PDA

View Full Version : Planning to go to POR in May 2011. Need your opinions

Jim&AngieMarriner
04-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey there everyone!
We came to a decission last night and changed our mind about where we were going to stay for our next trip. We have never stayed on property and were going to stay at All Star Movies but are now planning to stay at POR. We want to stay in Alligator Bayou, mostly for the trundle bed.
So that we can mentally prepare for our trip We would LOVE to hear your opinions and thoughts both good and bad with POR and specifically the Alligator Bayou rooms.
Yeah I know we have over a year to go before we leave but I have to have my Disney fix and planning this to the smallest degree helps my addiction :ill: even if the plan falls through.
So tell me your stories of POR both good and bad, I cant wait to hear them.

Scott C
04-06-2010, 11:39 AM
We have stayed at POR 4 times 3 in AB once in the mansions. You will love it -- be sure to schedule some time to explore the grounds. Don't stress about location -- I have found that every room has both good and bad points. It all works out fine in the end. I would be glad to answer any specific questions that you might have.

Thanks
Scott C

forever a child
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Only stayed in POR one time, and POFQ once. We were in Mansions when we were at Riverside. We love POR and will be there in May this year as well. You will love it! Beautiful and relaxing. We are looking forward to take Boat to DtD. Pools are great as well a Food Court. It may be a bit of walking depending on where you are at but it is so beautiful that we dont really care. Hope you enjoy your stay!:mickey:

retiredfigment
04-06-2010, 12:14 PM
We love Alligator Bayou at POR. The buildings are cozy and more manageable than the mansions. It is a lot more shaded, so cooler. After a rain it smells soooo good. The walkways are beautiful and the quiet pools are great! Definetely explore the grounds and look at the sidewalks. Also, the food court is great! Rooms were comfortable but not really large, but hey, how much time do you spend in them. My kids enjoyed the trundle bed.

wildernesslady
04-06-2010, 01:22 PM
That was our Disney home before buying DVC. We love it so much we are returning there in Oct. Even though it is pretty large, it still feels cozy and relaxing. You will not be disappointed.

debandbub
04-06-2010, 06:53 PM
We love POR- we usually stay in the Mansions, and they are just beautiful. We've stayed in AB once, I think, and it was very nice as well. I love the walk to the Food Court first thing in the morning, so quiet and peaceful.
POR also offers horse-drawn carriage rides, though we haven't done that yet.
If you enjoy DTD, take the boat there instead of the bus. It's such a nice ride, even if it takes a little longer. The cast member who drives the boat (can you tell I am not nautical?) is usually full of interesting facts and info.
And who can leave out Piano Bob who plays in the lounge several nights a week. This past trip was the first time that we actually spent some time there enjoying his show- it was hysterical! Definitely treat yourself to a nightcap (or two) when he's there.
Hope this info is what you were looking for!

magicalmom
04-06-2010, 07:16 PM
. . . especially the Bayou. Fabulous pool, boat to DTD, lovely shady walks, lush landscaping, I gather there's a fishing hole, but DDs weren't interested. We love the richness of the boat-building theme. We love that the TS restaurant is so close. We love that we have the choice of the food court. We thoroughly enjoyed the piano man in the lobby, if he's still there? The trundle bed is a real plus for us, also.

And, in addition: the first time we stayed there, our assigned room overlooked the dumpsters. We asked if we could be moved to another standard room with a less gritty view, and they moved us right away to a room with a pool view. (It was January, so not booked full, I guess) Then, around four in the morning, in the new room, we awoke hearing funny plumbing noises - bubbling in tub and toilet. Well, to cut to the chase, the sewers were backing up and there were some mighty suspicious substances in the tub. We called the desk then, and Mousekeeping arrived by about 4:30 (a.m.!), plunged and scrubbed the toilet and tub, and all was quiet. By the time we got back from breakfast, maintenence (sp?) guys were working on the pipes outside our room. It turned out that there were roots in the sewer, blocking it. They fixed it immediately, and comped us for the night. You can't argue with that, so POR-AB has been our resort of choice since. We tried a couple of others, but came back to POR.

I know you will enjoy your stay - you've made a good choice!

(And I agree with you about the planning - it's half the fun! :pixie:)

Kairi_7378
04-06-2010, 10:25 PM
I think the POR resorts are wonderful. One nice thing about them is that they are "sister" resorts, so you can enjoy amenities at both of them. Take a walk (less than a mile) to POFQ one day for beignets. Enjoy the boat ride to and from DTD. (DTD looks wonderful from the water at night!) DH and I liked the quiet, sleepy feel to the resort.

LorrieP
04-09-2010, 12:15 PM
We're going to be there in May 2011 as well before sailing on our first Disney cruise! I'm trying to decide between POFQ and POR. I'm leaning towards POR.

One of the reasons I chose Port Orleans is that we can take the boat to DTD. We usually rent a car, but since we will only be there for 3 nights, decided to use Disney transportation. We plan to spend the first day at DTD and go to Cirque.

Jim&AngieMarriner
04-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Lorrie,
When are you planning on going in May 2011? The wife and I were thinking it would be fun to have drinks together at POR and swap stories with you once or twice.

stitch34
04-11-2010, 06:37 PM
We have stayed at POR for the past few years and would have again this year but were able to upgrade to Beach Club. We also always go in May - we love the weather this time of year...not too hot!

That being said we love this resort and I'm sure you will too. We always stay in AB and have been lucky enough to have a room with a view of the lake. It's awesome walking outside your room and just relaxing out there in the morning and evening. We enjoy the boat ride to DTD, the pools, and of course Piano Man Bob!!! We make sure we are able to spend a night in the lounge relaxing and singing along! Very entertaining:mickey:

LorrieP
04-12-2010, 09:06 AM
We will be there May 19-22.

Kaps
04-12-2010, 11:51 AM
The resort is very nice but if you don't like to walk request a building close to the main building. The grounds are quite large and the walk can get old after a few days, download a map of the property. This hotel also has (IMO) the best food court as well as a good sit down restaurant. We also enjoy the piano bar when the show is going on!! Enjoy your trip, you will love the resort.

#1donaldfan
04-12-2010, 12:07 PM
...we have ever only stayed at POR in the AB section and love it more n more each time....it's just got such a relaxing feel to it....the shaded walkways, the 6 pools, bike rentals, boat rentals, carriage rides, great food court, wonderful Boatwrights table service, boat rides to DtD, a short walk to the FQ...I could go on and on, but I'm sure you get the picture....67 days out and we'll be back....!!