PDA

View Full Version : Universal Orlando Resort - Wizarding World Opens June 18 - Ride Details

Tink1
03-25-2010, 12:11 AM
New Harry Potter details: Universal Orlando announces June 18 as Wizarding World's opening date - Get more info right here on INTERCOT.com!

Ride Details, Photos & More! (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/beyond/universal/islandsofadventure/forbiddenjourney.asp)

NJGIRL
03-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the update! I can't wait to hear what the attraction is exactly. I'm hoping it's not another rollercoaster, but something more like the Spiderman attraction so even families with younger children can ride.

MidnTPK
03-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the update! I can't wait to hear what the attraction is exactly. I'm hoping it's not another rollercoaster, but something more like the Spiderman attraction so even families with younger children can ride.

There have been some leaks that say the ride will have a 48 inch minimum. I've also heard that the test seat out front has an over the shoulder type harness.

While all the rumors say it's not a coaster, it might be pretty close to a thrill ride. Think like a Dinosaur/Indian Jones at Disneyland, but with much more movement.

joonyer
03-25-2010, 02:50 PM
We'll be there on May 6-9, probably too early to get a chance at the Wizarding World of HP, but you never know, maybe we'll get lucky and get a chance a soft opening test ride.

Mfarquar
03-25-2010, 03:04 PM
There are a lot of indications that this will be a thrill ride of sorts. I will PM you a link to a picture of the ride system (found through permits placed by Universal). You can see a similar ride without any of the trimmings at Innoventions - its like one of those arm machines they use to help build cars - except this "arm" has seating on the end. They are capable of going upside down as well. Although I do not think they will want to make it too scary and alienate a good portion of their audience!

TiggeRia
03-25-2010, 08:34 PM
I am really excited to see this--I'll be visiting Universal in September. I am hoping that new attraction isn't too much of a thrill ride. I am terrified of roller coasters, which puts out the other two rides for me. I have to be able to ride something in WWoHP!!!

joelkfla
03-26-2010, 12:50 PM
I am hoping that new attraction isn't too much of a thrill ride.
If it is indeed a robotic arm ride, then they could easily program a tame version (as in "Mission: Space" Green or Orange) and make it selectable at boarding.

John
03-26-2010, 12:59 PM
I just posted details here on the site from our official Universal Media Source. Enjoy.

John
03-26-2010, 01:01 PM
BTW, to get an idea of the technology we think it's going to use, see pictures from the IAAPA 2004 show that I shot:

http://www.intercot.com/news/iaapa/2004/iaapa2.asp

Picture the top 2 - on a track of some sort. Don't know what type of track or if it will be more of a rolling cart - but the rumors are it will use this sort of robotic arm technology - we'll see!

Victor Kelly
03-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I will be down there on my honeymoon in September. We cannot wait to go to IOA to see this place.

Mfarquar
04-02-2010, 09:10 AM
As far as them programming 2 different versions, I find it unlikely. Universal prides itself on its more intense rides. In addition, they tend to cut corners wherever they can (there's a reason why they're just starting to sell green eggs & ham at Green Eggs & Ham again after a long hiatus!). If I had to bet on it, I would think they will view the old Unicorn family coaster (now named Flight of the Hippogriff something or other?) as the "tame" ride in the the Harry Potter Land.

However, as I mentioned before, I don't think they will go TOO crazy b/c of fear of alienating their audience. I imagine this will be something more along the lines of Spider Man and/or Mummy Returns (but more "virtual")...

The description of the ride promises an experience that has never been available before - I think it will be highly customized and will need to be just ONE version of the ride to handle the enormous crowds that are sure to gather.

We shall see when the soft openings commence sometime in May!

antngoof89
06-08-2010, 03:00 AM
I may be the only person that is going to say this, but I saw a video walk through of the soft opening of this park and honestly, I"m not impressed. The buildings were cool, seeing Hogwartz castle was cool, but the "Dragon Challenge" thing is cheesy. They just rethemed the entrance way of the dueling dragons. The idea is awesome, but from the video, it is as I've expected this whole time. A neat idea, done quickly to compete with Disney for the upcoming anniversary at the World. Though there is no promotion, it will still bring many fans.

Although, I do thank Universal for this, this ****** "land" has brought out some life in Disney Parks imagineering. Hopefully it will bring out some more life from disney and they'll rip out backlot tour, replace it with that monster's inc coaster we all wanna see and expand the parks all around in the next few years.

Anyway, that's my two cents on this Hogwartz land. Just like the movies, they should've left it in the book. Harry Potter was meant to be something in a Novel, not to be mimiced as a movie and theme park franchise.

joonyer
06-08-2010, 09:35 AM
. . . . .
Anyway, that's my two cents on this Hogwartz land. Just like the movies, they should've left it in the book. Harry Potter was meant to be something in a Novel, not to be mimiced as a movie and theme park franchise.

This argument could be used about many of the Disney attractions as well. If J. K. Rowling didn't think her books should be made into movies or theme park attractions she wouldn't have licensed them. Walt Disney made a large part of his fortune making movies about other peoples stories and books.