PDA

View Full Version : First time at Wilderness Lodge!!

jaredkari
04-08-2010, 10:22 AM
My wife and I just booked a short weekend trip to WDW to celebrate our anniversary!!! We are staying a WL for the first time.

Any tips or opinions on the lodge?? How are the pools, I saw there are only two of them does that mean they are pretty crowded??:mickey:

c&d
04-08-2010, 10:28 AM
The Lodge is beautiful. Enjoy sitting in the rocking chairs and watching the people go by. Definitely eat at Artist Point, we've always found the food to be good and the service excellent. Take a walk along the exercise path between WL and Ft. Wilderness. Try it earlier in the morning or at dusk, you'll see all the deer eating.

There are 2 pools, the larger one is for the Lodge and the smaller one is for DVC members.

We've found that when leaving MK at the end of the night, it's sometimes quicker to take the bus back rather than the boat.

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-08-2010, 10:31 AM
We stayed in a studio at the VWL. While that isn't really the same as the WL, it is the same resort. I don't remember visiting the pools on that 4 day weekend but, we did pass it several times on the way to the boat dock. It wasn't that crowded and there was only 1 pool open at the time. The other was under construction. However, we didn't pass by it during peak times so, I'm not sure how it was. One thing was funny was the duck races for the kids.

We had dinner at Artist Point. We were one of the first ADR's but, found ourselves still early. So, we had a drink at the bar and then dinner WHICH WAS AWESOME!!!!!!

DVC2004
04-08-2010, 10:33 AM
Beautiful property! Love it at night- the flickering lights, the sound of nature (piped) outside! Take a nighttime stroll... The electrical water pageant comes by around 9:10-9:15 so go out by the lake to catch that. 2 pools, the main and the quiet. Everyone (not just DVC members) can use the quiet pool, but it's over by the villas. It's not real big. Be sure to catch the geyser shooting off out back.
There is also a tour on certain days of the lodge that goes into interesting info and architecture. Check with the front desk or the newsleltter of events when you check in for dates and time. I would recommend Artisr Point there for a nice romatic dinner! Enjoy, it's a great gem of a resort.

WishingStar2006
04-08-2010, 10:49 AM
As you can see from my signature, Wilderness Lodge is my absolute favorite resort. It is beautiful, relaxing and a great location.

As other's have said, there are two pools. One is in the center courtyard of the Wilderness Lodge and has a slide and a pool bar with activities during the day. The other pool is smaller and quiet and is located near the Villas.

Artists Pointe is great for a romantic dinner or there is the Whispering Canyon for rowdy fun and bar-b-que.

You'll love it!!!!

vicster
04-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Love, love, love WL - going in September and can't wait! One time when we were there it was raining a little so we hung around the lodge for a while. We got a list at the front desk giving hints on where to find hidden Mickeys around the lodge. It was fun and amazing where they are hidden.

Have a great trip!

tinkmommy
04-08-2010, 11:36 AM
I have found that the WL pool gets crowded because many people who stay at the FW campgrounds take the boat over to WL to use the pool. So it can definitely be difficult to find a place to sit.

kakn7294
04-08-2010, 12:31 PM
We stayed at WL last July and absolutely fell in love with this resort. It's so relaxing just walking around the grounds or sitting and watching the world go by. I loved having morning coffee on the balcony and staring off at the top of the Contemporary above the trees. The main pool can get crowded on a busy day but it wasn't bad when we were there. They have tons of activities - they'll give you a list when you check in. The photographer in the lobby in the evenings is a nice touch. We ate at Whispering Canyon and they brought us champagne to celebrate our anniversary. Roaring Forks is very small but had a decent selection. I hope you love this resort as much as we did!

MariMouse
04-08-2010, 12:35 PM
We are staying at the Lodge in a Villa in May. We love this resort. It's beautiful, fairly quiet, and very nice to take the boat to MK.

pamickeys
04-08-2010, 05:54 PM
a pool is a pool, but the bar by the pool at WL is great!

VWL Mom
04-09-2010, 07:53 AM
We love WL so much that when we bought into DVC we waited for VWL. In addition to what has already been mentioned you could always go to Sturdy Branches (located VWL) to enjoy a massage.

vicster
04-09-2010, 08:30 AM
a pool is a pool, but the bar by the pool at WL is great!

Ditto - and the Poolside Lemonade!

Pocahontas
04-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I've stayed at the Beach Club and Poly Resort, but Wilderness Lodge is my husband and my favorite resort. All the resorts are great, but there was something so warm, relaxing, and comfortable about this resort. We love both resturants there and nothing beats that beautiful fireplace.

We were there in a cool month, so the pool was not crowded at all. Did use the hot tub 2 or 3 times and had it to ourselves.

PetefromRI
04-10-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm so glad that everyone likes this resort.We'll be there for the first time in early December.I'm thinking that it should be beautiful with all the holiday decorations up but hopefully warm enough to swim.We figured that it's time to try some other resorts.

jonahbear2006
04-14-2010, 11:37 PM
how are the rooms in comparison to other deluxes?

waymickey
04-18-2010, 01:10 PM
The rooms are great but i have only stayed at the WL and value resorts. The grounds are amazing and the boat ride is so relaxing. The only complaint I have is the food choices. I wish there was a bigger variety on the menu. We often will eat at a theme park when we get tired of chicken and burgers.

ffrda
04-20-2010, 12:13 PM
how are the rooms in comparison to other deluxes?

Definitely smaller, but still nice. Very detailed decor, and all located fairly close to the main lobby (some are right there inside the main building). Just got back 2 days ago, and love this hotel.....

sleepydog5
04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Have stayed numerous times and love it. All the suggestions above are good, so I will echo them and more:
1) after a hectic day in the parks, the WL is much more serene and tranquil than other resorts. . .which I enjoy
2) definitely stroll around by the bike shop and further along down the beach. A trail about three hundred yards down leads up to the main, paved walking trail that connects FW to WL. Either/both are good places to run, as well. I've seen deer, rabbits, and a hawk with prey in its talons, sitting on the ground right on the trail.
3) the music is lovely and inspirational at the same time. . .western themed shows and symphony pieces by Aaron Copland abound.
4) the hidden Mickey game is fun. . .just ask for a sheet at the front desk
5) the architecture is stunning and quite detailed. . .spend some time just enjoying that
6) the main pool can be crowded at peak times, but there won't be an issue getting in the pool, just finding a chair to lounge in. . .the other pool is technically reserved for DVC members and has no slide
7) the geyser goes off hourly from mid-morning to mid-evening. . .kinda cool
8) bus service has always been good to me, plus you have the boat to MK. I think it's actually a little slower than taking the bus, but it can be calming if not taken right after MK closes
9) wonderful theming, down to the details of having outside lamps flicker and a stream inside the main lobby
10) Roaring Forks is fine for what it is (counter service, snack foods, grill); Whispering Canyon is rowdy and "down-home" cooking (personally, I find the food average and the service below average); BUT Artist Point is not to be missed--one of the absolute top restaurants at Disney, and a forgotten gem. It's a signature restaurant (i.e., expensive) but the food is superb with the service and ambience to match.

Have fun!

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-21-2010, 11:50 AM
One thing that I remembered about the rooms... we stayed in a studio villa, is the lighting in the bathroom sink area was fairly dim. Maybe it was the dark wood of the walls, but, the lighting was dim when putting on make-up (the one day I put it on for dinner!)

PlutoPlanet
04-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Great post SleepyDog5.
An alternate opinion, we like WCC a lot and eat there every year.

DadTriton
04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
We have 5 days at the Wilderness Lodge next month!
Anybody know roughly how long the bus takes to the MK vs the boat? In general and at peak time (park closing)?

sleepydog5
04-21-2010, 05:29 PM
We have 5 days at the Wilderness Lodge next month!
Anybody know roughly how long the bus takes to the MK vs the boat? In general and at peak time (park closing)?That's a tough call and truly depends on how long you have to wait for either one. In general, I found the buses to be slightly faster and more reliable (in terms of frequency), but all things being equal, the boat is more relaxing and, well, resort-like. If you're in a hurry, however, odds are the buses are a better bet since more MK buses come through WL than do boats.

sleepydog5
04-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Great post SleepyDog5.
An alternate opinion, we like WCC a lot and eat there every year.Thanks. I may have a slight affinity for VWL. . .lol And, yes, there are many folks who absolutely adore WCC which I understand. :mickey:

mickeytravel
04-22-2010, 07:19 AM
the boat ride is the way to go. So relaxing after a long day and usually not as crowded!

tmosier
04-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Love, love, love WL! Throwing in my two cents for what it's worth....

1.) Take the boat to MK whenever you can! It's super relaxing and besides, you can ride the bus when you get back home :)
2.) Get the resort refillable mug at Roaring Fork.
3.) About the hot tubs... we've found that one is hot and the other is barely warm.
4.) Don't do laundry at WL because the laundry room leaves a lot to be desired.

Have a great trip!

kemps@wdw
04-25-2010, 03:43 PM
You'll love the WL. The atmosphere is soothing and peaceful. 2 pools, the main free-form rock pool and the smaller quiet pool (over by the villas) are rarely too crowded (that we've seen). Quaint little bar by the pool, excellent dining options, electric water pageant on the lake by the beach, a stunning lobby area, and walking trail to FW. Be sure to ask about the resort tour and being Flag Famly of the Day. Let them know it's your anniversay. We prefer the courtyard view, as we like to take advantage of afternoon cocktails on the balcony, but really enjoyed the "lodge view" rooms that overlook the lobby. Great for relaxing in the rockers and people watching. :thumbsup: