PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain

Karen5
03-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Is space mountain a scary or a very fun ride?
Thanks! :mickey:

mickclub1955
03-24-2010, 09:42 PM
Space Mountain is exilerating. It actually goes a lot slower than it feels. The darkness gives the ride its edge:thumbsup:

hauntedmansiongirl
03-24-2010, 10:01 PM
I am terrified of roller coasters- especially big drops and inverted loops- and I love Space Mountain. It is dark, but if you sit in any seat but the first, you can tell where you're going. Over all it is a pretty tame coaster with only 2 or 3 small hills (you barely get that "stomach drop" feeling). Definitely try it at least once!! :mickey:

javamama
03-24-2010, 11:46 PM
It's been a must for me since the first time I rode it back in 1979, it's a slower coaster that's in the dark. I haven't been on it since the the refurb, but it's a good ride to me. I always look forward to riding it. It's nothing like EE or RNR, but none the less I still like it.

Captain_Nemo
03-25-2010, 01:19 PM
its very fun. only one tiny drop near the end of the ride but nothing to big, you won't see it coming anyway. people I talk into going on that are scared of coasters usually get off and say "thats it? I thought it was going to be alot worse than that" followed by "lets do that again!" :mickey:

Ms. Mode
03-26-2010, 08:44 AM
SP is my favorite ride in MK. The fact that it's in the dark makes it seem like it's going really fast...that and the fans blowing the air around. :thumbsup:

RBrooksC
03-26-2010, 09:05 AM
If you are nervous about the ride and want to know what to expect, take a look at Primeval Whirl or any "wild mouse" type coaster.

No, Space Mountain isn't the traditional "wild mouse" coaster. It is a variation on the theme where the thrill isn't in big drops and speed but quick drops and turns.

The "plus" is the dark factor. The last time I was there in 2007 before the recent refurb, I thought it was darker than I had seen it. Now, I understand the leaking light problem has been reduced greatly. So, the "not knowing" has more of a scary effect than the actual coaster does.

I, in many ways, like this coaster more than RNRC, while I enjoy the speed and the inversions of RNRC, the theming of SM is fantastic. To look up at the ceiling and see the earth or other celestial bodies is a great joy for me.

c&d
03-26-2010, 09:16 AM
The first time I went on it I was a little nervous because it's in the dark. You can't see what's coming and prepare yourself for it. By the time the ride was over I was wondering what I was nervous about.

We've now ridden it so many times that we close our eyes on the ride and try to figure out which turn is next.

bruin1344
03-26-2010, 12:52 PM
fun, i dont consider it scary at all since Rockin Rollercoaster, Mission Space, and Expedition Everest are more intense.

Minnie97
03-26-2010, 06:42 PM
I haven't been on it since the refurb but it was awesome before:mickey:

Captain_Nemo
03-27-2010, 09:58 AM
no more glow strips on the side of the cars :(

vws_and_disney
03-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I think I read somewhere that the top speed is only 26mph. It is worth doing multiple times.

Imagineer1981
03-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Space goes 27.5 mph on average, but if its really really weighted down it can reach in the low 30s. Also "Alpha" side is 10 ft longer :)