PDA

View Full Version : French Quarter/POR

thejens
03-27-2010, 09:39 AM
We usually stay in a deluxe, but this year we are trying a moderate for financial reasons. I have two sons, 6 and 12. Can anyone help me feel excited about these resorts? We will stay in FQ, but I imagine we will explore both resorts/pools. Can we use the wave runners here? Is the carriage ride worth 35.00 and is it hard to reserve? Is Boatwrights worth it? ADRs required? We have a car so will probably drive to the parks (except MK.) Just trying to get excited and feel a bit let down.

Tinker Fan
03-27-2010, 09:49 AM
We have stayed at POR, and will be staying at POFQ in September. I can say that we loved POR, the resort and grounds were so awesome. The pool was great, not an overcrowded resort. It was nice to go back to some place a little quieter after a busy day. The grounds were so nice, the best out of all the resorts we have stayed at...AKL, CBR, Music, Movies. I can't wait until out stay at POFQ.

JoDisney
03-27-2010, 09:50 AM
My three boys definitely preferred POR main pool to the POFQ pool. FQ has a nice theme pool but it is small. The slide is a sea serpent but the slide is short. Of course, they love Beach Club's pool slide, but prefer POR's main pool when not at a deluxe. FQ was fine when they were very young, but prefer POR's when they got a little older. What is also nice about POR is that they have quiet pools near the buildings you stay.

KAT1811
03-27-2010, 09:57 AM
IMHO if you are going from a deluxe to a moderate you may be happier at Coronado Springs. It has more of a deluxe feel to it. The rooms have queen beds and a sliding door to separate the sink area from the rest of the room where the other moderates only have a curtain. They have a spa and a business center. Just my :twocents:

forever a child
03-27-2010, 10:03 AM
I have never stayed at a Deluxe resort before but POFQ/POR are my favorites. (I prefer POR) I love the lush greenery that each resort offers. I like having a relaxing stroll and the option on doing, bike, carriage or ski jet rides/rentals. But there is the boat to DtD. So if offers a lot of resort options as well as POR having a Table service restaurant option. I do not recall seeing him during our last stay but there is a musician that plays piano and sings at POR. I hear he is very funny and the entertainment is very good. And since you can visit each resort and pool it is a bonus if you don't like the theming in one you can visit a different one. Hope you end up enjoying your time!

mom2morgan
03-27-2010, 10:48 AM
We love POR but we haven't stayed in a deluxe yet, so for us the moderates are a splurge ;-) The boat ride to downtown Disney is AWESOME, so that is one point to get excited about. We did the carriage ride - it was nice, but I don't think it was a "must do". We booked it before we got there - it seems booked pretty solid. Boatwright's is okay, but not the kind of restaurant you'd travel any distance to get to. We didn't need ADR's in December, but you might if going in a busier time. For better dining, you might prefer to take the boat to DD. We LOVED the grounds, and I agree that older children would like the pool at POR much better (and of course, you ARE allowed to use it - you just have to walk over or take the bus). We stay at POR because we also like the option of the quiet pools being a very short distance from our room.

thejens
03-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Thanks so much. We have stayed for part of our stays at Pop and ASM and really enjoyed them, so I suspect we will love the moderates as well. I debated on CS due to the queen vs. double beds, but thought the FQ/POR looked more fun for kids. We don't spend much time at the resort anyway, but I have absolutely loved the deluxe resorts we have stayed at and am trying to get excited. I appreciate your help!!!

mom2morgan
03-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Oh, well if you've enjoyed the Values, I'm sure you'll enjoy the Moderates, too! I know CS has its fans, but I personally like the Port Orleans resorts much better, so I think you made a good choice ;-)

RedSoxandPatsfan
03-28-2010, 08:54 AM
The Fishin Hole at POR was a lot of fun for my DS and I. We are both early risers compared to the rest of our group. We would grab some breakfast early and do a little cane pole fishing on the way back to the room, while we waited for the girls to get ready.

It is a very relaxing resort with beautiful grounds. I will always consider staying there again.

Hope you have a wonderful time.

thejens
03-28-2010, 11:46 PM
I would love to hear more about the Fishing Hole! My boys would love that. Unfortunately I am not sure we could do it early, I am all about getting to the parks by opening and definitely will not get up before then! How's the fishing at 4:00 p.m.?

Mitzie
03-29-2010, 08:39 AM
We have stayed at a couple of deluxe resorts and 3 of the 4 Mods. The one trip we split POR and BC, we found ourselves missing POR! Beautiful grounds. CRS is very nice and would definitely go back. It's main pool with the Mayan pyramid is something your kids might like. Go in wanting to appreciate what that resort offers and not trying to compare it to any others. IMHO all the Disney resorts are special and can be appreciated for themselves.

faline
03-29-2010, 09:15 AM
We have stayed at all levels of Disney resorts. Yes, they are different but,as another poster noted, go and appreciate what your chosen resort has to offer instead of focusing on what it does not have! Our last trip was a Savannah view room at Animal Kingdom. Our next trip will be a king bed room at Port Orleans French Quater. We stayed at French Quarter last year and really enjoyed the ambience of this resort!

Giselle
03-29-2010, 12:29 PM
We used to stay at only Deluxes and made the switch to moderates as well. The mods have won me over. I like the outdoor entrance instead of inside a building. It seems like mods are more kid-friendly. I like the smallness of POFQ and the transportation was great. The pool was great for my 6 yo DD. Quiet pools aren't so useful for us do to them all being over 3 ft deep and DD can't stand up in them. I liked Boatwrights. It's nice to eat at the hotel to get out of the hustle and bustle of the parks sometimes. Also, when we get to the parks, we like to spend the time on the attractions and not eating so having a good food court and restaurants is definitley a plus.

Kaps
03-29-2010, 08:12 PM
We have not stayed in a deluxe but POR is real nice. My boys love the pool and the fishing hole. The grounds are really well kept I prefer the Bayou section. We also enjoy the water taxi to downtown, nice and relaxing

thejens
03-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Thank you all so much. I am getting excited now. I do agree that each resort has something so special and unique to offer! We just watched the Princess and Frog (which my older son had to pretend not to be interested in) and this got us in the mood for French Quarter!

LudwigVonDrake
03-30-2010, 06:33 PM
POFQ gets my vote!! :wave:

magicalmom
03-31-2010, 05:25 PM
We love POR because of the lush plantings, the (free) boat from the two resorts to DTD, the Boatwright restaurant full of tools and a half-built boat, the piano man in the lobby in the evenings, the pool is great - but maybe the thing we like the most is the trundle beds at Riverside Alligator Bayou - each DD gets her own bed. I think it's the only place with three beds for a family of four unless you pop for a bunk room at AKL or a suite. You also would probably like Coronado Springs, a fabulous pool with waterslide, but not as lushly landscaped. No trundles there, though.

Donald's Girl
03-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Having stayed at all the Moderates, POFQ is our favorite now.
POR used to be but our last stay there was totally ruined by the Pop Warner cheerleaders that were staying there. The noise, vandalism, complete takeover of the pool area, food court, etc. really ruined it for us. Don't know if we would ever try it again when FQ is as nice as it is.

garymacd
04-01-2010, 10:26 AM
We have stayed at deluxes and stayed at moderates, you know what?

We prefer POFQ.

It really is an amazing resort for the size and the theme. We ate at Boatwrights a few years ago and enjoyed it.

It is all in your outlook. If you are determined to dislike it because it is not a deluxe, then you will dislike it.

Go in with attitude that it is a new adventure and make the best vacation you have ever had!

finaldynasty
04-02-2010, 11:23 PM
From your positive post...I can not wait to stay at the POR this summer! :mickey:

Gregandmel
04-03-2010, 08:58 AM
What a great thread!!! We stayed at Wilderness Lodge Oct. 2008 and fell in love with the resort. I just simply couldn't imagine EVER staying anywhere else. Finances took over though and we are staying at POFQ in 3 weeks. You guys are SO RIGHT that it is all about outlook! My husband is even the one who kept saying he was excited to try a different resort with all the different activities. It will be almost a whole new experience. Thanks for all the ++++ thoughts on this resort. Only 3 weeks to go! Yippee!!! :cloud9:

PetefromRI
04-03-2010, 09:39 AM
We'll be there 4 weeks from today then switching to the Poly for the second half of our trip.We love the FQ.It's probably our favorite moderate.It's funny how every trip is different depending on where we stay.We really like to mix it up and eventually stay at every resort but we always end up thinking about staying at the POFQ.You will love this resort.We've never had any problem with mousekeeping or transportation and the place has always been very clean.The only negative that I can think of is that the poolslide is more for little children.Teens would be bored to death with it.
Coronado Springs has the best pool complex in Disney World IMO but there's an awful lot of walking with little shade when it's hot.Still a great place though.
We also enjoy the CBR.Always clean rooms and wonderful quiet pools.The main pool is pretty cool and the foodcourt is very good.The Banana Cabana has the best bartenders in Disney World!
Like everone has said,enjoy the resort your staying at and try not to compare one with the other to much.Ever resort has it's own magic.Enjoy!

big blue and hairy
04-03-2010, 12:15 PM
We will also be staying at POFQ for the first time in August, and I am looking forward to it. I do know what to expect though, FQ is the only mod we haven't stayed in. The moderates are all very nice, you'll have a great time.

:sulley:

MIKESMOM
04-04-2010, 06:37 AM
How's the fishing at 4:00 p.m.?

I believe The Fishing Hole closes at 2:00 pm.