE chair to set our stuff down on. It was hard, but we found one by the kiddie sand pool area. We got a lifevest for Lucas, who is not a strong swimmer yet, and headed over to the shipwreck slide. Max was up those steps faster than DH could keep up with him. He was READY! Waterslides are a new obsession with him. Lucas had to settle for the kiddie slide, though, since he had a vest on. He was fine with that and went down that little slide around 30 times! Only problem was, that little pool on the back of the ship...NOT HEATED! It was FREEZING!!! I jumped in there and jumped out so fast it was unreal. I sat on the edge, in the sun, and watched Lucas enjoy the slide. The cold wasn't bothering him! :D Another mom and I were chatting, wondering how our kids were able to tolerate such a cold pool, and wondering why on earth it wasn't heated! Meanwhile, Max and DH were making the rounds on the slide. At one point, we traded so I could go down the slide. Have to admit, it was SUPER fun! :thumbsup: But, waiting on that staircase in the wind...not so much. I told DH we needed to go back to the big pool; Lucas's lips were starting to match his blue swim trunks. So, we headed over to the main pool and had a BLAST in there! Max loved the sand bottom, and kept diving down to grab handfuls. We finally spotted Hilda around the kiddie pool area, and took the boys over there. They were jumping and splashing and playing with the sand. It was a sensory playground for them both! We stayed for about another 40 min or so and took some great pictures with our new Canon D10 waterproof camera. :thumbsup:

It was close to 4:30 now, and DH wanted to hit the gym before dinner. So, we made our way back to the room. We were totally oriented now, and our room was very easy to find; the boys led the way! We got the boys dressed and I took a shower, and then DH headed down to the gym. I gave the boys a snack and put in one of their DVD's we brought from home. They both relaxed on the bed and watched t.v. while I got dressed and ready for dinner. At around 6, when DH was back, I headed to the lounge to check out the evening offerings. They had some good stuff in there! I brought back a plate of veggies and apples for Max and some bread and cheese and hot apps for Lucas and DH. Lucas was not interested in anything (again). I sent DH down to Hurricane Hannah's to grab some food for the boys for dinner. He returned with a cheeseburger meal for Lucas and a Grilled Cheese for Max. The boys ate, and I got a few bites of that grilled cheese...DELICIOUS! They were excited to get a bucket and shovel each, too! With the boys fed, we gave Hilda instructions for bath/bedtime for the boys. She was babysitting so DH and I could have a kid free meal! She had eaten pretty well in the lounge, and said that was enough for dinner, and that she would get desserts later with the boys. So, we ALL headed out around 7:25. We were running a bit late for our ADR at Bluezoo, but we were not TOO late. DH and I stopped and had a Photopass Photographer take our picture with the Boardwalk in the background. It was sunset, and these pictures came out REALLY good!

We arrived at Bluezoo around 7:40. We were seated immediately, and enjoyed looking around this beautiful restaurant. It was very cool! Our TWO servers appeared immediately and began explaining the menu and getting us some drinks. Service here was outstanding! We decided to split a full meal: appetizer, entree, and dessert. I was really tempted by some of the drinks, but I had a bit of a headache from the lack of sleep, and didn't want to end up with a migraine, so I stuck with water. We split a Cajun Shrimp and grits appetizer which was SO good...and I don't even like shrimp (DH does, so I agreed to try it). The presentation was beautiful, and the flavors were outstanding. For our entree, we split the Filet Mignon. O.M.G. This steak was up there as one of the best things I've ever eaten. It was excellent! It was the perfect size to share. For dessert, we settled on their version of molten chocolate cake. We are no strangers to this sort of dessert...but this one stands alone above every other version of this I've ever tried. It blew the CA Grill version out of the water! You could tell the quality of the chocolate used was far superior! And, it was resting in this pool of caramel sauce that I could have taken a bath in... :cloud9: At this point, I was practically asleep at the table, in a food coma! To top off the outstanding meal and service, we were able to get 10% off our bill by showing DH's active duty military ID! The meal came in just under $100 with tax and tip for the two of us. I thought it was an excellent meal at a great price. DH ordered two drinks too, FYI.

We lazily made our way back to the BC, enjoying the nighttime walk. We returned around 9:30pm, and found the boys in their beds, Lucas out cold, but Max still awake. We thanked Hilda for babysitting, and she returned to her room. I was SO tired by this point, but I wanted to sleep WELL, so I took a muscle relaxer (my back and neck were in spasms all day...and I felt a migraine coming on) and fell into a DEEP sleep before 10pm!

We had no plan for the next day, which was fine with me. We were just going to see where the day took us!

Up Next: Day Three-MK: "This is NOT Disneyland!"

KylesMom
04-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm glad you guys eased into the morning today & were able to find the playground straight away at Epcot. Good start!

You know, the first thing I thought when the Nemo ride opened was how dark and long the queue was. I can understand why the boys were apprehensive before they even got on the attraction! When the "play area" first opened, it wasn't too crazy. However, in recent visits we've noticed the droves of folks who want photo ops with Bruce & the gang - so we just steer clear.

Nice that you were able to get back to the resort in short order after lunch and enjoy the pool & slides to the fullest. How strange that the kiddie pool was so cold, though!

Cool that DH and yourself were able to enjoy a wonderful meal and a nice walk afterwards. I can't tell you how many times we've arrived back at our resort after a great meal and promptly passed out from exhaustion. Hoping that you get a good nights' rest and that tomorrow is a success. Thanks for all of the great details! :mickey:

DizNee143
04-08-2010, 03:17 PM
sounds like a great day!!!
and your dinner sounded very yummy!! :mickey:

faline
04-08-2010, 03:25 PM
The time spent swimming seems to have been just the ticket! It was great that you and your hubby got some adult time - along with a wonderful meal!

BluewaterBrad
04-08-2010, 03:46 PM
Interesting. You two must always have your hands full. Great parents!!:mickey:

BrerGnat
04-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Interesting. You two must always have your hands full. Great parents!!:mickey:

You know it! That's why we stopped at two kids. ;)

buzznwoodysmom
04-08-2010, 05:14 PM
What a wonderful first day. I always considered myself a MK girl too. Then we stayed at the Swan for one night and I was in love with the location. In Nov. we stayed at BC for a week and loved every minute of it. Its great you and DH got a date night. We don't come by date nights often, but we sure enjoy them when we do get a chance at them. Your meal sounded delicious. Everything about today sounded perfect, just enough park time, just enough pool time, and a date night! Can't wait to read about the rest of your trip.

elorac
04-10-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the great report!

DisneyorBust
04-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Enjoying your trip reports. Sounds like your boys sure liked their time in Stormalong Bay, it is a fantastic pool.

pdrlkr
04-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey:

offwego
04-11-2010, 11:43 AM
So glad that you had some date night time in there along with the lovely family time. The story of the hats is too cute.

I hope that there is even more fun for you all to come.:thumbsup:

princessgirls
04-13-2010, 01:36 PM
Natalie...a great day! So glad you got to enjoy a kid free evening with your DH!

I have to tell you that you work really well at knowing and handling your boys. They are having a great vacation!! Their challenges are not easy ones to deal with, and you do and don't let it limit you!

Julie:mickey:

vizsla
04-14-2010, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the report.

Mousefever
04-24-2010, 09:06 AM
You know what they say about big heads, right? (Big brains!) :mickey:

Sounds like a wonderful day! I'm enjoying your reports already!

Amy

#1disneyfan
05-01-2010, 11:26 PM
I am really enjoying your reports!