PDA

View Full Version : ?? San Angel Inn ??

AXOAlum
04-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I am SO torn. The past two times we went (once in 2006 and the other in 2005) we were so disappointed. We only went back in 06 b/c we thought surely we had just gone on an off-night and ended up with such bad food & service. Alas, same thing in 06.

Now I hear that it is under new mgmt and that it is supposedly all great & wonderful again. I am torn b/c we are on DDP and I don't want to waste a meal if we are going to be disappointed again. On the other hand, if it is great & wonderful now, I don't want to give up my ADR based on prior experience with a different owner.

Any thoughts from people who have been more recently? We are going in mid-May and I need to start looking for an alternative if I end up cancelling. Thanks :mickey:

WDWNut02
04-06-2010, 05:34 PM
I have been to Disney 5 times in the last 3 years and I make it a point to go every time. The food has been great! We did have a problem with servers gathering near our table once, but I blame it on the fact that the table was near the kitchen entrance. We talked to management and the problem was fixed right away. Have a great trip!

faline
04-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Personally, this is a place I've liked quite a lot and have always had good service and tasty food when we've dined here. However, I must say, I've not had the opportunity to dine here recently.

bretski99
04-06-2010, 07:00 PM
I personally would rather eat outside at the Cantina. We went in Aug 2009 for the first time. I didn't think the food was that great. I believe I had an enchilada dish of some sort. Mine was cold, as was my wife's. It was too bad too, because it was one of the restaurants we were eagerly anticipating. I also thought the service was incredibly slow, which would account for the cold food. We were there for two hours, had trouble getting drinks refilled, and generally it wasn't the best experience.

Maybe the new management has taken over since then and the food quality is better?

As an aside (this is more for folks who have never gone), my other issue with the place was everyone wants to gather by that upper wall and take pictures of the volcano. They turn on their flashes, and it's really disturbing to have flashbulbs going off while you are eating.

jenperich
04-06-2010, 10:50 PM
We went for the first time this past October and we loved it. The food was delicious and the margaritas even better! I think that restaurant is one of the most romantic I've ever been in. The ambiance is just wonderful. I think you will enjoy.

SurferStitch
04-07-2010, 10:19 AM
We are giving it another chance this October. We went there around 2000 or so, and didn't like it at all. Food was nothing but flavorless mush, but hopefully it has improved over the past 10 years or so!

twinboyz
04-07-2010, 02:05 PM
We went for the first time this past August. We had a great view and the margaritas we're awesome. Our meals were fresh and very good. We'd eat there every visit if we could!:thumbsup:

Stu29573
04-07-2010, 02:09 PM
We didn't go in June due to the fact that they said it would be closed for referb. (It wasn't, as it turns out) Anyway, we are planning on checking it out in November!

joonyer
04-07-2010, 02:10 PM
San Angel Inn is another WDW restaurant that has suffered from inconsistency in the past several years (see Coral Reef). Sometimes really good, sometimes, it can be really poor. You roll the dice and take your chances.

Bethanymouse
04-07-2010, 11:37 PM
We have not been pleased with our meals in San Angel. However, we have been very happy with the Cantina, just outside.

AXOAlum
04-08-2010, 10:10 PM
We've also visited the Cantina and been disappointed. If it is CS in EPCOT, I'd just as soon eat at Sunshine Seasons b/c I don't find much at WS for us (myself, DS and DD are all vegetarians).

I'm keeping it for now, but if I can get into Le Cellier (going for mom - she & daddy loved it and since he died 1.5 years ago, she hasn't gone back there & mentioned she would like to go with us this time) I will cancel it.

Thanks for the opinions :mickey:

LudwigVonDrake
04-09-2010, 06:02 AM
I've never had a problem at the San Angel and I'm going back in July :eat:

SBETigg
04-09-2010, 07:19 AM
I have had some good times at San Angel Inn. But if you've had two bad meals there, I wouldn't be rushing back to give it another shot. Maybe wait a few trips and hear what the feedback is after it all settles down.

RAIDER
04-09-2010, 07:52 AM
We went there for lunch last year for the first time ever and i would happily go back again . The food and service was excellent :thumbsup:

#1donaldfan
04-09-2010, 09:29 AM
:ack::ack::ack:.....if your going for atmosphere you'll fall back in love with it !! If your going for food quality and great service, then you'll be greatly disappointed again !! I just can't bring myself back to going again, and wasting the money and time....the food was horrid and the service was even worse.....it was our whole party who did not like it (10 of us), I might try again if it was just two or three of us, but all of us just found it terrible......:ack::ack::ack:

Fastpasssteve
04-09-2010, 01:39 PM
My friends and I had a wonderful meal there in early March of this year. I had steak tacos which were lovely. My friends all enjoyed their food a lot. I remember this last visit being head and shoulders above previous visits. Drinks were never left empty for a moment. Chips and salsa just as good. There seems to be a change of heart there now.

Also...not to be missed is the new Tequilla bar in Mexico. Delicious, imaginative margueritas. The bartenders know volumes about their particular brand of poison. I was not expecting to get a buzz AND an education at the same time. Awesome!

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Also...not to be missed is the new Tequilla bar in Mexico. Delicious, imaginative margueritas. The bartenders know volumes about their particular brand of poison. I was not expecting to get a buzz AND an education at the same time. Awesome!

Is the Tequilla bar inside or outside? I am slowly developing an immunity to Tequilla and would like to test it out :D:marg:

DVC2004
04-09-2010, 04:00 PM
Is the Tequilla bar inside or outside? I am slowly developing an immunity to Tequilla and would like to test it out :D:marg:

LOL! You are too funny!:marg:
The new tequila bar is inside th Mexico Pavillion, more towards the front. It's small but it was packed last time we were there. I wanted to try it out but we ended up skipping. Hey there's always next time.

crltkcagle
04-09-2010, 07:05 PM
I actually got a mild case of food poisioning after eating there last year. I didn't even finish my meal and was running to the bathroom. I will never ever eat there again! :ill::sick:

Stu29573
04-10-2010, 09:16 AM
I actually got a mild case of food poisioning after eating there last year. I didn't even finish my meal and was running to the bathroom. I will never ever eat there again! :ill::sick:

Are you sure it was from here? Food poisoning usually takes 5-8 hours to produce symptoms. It's more likely it was from undercooked eggs at breakfast... Just a thought!:D

beksy
04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
:rant:We have eaten here every trip for the last 6 trips or so and have never gotten a bad meal. We love the food and atmosphere. I decided on the last trip not to make ADRs for here (those decisions are left up to me!) and when we got to Epcot and my mom and sister asked what time we were going to San Angel Inn, I thought they were going to have a fit when I told them we weren't! :oops: It ended with my own mini-marathon through Epcot to Mexico to try to get ressies. :hurdle: Unfortunately Mom had an ECV and was right behind me the whole way asking how I could even think of a Disney trip without "the Mexican place" as she calls it. Luckily we were able to be seated and my ears were saved but I've learned that this is a must-do for us.

Tinksalot
04-10-2010, 09:36 PM
I thought the atmosphere was better than the food. Not that it was bad, just nothing great.