PDA

View Full Version : Carry-on bags in Overhead Bins stories

Granny Jill A
03-25-2010, 02:15 PM
I was just reading a story about some flight attendents who were fed up with folks carrying on super-size bags and then trying to stuff them into the overhead bins.

They said sometimes bags fell out and injured passengers. I had this happen to me once when somebody opened the bin and tried to get into their bag. Fortunately, it was just a cloth bag and it glanced off my shoulder before hitting the floor.

Any bag and bin stories to share?

Disney4us2
03-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Thank goodness I don't have any horror stories to share. I don't put my things up in the bins if I can help it. I just take enough for the under the seat storage.

I have seen other passengers trying to cram everything they own in those bins though.

jlmct52
03-25-2010, 04:44 PM
The worst I've ever seen was on a trip to Walt Disney World in 2008.

We were already seated on the plane and our one small carry-on was in the bin above our heads. A family of 8 boarded (a Mom, a Dad and their 6 kids....approximate ages 6 to 18). Each member of the family, even the 6 year old, was carrying a small suitcase large enough it should have been checked. They spent about 20 minutes going up and down the aisle trying to find a spot for them in the overhead bin.

Sure enough, when we landed and I saw them at the Disney Magical Express check-in my suspicions were confirmed. That was all the luggage they had.

It makes no sense to me why they went to all this trouble. The wonderful folks at Disney would have handled their bags for them and one bag would have handled anything they could have needed until their luggage reached their room.

I just don't get it.

green ranger
03-25-2010, 05:21 PM
Well now with all the fees for checking in luggage, people are trying to save money.

Disney Doll
03-25-2010, 05:44 PM
I've seen so many near misses that I won't allow my children to sit in an aisle seat. Some of these bags could cause serious injury.

jillluvsdisney
03-25-2010, 06:00 PM
That family of eight probably saved a ton of money by just doing carry on. It's aggravating they delayed the flight looking for overhead space. :thedolls: If more people put soft luggage under their seat and freed up the bins for wheeled carry ons this would not be just a bad problem.

Genie1953
03-25-2010, 08:55 PM
My 92 year old father in law has never checked baggage....I have seen that man pack 4-5 days worth of clothes in one little carryon and it is packed tight. Nothing to do with money it is just that he has never trusted checkin and prefers that his belongings be close at hand. He showed us his little suitcase he has packed for a trip next week and it is a bit heavy for him but still manageable. At least it is a true carry on size and if I know him he will put it right under his seat where he can get to it quickly. Today he was looking everywhere for the keys to it. I told him since he was doing carryon he really didn't need to lock it up...well he found his key and he is quite happy now that he can lock it up tight...as if anyone would be able to get to it anyway with him watching over it like a hawk! LOL

DVC2004
03-26-2010, 08:12 AM
I have only had to use it once on a business trip when I brought my laptop and a carryon. I hate it because I am petite and have a hard time getting things up or down from there. Also when theplane lands everyone practically knocks you over to get out.

However I was on a business trip to Pheonix and a guy came on with a huge duffel bag and it was packed full. I probably could have fit in it. It could have fit a small adult for sure. The flight attendant kept saying sir you have to check that but he ignored her, kept trying to jam it in. At one point he pulled it back down and it smacked the lady next to me in the back of the head. He didn't even know he hit her! Finally he jammed it up there but I cannot believe they did not force him to check it. It was way oversized.

MNNHFLTX
03-26-2010, 08:23 AM
I understand the flight attendants' frustration, but they can look to their own employers for helping to create this situation. Once all the airlines started charging baggage fees it was pretty much a given that the carry-on situation was going to be a problem.

I have seen overhead bins pop open during turbulence, but thankfully none of their contents every spilled out. The people sitting in the aisle seats are the ones at risk; I usually sit by the window.

c&d
03-26-2010, 09:35 AM
I think if the airlines followed their own rules it wouldn't be a problem. If the bag doesn't fit in that carry on bin thing near check-in then it gets checked. Simple problem solved.

VWL Mom
03-26-2010, 12:31 PM
I think if the airlines followed their own rules it wouldn't be a problem. If the bag doesn't fit in that carry on bin thing near check-in then it gets checked. Simple problem solved.

I totally agree. We are carry-on people but before each flight I dbl check the allowed dimensions on the airline site. Not all are the same. But I've seen some really large pieces and rarely have they been asked to try to fit it in the measuring bin.

Ian
03-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I mean ... come on ... the last people who should be complaing about this are the airline staff.

I actually get frustrated with them for allowing people on board the plane with ridiculously large carry-on items. There's nothing more annoying than getting on board and finding your entire overhead taken up by the guy who brought a 29" roll-aboard with him.

forever a child
03-26-2010, 05:48 PM
I totally agree. We are carry-on people but before each flight I dbl check the allowed dimensions on the airline site. Not all are the same. But I've seen some really large pieces and rarely have they been asked to try to fit it in the measuring bin.

We do the same thing! I measure everything before we pack and make sure we are ok.
Once, I had my luggage lost for 2 days while I was on a trip to Romania. Not fun! :cry: It wasn't like where I was at I could go and replace everything. You can only handle so much carry on, especially internationally where you are going to be moving from place to place to catch your connecting flights...so I packed most of my clothes in my checked baggage. Boy did I learn the hard way!:(

DiannaJ
03-26-2010, 06:14 PM
If the airlines want things to change then they need to stop charging these ridiculous fees for bags. Southwest airlines has the right idea however there seats are so narrow that there no way I could ride on there plan from California to Florida without needing a chiropractor when I landed. They created this problem and now are complaining about it well Duh!!! They are cracking down on alot of the airlines like Delta won't let you take on anymore than one personal item and one carry on when the flight is completely booked. Which I wish they would enforce all of the time. It's a real pain when you land and everyone if hitting you with all of there bags trying to get off the plane like it's on fire and the doors aren't even open yet..What's up with that..that's my pet peeve..:confused:

Seasonscraps
03-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I mean ... come on ... the last people who should be complaing about this are the airline staff.

I actually get frustrated with them for allowing people on board the plane with ridiculously large carry-on items. There's nothing more annoying than getting on board and finding your entire overhead taken up by the guy who brought a 29" roll-aboard with him.

Exactly!

I saw some guy carry a large carton with intentions to stowe it overhead. I could tell from half a plane back that there is no way this box would ever fit. But the employees at the gate let him by. The employees greeting passengers let him by. He then blocked the aisle for a few minutes trying to fit this box that was never going to fit. Then he had to go back and have it gate checked. If the person at the gate did their job, this wasted time would never have occurred.

What's ironic, on the same flight the girl boarding in front of me had a purse, travel bag and a small shopping bag from an airport shop with what looked like a magazine. The employee at the gate made her put the magazine in one of her other bags since only 2 bags per person are permitted.

Ian
03-27-2010, 01:30 PM
But the employees at the gate let him by. The employees greeting passengers let him by.You know why? Because they didn't feel like dealing with it. They know it will ultimately be the flight attendants problem, so what do they care? There's no upside for them in potentially angering a passenger, so why bother. They'll just make it someone else's problem and, in the process, delay the flight and all the other passengers on the plane who followed the rules.

It's no different than the Cast Members at WDW that are afraid to confront guests about smoking where they aren't supposed to or cutting in line ... half the time management ends up siding with the customer and you look bad, so I can't say as I blame them!

Seasonscraps
03-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Yep...that's exactly why. And it bugs me to no end that the people that follow the rules and do what they are supposed to are the ones that get burned. Same for the employees/CMs that are trying to enforce the rules of their company and getting hung out to dry - why should they bother?

Ian
03-27-2010, 02:39 PM
It really bugs me, too, actually. It gets to the point where you start to wonder why you bother following the rules since you inevitably end up getting inconvenienced by someone who doesn't.

Seasonscraps
03-27-2010, 03:07 PM
It really bugs me, too, actually. It gets to the point where you start to wonder why you bother following the rules since you inevitably end up getting inconvenienced by someone who doesn't.

I feel the same way sometimes but then remind myself that I don't want to be part of something I disdain.

Ed
03-29-2010, 08:43 AM
As others have pointed out, you can thank the airlines for this problem. In this economy, many families simply can barely afford the ticket prices, much less all the additional baggage charges and other fees that most airlines have instituted, and they are trying to skirt the rules to save money.

But another aspect of the problem is that all those passengers carrying all that baggage through the security checkpoints cause most of the checkpoint delays that nearly everybody complains about. And when one of those big overstuffed suitcases needs to be opened and inspected by TSA, there's yet another delay.

It used to be that your carryon bags were tested for size at the ticket counter when you checked in for your flight, and you were told in no uncertain terms how many and how big and how heavy you were allowed. But now with most airlines you can check in online or at an airport kiosk and never be seen by an airline employee until you arrive at the gate.

Granny Jill A
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=Ian;2033184]You know why? Because they didn't feel like dealing with it. They know it will ultimately be the flight attendants problem, so what do they care? There's no upside for them in potentially angering a passenger, so why bother. They'll just make it someone else's problem and, in the process, delay the flight and all the other passengers on the plane who followed the rules./QUOTE]

How about having the TSA people do another screen for too-large items? Everybody already hates the screening process, so one more thing wouldn't matter. They can put a neon-pink tag on the item that will alert the gate agents to check it. :D

pink
03-29-2010, 06:23 PM
My family and myself have had so many encounters with people who have or who have almost bashed us with their luggage getting it out of the overhead bins. People turn into a different person when the plane lands, they act like animals. I can't even count how many times we have been standing and waiting to get off the plane and then someone just rips their luggage out of the bin and it flies back and everyone has to duck and they don't even apoligize. :mickey:

MNNHFLTX
03-29-2010, 06:54 PM
How about having the TSA people do another screen for too-large items? Everybody already hates the screening process, so one more thing wouldn't matter. They can put a neon-pink tag on the item that will alert the gate agents to check it. :DIMO, the TSA should only have to focus on security and safety issues, not whether or not the size of a carry-on bag meets individual airline regulations. Airline personnel are the ones who should perform this task, prior to people getting on the aircraft. I think they are just loathe to do so.

Seasonscraps
03-29-2010, 06:55 PM
How about having the TSA people do another screen for too-large items? Everybody already hates the screening process, so one more thing wouldn't matter. They can put a neon-pink tag on the item that will alert the gate agents to check it. :D

They shouldn't even be able to get to the gate with a bag too big. Years ago the opening of bag scanners used to be the size of bags you are allowed to carry on. If you couldn't the bag through that opening you had to go back and check. They should go back that!

Genie1953
03-29-2010, 07:50 PM
They shouldn't even be able to get to the gate with a bag too big. Years ago the opening of bag scanners used to be the size of bags you are allowed to carry on. If you couldn't the bag through that opening you had to go back and check. They should go back that!

This sounds like a great idea!!

Ed
03-30-2010, 07:45 AM
IMO, the TSA should only have to focus on security and safety issues, not whether or not the size of a carry-on bag meets individual airline regulations. Airline personnel are the ones who should perform this task, prior to people getting on the aircraft. I think they are just loathe to do so.

:ditto:

Does anyone REALLY want to wait in airport lines even longer while TSA breaks out the tape measures to check each suspected oversize bag against that particular airline's size limits (which vary depending on the airline and type of aircraft) ? :nono:

It's an airline problem, and should be addressed by them, not by the government security agents.

Again, the specifications vary by airline and aircraft size. And the smaller openings would eliminate the ability to x-ray items such as strollers, creating yet another bottleneck while every stroller, etc. is manually inspected and tested. Picture the Orlando airport - - families visiting WDW, Universal, Seaworld with umpteen children - - how many strollers do you think come through the checkpoints on a daily basis? :eek:

Genie1953
03-30-2010, 07:47 PM
At one time years ago while going through the checkin and screening process I vividly remember seeing a wooden box at the security screening area.....if you had a carryon of any kind you had to put your carryon bag down in the box. The box must have been the the max size allowed for a carryon. Anyway If it didn't fit then you got no further and you were sent back to check your bag....AND...this occurred before your bag went on the belt to pass through the screening machine. It worked out pretty well as no time was wasted with screening the bag if it was over sized. I wish I could remember where that was. I haven't flown much but have to have been one of these airports...Kansas City, Denver, Dallas, Orlando, San Antonio, St. Louis, Pittsburg, and Manchester NH so would have to be one of those but I know they don't do it at Kansas City....at least I haven't seen it....but too bad they don't do this at all airports.

Seasonscraps
03-31-2010, 01:20 AM
:ditto:

Again, the specifications vary by airline and aircraft size. And the smaller openings would eliminate the ability to x-ray items such as strollers, creating yet another bottleneck while every stroller, etc. is manually inspected and tested. Picture the Orlando airport - - families visiting WDW, Universal, Seaworld with umpteen children - - how many strollers do you think come through the checkpoints on a daily basis? :eek:

There's bottlenecks everywhere in an airport. Personally, I'd rather have it on the front end when there's time to spare then sit on a plane watching some joker try to stow something that everyone knows won't fit while holding up boarding and possibly departure. But I didn't realize strollers went up on the belts. I don't travel with children so I never really paid attention to that. What do they do with larger/double strollers? Do they fit on the belts?

Ed
03-31-2010, 07:41 AM
What do they do with larger/double strollers? Do they fit on the belts?

Some do, and some don't. The ones that don't fit are manually inspected and tested.

AHOTE
04-01-2010, 11:54 PM
I recently flew Southwest out of Philly. A family of five were last to get on the plane. Each one of them was dragging a large wheeled suitcase down the aisle and each had a shoulder bag too. The attendants had already closed all the overhead bins so it made it even more difficult for them to find a place for their luggage. After a 10 minute search for suitable space turned up nothing the head attendant told the family point blank, you're delaying the departure of this flight. Your luggage must be put off the plane and it will be sent to you on a later flight. If this is not acceptable you may join your luggage for that same flight. A muffled cheer went up in the plane as the five decided a later flight might be a good idea.
The airlines have weight restrictions on luggage that they vigorously enforce why they can't manage to enforce size restrictions on carry-ons is beyond me.
I hope I get that same flight crew when I fly out again in October. :thumbsup:

crazypoohbear
04-02-2010, 12:27 PM
My 2 Cents.... for what it's worth
1) if the airline is going to allow passengers to bring on a carryon plue a purse/laptop etc. then it is the airlines responsibility to insure that there is enough room on the plane for each passenger to store such items.
2) airlines need to have a uniform size for carryons so when one purchases a carryon there is no discrepency on why airline A accepted it as carry on and airline B did not.
3) Airlines need to stop charging for bags, that would clear up much of the hassle. Again, across the board regulations, 2 bags per ticketed person on domestic flights, 3 bags international. NO exceptions. If you go over your limit you will be charged $100.00 Per bag.
4) you store your carryon over your seat only. I hate people trying to shove my stuff out of the way to make room for there stuff and they are sitting 10 rows away.
5) If you try to sneak a bigger or more carryon you will be fined!!!!!
CONSISTENCY is the answer.

badkitty
04-02-2010, 03:48 PM
The airlines constantly announce to put the roller board type bags up top and the smaller carry-ons under the seat in front of you. I have seen many instances where folks put up both bags. With the except of the people sitting in the bulkhead, these people need to share. It appears people don't want to have anything at their feet because of the limited space. I agree it is tight so then check one of the bags. Why should the people entering the plane near the end because of their zone assignment suffer because of selfishness? (Just to be clear, I am not talking about the family mentioned earlier with the large wheeled bags in tow. I mean the folks who follow the rules with "legal" size bags and still don't have space for their bags.)

c&d
04-06-2010, 04:10 PM
I read today that Spirit airlines is going to start charging $30/bag for carry on luggage, $45 if you pay at check in. You can carry on for free items that fit under your seat, purse, laptop or backpack. YIKES!!!

NewDVCowner
04-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I read today that Spirit airlines is going to start charging $30/bag for carry on luggage, $45 if you pay at check in. You can carry on for free items that fit under your seat, purse, laptop or backpack. YIKES!!!

The airlines just trying to get more money out of us. You can bet that the other airlines are watching this move carefully to see if they can get away with it, too.:mad:

Ed
04-07-2010, 09:01 AM
Spirit is somewhat infamous for that kind of stuff. They advertise some "specials" for $9 each way (that's not a misprint - nine dollars!) but by the time they add on all the taxes and fees, it ends up costing the same as most other airlines.

Here's the scoop on their latest little idea:

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Spirit Airlines will charge as much as $45 each way for a carry-on bag, adding a fee that bigger airlines have yet to try.

The charge will apply to bags in the overhead bin. Personal items that fit under the seat will still be free. Spirit said it will add measuring devices at the gates to determine which carry-ons are free and which ones will incur the charge.

The new charge is $45 if paid at the gate, and $30 if paid in advance, and begins Aug. 1. Spirit said on Tuesday that it reduced its lowest fares by $40 on average, so most customers won't really pay more to fly.

Spirit also charges to check luggage.

Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza said having fewer carry-on bags will help empty the plane faster. He said the idea is to get customers to pay for individual things they want, while keeping the base fare low.

"The beauty of it is they will do what they think is best for them and will now have the choice," he said.

Spirit is based in Miramar, Fla., and most of its routes run through Fort Lauderdale to Latin America.

Even though it's a minor player, bigger airlines are likely to watch to see whether customers are willing to pay for carry-ons. None of the major carriers made any immediate changes to their fees on Tuesday morning.

Fees for checking bags on the big U.S. carriers got started in 2008. At first, many travelers thought they wouldn't last. But now all the big airlines except Southwest and JetBlue charge to check a bag on domestic flights.

:rolleyes:

Scar
04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
The new charge is $45 if paid at the gate, and $30 if paid in advance, and begins Aug. 1. Spirit said on Tuesday that it reduced its lowest fares by $40 on average, so most customers won't really pay more to fly.If this is true (and of course there is probably no way of knowing if it is,) then I think it's a good idea. It will help solve some of the problems that have been mentioned in this thread.

Seasonscraps
04-07-2010, 09:26 AM
I saw this story about Spirit's carry-on charges on the news this morning and this thread was the first thing I thought of. At first I was shocked but when the newscaster was listing some fares - $45 to go to the Bahamas for example - it still didn't seem like a bad deal.

Although, on principle I disagree with being charged to take ONE BAG on a trip. Between checked bag fees which happened to coincide with carry-on liquid limits set by the TSA, preferred seat surcharges, booking through an agent fee and now this (which I feel is going to catch on) - it's getting to be too much.

Dragongirlx
04-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Whenever we fly my sister and I take one bag each which fits under the seat. I try not to put anything in the overhead bins because too many times I have gone to get something out of my bag to find it has been squashed behind someone elses huge bag.
I agree that airlines need to take more reponsibility in this area.

Ed
04-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza said having fewer carry-on bags will help empty the plane faster.

It sure will, because given Spirit's ridiculous fees there won't be many passengers aboard! :nono:

divinedi
04-09-2010, 03:27 PM
When they started charging for luggage, I decided that everything I needed would go in the checked luggage, and I would only bring on board those things that I wanted for on board, stuff to do, a snack, etc. etc., and it all fits under the seat. I find it much easier that way than trying to wrangle things in/out of the overheard bins, and now that they are starting to charge for that, so much the better that I don't use them!!
I do admit that it's annoying and sometimes comical waiting for other people to get stuff in and out of the bins....I get in sit down and I'm done!:thumbsup:

DonLefNY
04-14-2010, 12:21 PM
I only fly Southwest and they don't have a checked bag fee for 2 or less bags but have seen the large carry ons anyway. Once the FA tried to take a large duffle (it was at least 4' long) from a lady and got into a tug of war with her. The FA gave up. Second was a young lady with a large heavy bag (at least 26") who could not lift it. She asked another passenger to lift it for her and he replied "lady, if you can't lift it, it ain't carry on".

Granny Jill A
04-14-2010, 05:02 PM
I only fly Southwest and they don't have a checked bag fee for 2 or less bags but have seen the large carry ons anyway. Once the FA tried to take a large duffle (it was at least 4' long) from a lady and got into a tug of war with her. The FA gave up. Second was a young lady with a large heavy bag (at least 26") who could not lift it. She asked another passenger to lift it for her and he replied "lady, if you can't lift it, it ain't carry on".

I'm laughing myself right off the chair. Good answer.

princessgirls
04-15-2010, 11:37 AM
Flying isn't what it used to be....

What I don't get is how are people packing for an entire trip without any liquids... maybe I'm a little over the top, but I always bring sunscreen, and I have a "products bag" with my travel shampoos and stuff in it. I'm a Mom, so I bring swim ear and all kinds of stuff, just in case...Children's motrin, sudafed...it all has to be packed and checked-in.

I pack each child a small duffel bag carry on with a change of clothes, toothbrush, brush, bathing suit, blanket and favorite stuffed animal.

It is so annoying.... I find with travel as with life, that people refuse to listen, pay attention and follow the rules, and it ruins it for the rest of us!
Julie:mickey:

thrillme
04-15-2010, 01:01 PM
I can't figure out WHY the family of 5 in the previous post flying "Southwest" needed a large carryon bag "each"...Really now...what family needs 15 bags? (I figure 2 check-in each then 1 bag each and there were 5 people)...I don't think the Duggars pack that much.

I agree carry on's should be small. I usually carry a rolling backpack but I never fight over the overhead bins...I usually just put under the seat (it has the electronics...DVD player, Camera and DS). But...when you have a sizable family those checked luggage fees can just be CRAZY.

The airlines have done a lot of this to themselves. The flight needs to be the cost of the flight...2 bags per ticketed passender...Xtra bags I concur should cost. All these stupid fees should be outlawed. Thank goodness for Congress actually trying to do something by attempting to make it illegal for airlines to charge for carry ons...but..."good luck with that" it's a private business. I'm just getting tired of both Airlines and Hotels...saying their price is $150 but when the day is done it's $5 a day for electricity, $5 for security fee, $25 for parking, $30 resort fee, $30 checked luggage..