PDA

View Full Version : We're Staying At The Poly!

poeticeclipse
04-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Last week I won a trip through Orbitz for a 7 night stay at WDW for four. Tickets, accomodations, $250.00 gift card, etc.

The Orbitz rep just e-mailed me and told me that we're going to be staying at the Polynesian Resort! My DREAM resort! I'm so excited I could burst.

Now, all you Poly experts need to help me out. What are your best tips for staying at the Poly?! Any things I shouldn't miss?

My husband and I are taking our moms. This is my mother-in-laws first trip to WDW. :)

Darbylew
04-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Congrats to you! How lucky to be the winner
and staying at the Poly. WOW! I have never
stayed there so I am not any help but just
wanted to say Congrats to you. I know some
one will come along with your answers. ;)
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
MAY! :D

Wishmaker
04-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I am so happy for you :thumbsup:. It is very encouraging to see someone actually win something like this. To get to hear all about it is so awesome.
You and your family are going to have one amazing and memorable trip. :mickey: Can't wait to hear all about it. I hope you continue to update us all on the process.
Congrats Congrats Congrats :D

PetefromRI
04-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Make sure you have the pressed pot coffee at Kona Cafe.We love the Tonga Toast at Capt.Cooks,it's half the price than at the Kona.I think that the Poly has the best store for Disney stuff.We love sitting on the beach watching the water parade and fireworks every night.So glad to hear that you won,and at the Poly no less!

diz_girl
04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Congratulations!

As for the Poly, unless you are staying in club-level or the suites, then IMHO the best building is Tokelau. It is centrally located from the beach, pool, GCH and TTC. Plus, some garden-view rooms have side lagoon views. We could see the CR and SM from our balcony, as well as seeing and hearing the riverboat from the TTC to the MK. The rooms in Tokelau are the largest standard-size rooms on property, so you can really spread out.

If you've never stayed at a Deluxe before, then be aware that there is no food court, just a quick-service restaurant. But it's quite nice and I think that you can still get sushi there. Of course, there is 'Ohana and the Kona Cafe. You can't miss with breakfast at the Poly.

The grounds are lovely and it's great to sit at the beach to watch the EWP (at 9 p.m.) or Wishes at night. They have swing benches and hammocks if you don't want to sit on the beach. You can also watch them from the dock or the side of the pool closest to the beach.

One of the best features is its convenience to both monorails. You get the MK monorail from the GCH at the Poly and you get the EPCOT monorail from the TTC just next door. You can also take the boat to/from the MK, which is a nice alternative.

The Lobby in the GCH is nice. Even thinking about it (and the plants and waterfall) relaxes me. Plus, there is the Wyland galleries, which has nautical-themed artwork and jewelry.

Since there are four of you, at the Poly you get three beds to choose from, which are the two queen beds, plus the daybed.

disney1122
04-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Congrats to you! Poly is one of the best!

buzznwoodysmom
04-02-2010, 07:57 PM
One word of warning. You aren't going to want to stay anywhere else after. I had long wanted to stay at the Poly, but had been putting it off because I also wanted to try to stay at all the WDW resorts one day. We were saving the Poly for last because it was our "dream resort". Well in Nov. I booked a 3 night stay at the Poly after our week stay at BCV as a surprise for my DH and children. My DH was leaving for Iraq shortly after our trip and I wanted something special for him. Now I just can't imagine staying anywhere else. Its just a very special place to be at, there's no other way to describe it. You are going to love it. Congrats!!!

mickeefan
04-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Congratulations, lucky you. The Polynesian is our favorite.
I don't know when you are going, but remember you can start getting your ADR's at the 180 day mark. This can all be done online. Ohana can be hard to get so start early. We also love eating at Kona Cafe.
In addition to what has already been listed one of our favorites is to go over to the marina and rent one of the boats and tour Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. We love the pontoon boats with their ease of getting on and off.Great views of the Contemporary, Bay Lake Towers, Wilderness Lodge and the Grand Floridian and entrance to the MK.
Your gonna git spoiled there.
Enjoy

DisneyorBust
04-03-2010, 10:41 AM
So many great aspects to the POLY:
'Ohanas and Kona's Cafe are great places to dine. If you have the time, watch WISHES! from the Poly beach, it's a very nice way to end an evening with your spouse, especially with an adult beverage.:marg::beer: We also love being able to make a short walk to the TTC and the GCH for a Monorail ride to Epcot and MK.
We love the pathways at night lit by the Tikki torches with the Poly music playing in the background.
Like other posters have said, you may never want to stay at any other resort!
Have a fantastic time ! And CONRATULATIONS!

big blue and hairy
04-03-2010, 12:08 PM
First off, a disclaimer, DW and I stayed at the Poly in the concierge honeymoon suite and absolutely loved it!

OK, the only two negative things I can say about the Poly, one is funny, one disappointing (to me, anyway...). When we stayed we pretty much spent the whole weekend at the resort, we went to MK for a couple of hours, so we were at the pool and beach a lot. The music loop is surprisingly short! Not only did we know all the songs by the second day, we knew what was coming next! ;) The disappointing thing to me was that apparently, we stayed in the only king bed room in the entire resort! I'm shocked by that. I mean, I know it's mostly families with kids at WDW, but what better place for a romantic stay at WDW than the Poly.

That said, congrats and you will love it!

:sulley:

PirateLover
04-03-2010, 12:14 PM
You MUST have a Lapu Lapu!!! MMMMM:papple::papple:

It's a fantastic resort and everyone has given some great tips. If you have time I would rent one of the little boats and explore the MK resort area by boat. Very cool. Enjoy!

cer
04-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I have no tips, but I am soooo thrilled for you! So cool they are setting you up in the Poly!

Spaceship Tigger
04-06-2010, 10:04 AM
The music loop is surprisingly short! Not only did we know all the songs by the second day, we knew what was coming next!

I noticed that same thing the last time we were there! One of the few disappointments about the place...

mickeefan
04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Just a couple of tid-bits I thought of that has not been mentioned.
If you are a chocolate lover try a Kilauea Torte at Kona Cafe. It is a chocolate cake volcano filled with liquid chocolate.
You might want to check out the Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show held at the Poly.

Kairi_7378
04-06-2010, 10:27 PM
No tips... but I had to chime in and say congratulations on winning a stay at the Poly!

Jennifer_and_Chris
04-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Make sure you have the pressed pot coffee at Kona Cafe.We love the Tonga Toast at Capt.Cooks,it's half the price than at the Kona.I think that the Poly has the best store for Disney stuff.We love sitting on the beach watching the water parade and fireworks every night.So glad to hear that you won,and at the Poly no less!

:ditto: ON EVERYTHING!!!!! We do everything mentioned above and we've never stayed there!!! One thing I want to add i that if you like sushi, the coffee stand right next to Kona Cafe turns into a sushi bar. We will be having sushi there in October. We plan on grabbing some sushi and eating by the pool or on the beach while watching the Water Parade and Wishes.

poeticeclipse
04-07-2010, 01:22 PM
You all have been great! I love all of the tips! Read these all to my hubby and he's getting PUMPED!

Thank you guys. I promise i'll keep you updated :)

luvdiznee
04-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Congrats! :marg:We have enjoyed our stay at Tokelau at the Poly. The pool is a dream. :cloud9:The beach to watch the fireworks is beautiful. And yes, a Lapu Lapu is a must. :marg: I'm so jealous. :mickey:Have a great time.

bouncer
04-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Stacey, did you do your homework & google Tikiman's site? I go on there regularly to get my Poly fix. :cloud9:

eeyorepoohfan
04-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Like others before me, I have not stayed at the Poly. But I am sooo excited for you and your family! It sounds like it will be a great trip! I've walked the grounds and it's beautiful. I also look forward to hearing about your trip!! :mickey: