PDA

View Full Version : Real savings with pin codes?

mom2morgan
03-31-2010, 11:19 PM
I've been following Disney prices for quite a while - and I've always hoped for one of those fantastic pin codes! But I'm beginning to have a suspicion that they really don't offer anything that the general public can't get their hands on. It seems like the kinds of offers I'm seeing people write about are pretty comparable to other available specials. I also suspect this is true of the "free" dining - if you pass that up, you can usually get room only discounts that are similar values. Do you think I'm on to something here?

angie12210
04-01-2010, 01:28 AM
I just wanna know how these people get ahold of these 'pin codes' to begin with???

gollybass
04-01-2010, 03:42 AM
they wouldnt offer them to so many if they werent comparable IMHO

Strmchsr
04-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Generally the pin codes are similar to the offerings that are released to the general public. The advantage of a pin code is that they usually allow you to book these discounts well before anything is available for the general public. Sometimes the pin code is even the better deal. I just give my pin code to Wendy at Magical Journeys and she figures out if it's the best deal or the public offering is. Whichever is the better deal, that's what I go with.

Tygger7
04-01-2010, 08:01 AM
Both of the pin codes I've received have been WAY better deals than were available to the "public". In fact, they're better than free dining...for my parents' September trip, a free dining discount would have saved about $800...the pin code saved us $1100. Not saying this is always the case, but for us they've been a better deal. But, we always send any pin codes we get to Terrisue of MJ and she compares discounts and sets us up with the best deal.

forever a child
04-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Here is an example of my last pin code offer. I ended up saving more with the general public room only offer for our may trip. But right now I would save more than the summer offer going on. I can use it up to Dec 16 with the exception of the few black out dates. So It seems like it just depends. But as was stated by someone else...it came out before the general public offer and it is available for longer.

"What will you celebrate?"

Save 30%*

at Select Disney Value Resorts
Save 35%*

at Select Disney Moderate Resorts
Save 40%*

at Select Disney Deluxe Resorts

For stays most nights 1/18–2/11/10, 2/15–3/27/10, 4/11–7/1/10, 7/5–10/7/10, 10/11–11/23/10 and 11/28–12/16/10.

#1donaldfan
04-01-2010, 12:08 PM
.....yeah our pin code this year saved us $ 800, and the GP discount we started with saved us about $ 400, so we saved $ 400 with using the code....it's rare for us to save much more than that.....plus, we were going anyway, so any $$ amount off is a plus....

TiggerFan3590
04-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I received a pc and was able to book our trip in November with a discount... Don't know why I received one, but very greatful for it...:thumbsup: We haven't been in 5 years and are very much looking forward to it...

mom2morgan
04-01-2010, 01:48 PM
I just wanna know how these people get ahold of these 'pin codes' to begin with???

disney seems to send them out pretty randomly to people on their mailing list - so make sure you're on their mailing list! If you haven't done it already, request one of the vacation planning DVD's. It was after I did that, that I got my one and only pin code offer. There are different "theories" on how to get one - I personally think they are often used to attract someone who has shown interest, but not actually booked a vacation yet. As I say, though - it is pretty random.

Frog
04-01-2010, 03:05 PM
when they come, what do they look like? I have a tendency to throw away anything that even resembles junk mail..

Strmchsr
04-01-2010, 04:14 PM
when they come, what do they look like? I have a tendency to throw away anything that even resembles junk mail..

I don't know what the mailing ones look like but the email subject line will have something like "a special offer for the X Family" You just need to make sure they are on your "safe" list with email so that the pin doesn't get sent to the spam folder.

forever a child
04-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Our came from Disney Destinations and read
"Save on a magical Disney Resort stay, XXX family!"

buzznwoodysmom
04-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I've been getting them pretty regularly for the past year and a half. What I've noticed mostly is that I'll have about 5% more off than the general public discount. And I also get the pin code at least several weeks before the general public discount is released. Which means I get to book with the discount before rooms start to become hard to come by with the discounts. Those are the two differences I've seen so far.

marlaine
04-01-2010, 09:14 PM
I booked my trip on Jan. 1 using a pin code I received. Our trip is in Sept. That's WAY before the GP offers I've seen since. We're staying Poly CL and the discount is substantial. I don't think we could stay CL if we didn't have the code.
I always request the planning DVD and I order a lot from Disney shopping. I'm not sure if that's the reason I get the codes, but whatever the reason, it makes me quite happy! :thumbsup:

Ksmith75
04-02-2010, 08:11 PM
We got a pin code that we are using for our trip at the end of the month. It saved us $726.oo off the regular price for our 9 night stay....we were and are thrilled....

brewcrew26
04-04-2010, 09:44 AM
I've been getting pin codes for about six months now quite regularly. If you don't use them, do they stop sending them to you?

We don't plan on going for a trip until 2011 but some of the deals we have been getting have been really good. Just curious.

kakn7294
04-04-2010, 10:20 AM
I just wanna know how these people get ahold of these 'pin codes' to begin with???It's really pretty random but the last few times I've requested the vacation DVD, I've gotten a pin code shortly thereafter. They are usually slightly better deals than the general public offer although not always. We've gotten them for significant room discounts and free dining (at times when it wasn't available to the general public).

mickeefan
04-04-2010, 10:48 AM
As much as we go we never get pin codes. I have been relying on AP rates and bounce back offers.
Now that we have to cancel our May trip maybe we will get something, but I doubt it.