PDA

View Full Version : Dine w/Imagineer?

DisneyFr33k
03-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Sorry for all the questions. My husband and son are serious artists and I want to surprise them with this during our next trip.

Anyone done this?
How was it?
Is there a benefit over doing dinner over lunch?
What is discussed with the imagineer?
When can you book it - 60 or 180 days out?
Is it hard to get reservations?
How much does it cost? We're a family of 4 with kids over 10.

Thanks!

VWL Mom
03-23-2010, 10:43 AM
DH and I did the lunch in November and really enjoyed it. I think I booked at 90 days which was the same as dining then and the cost was around $65 per person plus gratuities.

Our imagineer had worked originally at MK and then DHS. He discussed some behind the scenes past and present but kept the future secret. Found out a lot about why MK lands are set up they way they are, details to buildings, etc.

Our was a group of 7, great conversation. You are seated in a private room with your personal waiter. Full meal is served (appetizer, soup,choice of 3 entrees, & desert) It lasted close to 3 hours. Enjoyed it very much.

Strmchsr
03-23-2010, 11:41 AM
It's $60.99 per person. Reservations can be made 90 days out. Lunch is at the Brown Derby in DHS. Food was a little "froo-froo" for my taste, but it was still an excellent experience. You basically get 2-3 hours one-on-one with an Imagineer. They come from different departments, so what you talk about will vary depending on who you get, but the Imagineers are always glad to answer questions on a variety of subjects. The guide says it's not "recommended" for children under 14 and I would say that's pretty accurate. I took my DS at 8 and, though he enjoyed it, the conversation was really geared towards, and dominated by, adults. The Imagineer we had was wonderful in engaging my son, but he had to tend to the whole party.

Because this is only done once a week, reservations can be a little difficult to get, but not impossible. Since so many folks are on the DDP and this is a large OOP expense a lot of families skip it.

It was a fantastic experience. If you're interested in Imagineering it's well worth it. If you're just interested in "behind the scenes" stuff, doing one of the tours might be better.

DisneyFr33k
03-23-2010, 12:41 PM
I read on another site that lunch is served 3 times a week and dinner only once?

Also, if we can make regular ADR's at 180, can we make this one at 180 too?

Strmchsr
03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
I read on another site that lunch is served 3 times a week and dinner only once?

Also, if we can make regular ADR's at 180, can we make this one at 180 too?

You know, it's changed so many times I can't say what it is right now. For a while it was just once a week, before that it was twice a week, so I don't know. I would say contact Disney Dining and they can tell you for sure.

Also, previously it was a 90 day reservation like all the other special events. If it's gone to 180 days, that would be new, too. The 90 day rule was in place even when ADRs were at 180 days last time.

Oh, and I said it's a "one-on-one" experience with an Imagineer...it's actually more like 10-15 on one, depending on your group size, but it's still good communication.

Diznee4Me
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
I can't add too much other than to say I have done it four times and each time was a wonderful experience. :thumbsup:

renecat
03-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Sorry for all the questions. My husband and son are serious artists and I want to surprise them with this during our next trip.

Anyone done this?
How was it?
Is there a benefit over doing dinner over lunch?
What is discussed with the imagineer?
When can you book it - 60 or 180 days out?
Is it hard to get reservations?
How much does it cost? We're a family of 4 with kids over 10.

Thanks!

Thanks for the great questions. I've been to the world more times then I can count. I have done several tours at MK and Epcot, but I guess I never heard of this before. Something new for us to do when we go.

ElenitaB
03-24-2010, 09:04 PM
In its current incarnation, up to 8 guests may dine with an imagineer at the Brown Derby. Researching this a few weeks ago for our upcoming trip (I'm looking for special things to celebrate my son's graduation from middle school), I found out that you may book this ADR 180 days out. It costs $60.99 for guests 10 and older; $34.99 for guests 3 to 9.

ransam
03-24-2010, 10:16 PM
If you love disney, you can't miss this opportunity.
I've done it twice, and will do it anytime i go back....we've always done the lunch.
It's very laid back...you go to the brown derby and get a name tag. They take you around the resturant, telling you the back story of the brown derby. then they take you to a private room. everyone has an individual menu with your name on it, and the name of the inagineer your dining with. I've had one w/ the art director of MK and the other lunch was actually w/ two imagineers...the food is excellent. you have a soup/cobb salad, then choice of entree. for desert they have a couple different things, but i suggest the grapefruit cake. It's just excellent.
when we went the first time, we got our menus to keep...the second time, they took our menus, then came back and added some pictures to it of us having dinner which is kind of cool.
during the dinner, it lasts about 2 1/2 - 3 hours, it's very laid back. YOu can ask the imagineer anything you want, but they won't necessarily answer everything... sometimes they will tell you that they just can't answer...you will get so much information. These people love Disney and you can see their passion. one of them described his office as the office Tom Hanks had in the movie Big that is just filled w/ toys and games. he has one of the cars from the toad ride in the corner...and lots of signs from other closed attractions. He said that when a ride closes they often grab stuff to put in their office. It was just a nice story...
the second imagineer said his dad always bugs him when he goes home.."you still playing at Disney? when you gonna get a real job"...i think he was kidding, but the way he told it was very funny.
as it ends, you are given a plate that he signs and puts some disney quote on it....then you can take pics w/ them if you want....
so yea, you should do it....
It will be the highlight of your trip.