PDA

View Full Version : In a pickle--about alfredo sauce!

DisneyWhirled
04-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Hello friends!

Just as my title states, I'm kind of in a pickle. I have 40 people coming to my house on Saturday to celebrate my daughters First Communion/Confirmation.
We are having a pasta dinner (lasagna, ziti and meat balls, grilled chicken alfredo, salad and garlic bread). I had planned on getting the alfredo at The Olive Garden, but I called tonight and a pint is $5 and it only serves 4.
::thedolls:

I know not everyone is going to eat that (with everything else we have), but I figure I need at least enough for 20 people. So, just the sauce is going to cost me $25!!

So, this brings me to my question, do any of you have a store bought alfredo that is really good you could suggest or maybe a yummy, easy recipe?

Please help!!

TinkiTime1989
04-07-2010, 12:06 AM
We've used Ragu Cheesy Classic Alfredo sauce in the past. Pretty good taste-wise and not too expensive. I would just buy one jar to try ahead of time though to make sure you like it enough to buy a lot to serve it to a bunch of people.

DVC2004
04-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I usually don't care for store-bought alfredo sauce. Is catering the alfredo (pasta and all) from Olive Garden out of the question? I would think it still would be costly but probably a better deal then just ordering the sauce.

VWL Mom
04-07-2010, 07:25 AM
Alfredo for that many is going to be tough. The thing with a good Alfredo sauce is it needs to prepared, served, and eaten quickly or it just doesn't work (IMO). Maybe a francaise? Needs to be kept hot but will stand up for a buffet.

kakn7294
04-07-2010, 08:42 AM
I make my own Alfredo sauce. It's fairly easy but needs to be served rather quickly or kept warm enough that it doesn't separate. I also can't guarantee that it's cheap - I don't really know how much it costs. Since I don't follow an actual recipe, here's my best guestimate:

1 stick salted butter (margarine will work but not as well)
1 cup heavy whipping cream
5 - 6 oz shredded parmesan cheese (not the powdered kind)
1/4 - 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (the powdered kind)
salt, pepper, and garlic to taste - I go light on these

Melt the butter in a skillet, add the cream, stir well. Add the salt, pepper, and garlic. When the mixture is hot and bubbly, add the shredded cheese, stirring continually until it melts. Add the grated cheese until sauce is as thick as you like it. Serve immediately over 1 package cooked fettuccine noodles.

Good luck! I'd probably buy jar sauce rather than go to all this trouble. :secret: And congrats to Kaylee! Give her hugs and kisses from us!

TheDuckRocks
04-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Classico has a pretty good one in a jar that I have used in the past. As I've been eating more healthfully for 3 years, I am now limiting my alfredo indulgences when eating out and not taking any leftovers home. :(