PDA

View Full Version : Movie ticket prices on the rise

pink
03-27-2010, 01:35 PM
DBF and I went to the movies last night and our tickets were $11.50 each. :confused:

Today, I just read an article saying that most theatres are raising their prices. In some places in NYC the ticket for a 3D film can go as high as $20 they said.

Is anyone else a little put off by this?

I almost feel like seeing a movie in the theatre isn't worth it for $11.50 anymore.

PirateLover
03-27-2010, 02:58 PM
I saw this on the news yesterday. They said many theaters will be raising their prices by $1.50-$2.00. They profiled a family of four coming out of the theater and they said between tickets and concessions their entire trip to the movies cost $62.
We used to combat prices by doing matinée specials but many theaters around us are severely slicing matinée hours and one isn't doing any now.

RedSoxFan
03-27-2010, 03:08 PM
This is one of the reasons I do not go to the movies. It is expensive to go to the movies. I very rarely go and hardly ever get food at the concession. Plus having to deal with people talking, eating, etc is a big turn off. I just assume wait the 17 weeks and buy it on Blu Ray and watch it at home.

magicofdisney
03-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Lately, if I see a movie advertised on TV that looks interesting, I'll put it in my Netflix queue (and wait for its release on DVD). There have been very few exceptions to this.

DizneyRox
03-27-2010, 06:19 PM
And they wonder why people download movies!

I haven't been since IronMan, won't be again till IronMan 2 probably. It's not worth the expense. I'd rather wait and watch it in my home theater...

TheVBs
03-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Wow!! Those prices are outrageous. We don't go to the movies often, but when we do the theater we enjoy going to still has $7 matinee prices and special twilight (4-6pm) prices of $6.25. Otherwise we just do Netflix.

Melanie
03-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Thank goodness we still have the $5 matinees.

DVC2004
03-28-2010, 09:22 PM
We barely go anymore- between the prices and what is out, we'd rather stay home most of the time. When we do go I bring candy from Walgreens (boxes 4 for $5 deals with way more contents than what is offered at the theater) and our own soda (we like pepsi!). We buy popcorn but that is it. I think it's terrible the prices and for what? Lately a bunch of remakes. We'd rather get our Netflix and sit in comfort in our home theater with pizza and out butt-shaker theater seats!

QTPie68
03-29-2010, 01:48 AM
Movie tickets today were $10.50 here in the DC 'burbs....I was a little surprised, since it seems it was about $10.00 a couple of months ago (you see how much I do the movies!!).

I remember when Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom came out (yes, I am THAT old) and we went into the city to see it at a movie theature that was new...it cost $3.00 and that was outrageous, but we paid.

MNNHFLTX
03-29-2010, 08:40 AM
Maybe the major theater corporations are riding a recent high on movies such as Avatar, but I think they will be unpleasantly surprised at what this move does to their bottom line. Most people I know have already cut back on how often they go to the movies and will probably go even less now. As for me--count me in as one who rarely sees a movie in the theater (as in once or twice a year). For the money you pay for tickets and concessions, I can just as easily wait a month or two and see it in the comfort of my home when it comes out on DVD.

d_m_n_n
03-29-2010, 11:20 AM
You can include our family in the seldom go to a movie theater crowd! For half the price of what it costs to take the family to a movie, we can wait a couple of months and BUY the dvd...to view it as many times as we want!! Sure, some movies are better on the big screen, but we'll just keep using our imaginations! :)

jillluvsdisney
03-29-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm very selctive about what I go see in a theater. 99% of the time I see a matinee also.
I just Alice in Wonderland 3D. The matinee was $9.50 and and worth every penny. It was a fabulous movie.

lighteningqueen
03-29-2010, 06:01 PM
No way here. Just could buy some serious groceries.. Netflix is just fine and we can come and go as we please and not miss a thing. Plus watch it again before we return nit if we choose. For 16.99 month. I bet the theaters are going to be a thing of the past like alot of has been things.