PDA

View Full Version : wheelchairs

jonahbear2006
04-02-2010, 08:56 PM
We are gonna be staying at the wilderness and will have someone who will need a wheelchair in the parks. I have heard people renting them from other companies and having them delivered? Is that a better choice? If we rent in the parks how often do they run out of ECVs in August? what is the best way to do this?And for shows like Nemo and stunts motor cars ; things like that, will she be able to stay in her wheelchair and watch?

jonahbear2006
04-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I appologize. I see now there was a special needs category for this. i dont know how to move it..

DisneyPrincess21
04-02-2010, 10:42 PM
We are gonna be staying at the wilderness and will have someone who will need a wheelchair in the parks. I have heard people renting them from other companies and having them delivered? Is that a better choice? If we rent in the parks how often do they run out of ECVs in August? what is the best way to do this?And for shows like Nemo and stunts motor cars ; things like that, will she be able to stay in her wheelchair and watch?

We have rented both from the parks and from an outside vendor. I prefer renting from the outside vendor for the fact that it is cheaper, you can use it around your hotel and DTD, and you can selected the model that fits your needs best. Plus when you park hop you don't have to worry about the other park being out of ecv's when you arrive.

I used Buena Vista Scooters. They delivered directly to the bellhop at my hotel, and the bellhop delivered the ecv to my room. I talked with many other ecv users in the park who all commented to me how nice the model was that I had and how it was far nicer and had more features then the ones offered in both the parks, and by the other outside vendors.

Most shows they will have an wheelchair viewing area and they will usually allow the other people in your party to sit close by if space is available, Disney tries to allow families to be able to enjoy the experiences with one another.

You can PM me if you have any other questions :thumbsup:

DisneyPrincess21
04-02-2010, 10:43 PM
I appologize. I see now there was a special needs category for this. i dont know how to move it..

Don't worry a moderator should be along shortly and they will move the topic for you to the correct page :thumbsup:

mom2Z&A
04-03-2010, 02:28 PM
Back in 1999 we used wheelchairs at WDW. Our experience was good overall but found that while the resorts have wheelchairs, their wheelchairs could not be taken to the parks, unfortunately. I do not know if this is still the case or if the resorts still have wheelchairs for use within the resorts.

Wish we had known about the rental place that the pp mentioned. But check it out. They do have some really nice choices!

Good Luck!

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Just moved the thread over to our Guests with Special Needs forum, where there are many experts who can help!

For us, we've travelled once with my Mom who needs and ECV, and we rented it from an off-site company (Buena Vista Scooters) and were delighted. It was great to have it for her to explore the resort, as well as for getting to the park itself.

We had an experience a couple of trips ago, where I hurt my back and needed a wheelchair for a couple of days. We just rented them from the park, but again, found getting from the car/bus to the park entrance was hard.

In both cases, Disney is great for those in ECV's and wheelchairs. For most things, such as the shows, you can stay in it, and for the things where you need to transfer, they will make sure you have the time you need, and will have your ECV or wheelchair waiting for you when you get off.

I would rent one from an off-site company, so you know you have it for the entire trip.

jonahbear2006
04-03-2010, 05:20 PM
thank you everyone. this helps out a great deal. She isn't stricken to a chair and doesnt use one at home but with her fibromyalgia and arthritis, walking too far is not good. She has avoided going with us in the past because she felt it was impossible but we have consistently told her that should not stop her from seeing disney. I have looked at both apple and beuna vista and I am finding apple is quite cheaper. Beuna looks like about $40 a day where apple is $135 for 6 days.

cajunmickey
04-03-2010, 05:31 PM
I had the same problem with my mom. She doesn't use a chair to get around at home but disney is another story. We finally convinced her two years ago. I had a wheel chair waiting for her. She tried it one day to the Studios. After that she was glad to have us push her around. She was not sure about an ECV. We are going the end of May and mom was more than happy to come along this time. I also rented from apple it makes the trip much easier.

Pop Centurion
04-04-2010, 02:51 AM
Last year when my fiance's legs swelled up we used K&M rentals. They charged $25 per day with a 3 day minimum. Very friendly service.
They deliver to the resorts but we got lucky because there was one already at Pop that somebody previously used & returned.

Nice ECV too for the price. It had variable speed, lights for night time, horn, arm rests, and a basket in the front. They have different models but this one was perfect.

If you want I can PM you the phone number and website.