PDA

View Full Version : Holiday World - Santa Claus, Indiana - planning a trip

dntccc
04-06-2010, 12:22 PM
We are planning to go to Holiday World in Santa Claus Indiana on Labor Day weekend (or the weekend prior depending on what the weather looks like). This will be our first time going there. I have read almost nothing but good things about this park - voted cleanest park several years in a row, voted friendliest park several years in a row, one of the best water parks in the nation, some of the top coasters in the nation, etc. In addition, they have free parking, free drinks, and free sunscreen. From what I have read and seen it is really a family friendly park as they have serveral rides for all age groups, and as such, there should be plenty to do for our 3-year old daughter, our 6-year old son, and my wife and I.
For anyone that has ever been, what has been your experience there? Has anyone ever been on Labor Day weekend? According to their website, weekends in Sept are not supposed to be too bad crowd-wise.

Katzateer
04-06-2010, 02:31 PM
We used to live near there.

You will have a great time. It is a wonderful little park (compared to Kings Island) with great coasters and a nice waterpark.

The staff is great. I have not been on a holiday weekend but have been there a lot, especially when the girls were small.

You won't be disappointed.

Touchdown
04-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Holiday World is a spectacular park, and because of this it gets more crowded there by the year. The key to getting the most out of your day is to do the exact opposite of what the normal person does, for instance:

1. Be there at opening and instead of hitting Halloween like everyone else, go directly back to Thanksgiving and do the Voyage and Pilgrim's Plunge.

2. Be ready (lockers open before SS opens) to hit Splashin Safari when it opens. The Wildebeast, the worlds longest water coaster (waterslide that has uphill segments) is new this year and should be the first ride you hit. After that you need to ride (I appoligize in advance for any spelling mistakes) Zinga (Proslide Tornado,) Zoombabwe (Proslide dark family raft ride,) and Bauki (Proslide clover leaf tube "toilet bowl") all in the first hour, after that all five of these attractions will have 2 hour waits the rest of the time.

3. As the crowds desend on Splashin Safari they leave Holiday World, now is a great time to do the 4th of July section flat rides while you wait for Halloween to really quite down (those attractions should have <15 minute waits by noon.) As you wait for the last two hours that Splashin Safari is open see the Christmas section, and re ride favorites.

4. As I said, at about the two hour mark before Splashin Safari closes the place starts emptying out, with the exception of the "big 5" rides everything else will become a walk on at some point before closing, so start looking for those walk ons and hit the other slides one by one.

5. Holiday World is one of the few places in the world that does a "hard close" that is they close the lines to attractions when they have determined that enough people are in line for the ride to keep that attraction full until closing. That means the coaster lines will likely close sometime between 1 hour to 30 minutes prior to closing just keep that in mind.

d_m_n_n
04-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Holiday World is a fabulous alternative for Disney!! Touchdown gave EXCELLENT touring tips!

For an excellent (and VERY reasonably priced) meal, try hitting the restaurant in Thanksgiving. REAL cooking...not just the nomal hamburgers and fries.

Your DS and DD will love all they have to offer. If you make it to Splashin' Safari and want to do a wave pool, go to the one in the very back of the park. It is newer and much nicer than the older one up front!

I have never been during Labor Day. But to let you know, the park set attendance records last year! Be prepared for it to be busy, but with following Touchdown's advice, you should be fine!! :thumbsup:

Scott C
04-07-2010, 12:58 PM
That is my hometown park--at this point I can't add much to what has been said. It is a great deal of fun there. Schools around here start back in mid August -- so you should face light crowds. It will be very Hot and humid -- but there is lots of shade and of course the water park. I am afraid that your 3 yo will be too short for many of the rides--but will still have plenty to do. Lodging in the area is somewhat limited but given the time of year should not be a problem. I live in Evansville which is about an hour west. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns

Thanks
Scott C

DizNee143
04-09-2010, 10:04 AM
ive never heard of this place..
but it sounds awesome..maybe once my daughter is older we'll take a vacation out there and see what its all about! itll be something fun and different to do! :)

Tink#64
04-12-2010, 11:01 PM
We visit Holiday World every summer, it's about an hours drive from us & well worth the trip even though we have a Six Flags here! We usually spend most of our day at the water park, it's included in your admission and it's fun for all ages! When it cools off a bit and we've had our fill of the water, we head out to ride the rides! DH & DS's love all the coasters, but there's alot to choose from and it's not a huge park so you can pretty much do all that you want to do in a given day! There are discounts available for multi day visits. We've also camped at Lake Rudolph campground right next door which makes it really easy to be there for park opening and enjoy a full day without any of the driving time for the day! Also hotels in the area, but I don't have any experience there. It's a great park & on our must do list for every summer! :thumbsup:

Scott C
04-13-2010, 01:22 PM
So, my wife and I were out driving the Miata last Sunday and drove past HW. We approached the park coming from a different direction than usual. We drove past "Santa's Lodge" and it looked like a nice place to stay. No WL mind you, but still a modern decent place to spend the night. Also, if you are in the area Lincoln's Boyhood Home is just right down the road.

Thanks
Scott C

MushuGrl
04-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Has anyone mentioned the FREE DRINKS?

Also be sure to look at the Holiday World website. Last year they had a deal where you brought canned goods and Pepsi cans, and you got money off of your ticket, plus "Holibucks" good for food.

I love Holiday World. We have friends in the Jasper area and it's so much fun to go visit them and hit HW. If you're a Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin fan, be sure to hit the Gobbler Getaway in Thanksgiving land.

LiloLovesTheKing26
05-03-2010, 10:17 PM
I live about 40 min away from Santa Claus. I have not been to Holiday World in a few years but it is pretty fun! The water park alone is worth the trip!!

dntccc
05-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies thus far.

I am afraid that your 3 yo will be too short for many of the rides--but will still have plenty to do. Lodging in the area is somewhat limited but given the time of year should not be a problem. I live in Evansville which is about an hour west. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns

Thanks
Scott C

From what I read on the HW website it appears that there are several rides about 16 rides - a child that is at least 36" tall can ride, and our daughter is just over 36".

As far as lodging - we have considered the Santa's Inn or Rudolph Camp Ground. Do you (or anyone else familiar with this) know if the Santa's Inn is worth the cost? I have read basically mediocre reviews of the place. As for the Rudolph Camp Ground, if we stayed here we would rent a trailer. From what I can see, they do not have TV (you have to bring one) thus I assume you only get basic reception. We and our children enjoy watching TV at the end of the day. However, if the camp ground is nice otherwise, we may still consider it.

We are also concerned with the area as far as eating outside the park (such as breakfast and if we eat supper after leaving the park). I have read that HW is located in a very rural area. Are there places to eat close by (other than the restaurant in Santa's Inn)? If not, how far would the drive be to places to eat? Is there a city with hotels, places to eat, etc. closer than Evansville (that would be no more than about a 30 minute drive to HW)?

dntccc
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Holiday World is a spectacular park, and because of this it gets more crowded there by the year. The key to getting the most out of your day is to do the exact opposite of what the normal person does, for instance:

1. Be there at opening and instead of hitting Halloween like everyone else, go directly back to Thanksgiving and do the Voyage and Pilgrim's Plunge.

2. Be ready (lockers open before SS opens) to hit Splashin Safari when it opens. The Wildebeast, the worlds longest water coaster (waterslide that has uphill segments) is new this year and should be the first ride you hit. After that you need to ride (I appoligize in advance for any spelling mistakes) Zinga (Proslide Tornado,) Zoombabwe (Proslide dark family raft ride,) and Bauki (Proslide clover leaf tube "toilet bowl") all in the first hour, after that all five of these attractions will have 2 hour waits the rest of the time.

3. As the crowds desend on Splashin Safari they leave Holiday World, now is a great time to do the 4th of July section flat rides while you wait for Halloween to really quite down (those attractions should have <15 minute waits by noon.) As you wait for the last two hours that Splashin Safari is open see the Christmas section, and re ride favorites.

4. As I said, at about the two hour mark before Splashin Safari closes the place starts emptying out, with the exception of the "big 5" rides everything else will become a walk on at some point before closing, so start looking for those walk ons and hit the other slides one by one.

5. Holiday World is one of the few places in the world that does a "hard close" that is they close the lines to attractions when they have determined that enough people are in line for the ride to keep that attraction full until closing. That means the coaster lines will likely close sometime between 1 hour to 30 minutes prior to closing just keep that in mind.

We were planning on getting a 2-day ticket (second day is discounted) and going to HW one day and the water park the next. From what you describe above, it looks like you could do both parks in one day. Is this more of a one-day park or would we enjoy 2 days there?

Tink#64
05-19-2010, 12:32 AM
Do you have a tv with a dvd player to take with you? I'm not sure of the reception, our night time activities usually consist of whatever they have planned at the campground, sometimes it's a movie at the pavillion! Mostly we have a campfire & fix s'mores & enjoy our downtime. We fix whatever meals we're not eating in the parks at the campsite. The nearest restaurant that I know of is Wendy's - maybe 20 min's away, just as you exit I65. There might be more in another direction, but idk. It is a nice campground, but it's huge! We're big campers, but when we go to Lake Rudolph it's only for HW, not really for the camping experience. If you have any other q's that I might be able to help with, feel free to pm me!

Oh & to answer your q about 1 or 2 days, we always do a full day just in Splashin Safari - it's awesome! You could easily spend another enjoying the rest of the park & all the rides & shows!

Scott C
05-19-2010, 12:46 PM
We were planning on getting a 2-day ticket (second day is discounted) and going to HW one day and the water park the next. From what you describe above, it looks like you could do both parks in one day. Is this more of a one-day park or would we enjoy 2 days there?

I have not stayed at any of the properties that you have mentioned. I did drive past Santa's Lodge a few weeks back and it looked fine -- just don't expect disney style theming. It is a very rural area -- there are two "towns" close by Ferdinand and Dale -- not much there -- Denny's in dale would be condsidered the closest real food -- a couple of Subways here and there -- but that is about it. Closest city would be Jasper. It is about a 30 min drive or so to the north. Personally I would just make the trek to Evansville -- much more to do here and it is only about an hour. Another possibility are the cabins at Lincoln State Park -- about a 10 min drive from Holiday World -- nice but rustic -- no food nearby -- that would be up to you. The intersection of I-64 and US 41 provides lodging and a few restaurants. It is only about 45 min down the interstate -- that would save you from going in to Evansville.

Thanks
Scott C

Katzateer
05-19-2010, 10:48 PM
There are also some places to stay going towards Louisville. I think a Comfort Inn or some other chains near the caves that are advertised along the highway (probably about 45 minutes from Holiday World).

I am sure the places to stay around Holiday World aren't that exciting but the campgrounds are nice in the state parks. Can't remember - how far away is French Lick? They have a neat hotel and the grounds are interesting.

If you go towards Evansville let me know and I can recommend some great places to eat.

dntccc
05-27-2010, 05:50 PM
It is possible that we will have to change our travel dates to one of the weekends after the water park is closed mid Sept to early Oct. - the ride park will still be open. If that is the case, would it still be worthwhile to spend two days there or would one day be plenty of time for just the rides?

Tink#64
05-27-2010, 11:39 PM
IMHO, one day would be enough for the amusement park. But if you wanted to make it 2 days, you could revisit your favorite rides & shows!

d_m_n_n
08-14-2010, 07:17 PM
It is possible that we will have to change our travel dates to one of the weekends after the water park is closed mid Sept to early Oct. - the ride park will still be open. If that is the case, would it still be worthwhile to spend two days there or would one day be plenty of time for just the rides?

If you do change the dates, the Lake Rudolph campground has the hallow weekends. I have never been, but they are supposed to be pretty cool!

I wouldn't worry about the no TV. We stayed there for 3 days in July and not once did we miss having it (it was actually REALLY nice not having it!). The campground has so many activities planned, the boys were ready to go straight to bed when we got back to the camper at night :)