PDA

View Full Version : Crowds/Temp/rain in August

Bellerella
03-30-2010, 03:27 PM
We're going to Disney!!! :mickey::mickey::mickey: Always a very exciting decision! This year we decided Aug 11-18 works the best for us. has anyone been during the middle of August? How are the crowds during that part of the month, how brutal is the Florida heat, and about how much rain do you think you got when you were there? We've been to WDW in May and July, and actually found May to be more crowded and seemed to have heavier or more rain than when we went in July the year before. Thanks!!

Strmchsr
03-30-2010, 04:16 PM
I can't speak too much on crowds, but the weather I can tell you right now - highs in the low to mid 90s, dewpoints in the 70s and 80s (which means REALLY humid), lows in the low 70s and a brief, but intense afternoon thunderstorm most days between 3 and 5 pm. That's also peak hurricane season. If you want specifics on the weather, look in Info Central under the historic weather conditions page and you'll see the exact conditions for your dates over the last 5 years.

wdwvacationeer
03-30-2010, 04:32 PM
We are also going in August- almost the exact same dates-8/10-8/17. This is typically our summer vacation and we like this week because it gives us a few weeks before "back to school" gets into full swing. The weather is, as you would guess, HOT! However, totally do-able. We always take a break in the afternoons to avoid the hottest temps and this is usually when the rain hits- if there is going to be any rain for the day-there have been days when there has not even been a slight afternoon down pour. Honestly, the second week of August seems to be a good one weatherwise- I have neighbors that have gone earlier and the neighbors on our other side went closer to September and both had really, really wet weather. So, I don't know what it is about this week, but it seems to be the most rainfree week in August- at least since I have been keeping track. As for the crowds, it is busy and there seems to be a lot of people from other countries, particularly England and maybe Brazil (?). I think they were offered free dining during this time for the last couple of years and that incentive seems to have worked and I think this adds to the crowds. Busy, but not holiday ridiculous.

magicalmom
03-31-2010, 05:44 PM
We've been several times in August. It's hot and humid, for sure, but we love it. A couple of strategies:

* everybody carries cheapie rubber flip flops or wears crocs. Really, the only unpleasant part of being rained on in warm weather is wet socks and shoes. We change into flip flops, put on the ponchos, and enjoy the suddenly emptier park.

* carry water bottles!!!! You can also carry the battery powered water sprayer fans.

* the gel-filled bandanas you wet down and wear around your neck or head are nice.

Have fun!

MarkC
03-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Been there many times in August. The later the date, the lower the crowds. With the economy as it is, you should find crowds very manageable. Just take advantage of fastpass and hit the parks early to stay out of the heat. Swim in the afternoon-- you will have a great time.

jonahbear2006
04-01-2010, 09:10 AM
where do you find gel filled bandanas?

Strmchsr
04-01-2010, 09:23 AM
where do you find gel filled bandanas?

I think Wal-Mart usually has them, but I always find them at outdoors/sports stores.

magicalmom
04-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I found our gel-filled bandanas at a camping supply store; I've also seen them in camping catalogues - more the ones for serious campers (campmore, etc.) than the trendy ones with the glossy pages. (A google search would turn them up, I think). We like them a lot - they don't drip the way regular wet bandanas do.