PDA

View Full Version : Is there a special event of some sort going on around 12/1-12/7?!

andrew&ryansmommy
04-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know if there are any special events going on? I checked these dates on expedia and no rooms are avaialble at SEVERAL resorts! Any idea why? We have some flexiility as to when we can go, would a little later or earlier be better?!

Goofy4TheWorld
04-02-2010, 10:50 PM
My guess is that Expedia just doesn't have any rooms to sell.

Have you checked the WDW reservation website?

andrew&ryansmommy
04-02-2010, 11:02 PM
I have found rooms on the WDW site, just got worried I couldnt find any on other sites. I was checking expedia bc someone said they had gotten a good rate on there.

TammiMcMan
04-02-2010, 11:09 PM
If memory serves me correctly, that's around the time they film their Christmas show and I think Pop Warner football and cheerleading championships. They may have already blocked rooms to accommodate them, which would cause other resorts to start filling up.

Joannelet
04-02-2010, 11:10 PM
this is the week of the parade taping. Disney may not be extending rooms to other sellers because they can most likely sell those rooms during that week themselves.....depends on the resorts I think too.....They may give those other sites rooms as it gets closer to sell if they need to.
But that week has gotten really really busy the last couple of years....I was there this past year during those dates.

IrishMickey
04-03-2010, 08:44 AM
We have visited during that same week, and there are Pop Warner and cheer teams around, but it did not seem to have an impact at the parks, they are there, but also busy with their own things, however the Value resorts are filled with most of the teams. We had fun talking with all the teams from around the country, including the sweetest little girls from Hawaii who could barely contain their excitement about being at Disney world. I would not hesitate to visit during that same time period. I have also found that the travel sites are not really cheaper than the Disney sites. Good Luck planning :thumbsup:

PetefromRI
04-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Aside from Pop Warner and the parade the only other event going on is "WE'LL BE THERE"!!!!!!YEAH!!!!!

andrew&ryansmommy
04-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Do you think we should push our trip up by a couple days, or back? I am traveling with a 1 yr old and 3 yr old (at that time) and am trying to avoid crowds as much as possible. Christmas parade sounde fun, but really crazy I would guess. Any specific dates they are doing this?

TammiMcMan
04-04-2010, 12:08 AM
The parks themselves typically aren't crowded, even with the Pop Warner group. They're at Disney to compete, so much of their time is spent at the sports facility. I haven't seen any exact dates for the parade filming yet, but usually it's over the weekend. You can easily avoid the parks that they're filming at on any particular day. We've gone that time of year and would definitely go again.

eeyoregirl13
04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Thank you so much for the tips!! I was searching the boards for Pop Warner, since I am going to be in WDW during their competitions this year (first time going in Dec!!). I was really worried they would ruin the experience with all of the crowds, but it sounds like most of you didn't have too much of a problem with them.

I am also seeing on other boards that the Brazilian tour groups like to go during this time too?? That sounds a little more worrisome.

Rekenna
04-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Hi! We are tentatively planning to go around this same time frame (Nov 26-Dec 3). I too checked out Expedia and it said no rooms. But, as the others said the rooms may not have been released to the travel sites yet.

BTW-I have gotten an awesome rate for the Dolphin just this past February on a special on Expedia that was much less than everywhere else I looked-you never know.

We really want to see the Christmas lights at WDW for the first time and it's 2 of our DS's B-Days so we also hope this timing isn't too crazy busy. We're hoping to try POR for the first time and will be coming in after Thanksgiving and leaving before the weekend Christmas parade taping (I think).

Keeping my fingers crossed for you and me!:mickey:

sndral
04-28-2010, 12:31 AM
I was there the first week of dec '09, didn't see any pop warner/cheerleader/brazilian tour group types anywhere. It's a wonderful time to go, so wonderful, that's when I'm going back this year as well.

ransam
04-28-2010, 12:50 AM
we go that time every year and we've seen the pop warner, and brazilian groups, but to me that just adds to the fun. they are all so excited and singing as they walk. it's so disneyesque

mermaidmarian
04-30-2010, 08:22 AM
I have been during that first week in December. During my visit, it was Pop Warner and the Christmas Parade taping.

renecat
04-30-2010, 03:16 PM
I was there at this time in 2008. The most crowded I have ever seen in all the years I have been going (25 years). It was my 5th trip in Dec. and probably my last. Last year we went in Sept. what a differance. Walked on many attractions. Didn't really even have to wait for Toy Story mania. It is a little warm at that time of year but boy the price was great. This year we are going in Oct. more expensive and will probably be more crowded but it was the only time one of our party could go. If it is your first trip around Christmas you will enjoy all the decorations. Hope you have a great trip.