PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of French Quarter versus Coronado

GabbyMitch
03-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm taking my youngest brother to Disney for his first time in August. It will be me, my two small children and him. I wanted to stay at Coronado Springs due to the new rooms and queen beds. We have stayed there before and my daughter lived the sand box near the main pool.

Here is the thing. I can get a discounted room at French Quarter for the same dates for about $250 less. I don't know much about this resort so i'm just wondering what it's like, if it's as nice, what the pool area is like, etc. Any info is greatly appreciated!

I think we will stay at FQ for sure, as that is quite a bit of money to save, but I just like to know what I'm getting into and I want my brother's first trip to be great! Thanks!

faline
03-22-2010, 03:08 PM
I've stayed at both resorts. Until I stayed at French Quarter last year, I would have said my favorite moderate is Coronado Springs - now I'm torn between the two!

They are very different in style and presentation. Coronado definitely has more of the features of a deluxe but is far more spread out. French Quarter is very charming and quite compact. We liked it well enough that we are returning there this year!

Lisaj13
03-22-2010, 03:15 PM
We really enjoyed the French Quarter. My youngest daughter would have lived in the pool given the chance. King Trident is riding a sea serpent and the slide into the pool is the serpent's tongue.

The resort is compact so wherever your room is you're close to the bus stop, food court, pool, hot tub, etc.

While the resort sometimes shares a bus with POR, at the FQ you're the first on and the first off. There is also a boat to Downtown Disney and POR, which we really enjoyed.

There isn't a sitdown restaurant here, but you're close to Boatwright's at POR and we found that there was enough variety in the food court for us. And they have beignets!

I'm sure you'll have great time!

garymacd
03-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Love French Quarter!
Love the Beignets!
Love the pool!
Love the small size of the resort and everything within easy walking distance.
Love the fact that you will save $250/night!
The only drawback is the double beds. But I think you can make it work.

We took an air mattress and a set of sheets with us so we weren't quite so crowded.

Scar
03-22-2010, 03:45 PM
I've stayed at both resorts. Until I stayed at French Quarter last year, I would have said my favorite moderate is Coronado Springs - now I'm torn between the two!:ditto: Except in reverse order. I think I would give a slight edge to Coronado because I thought the bus system was great, but for a $250 savings, it's a no brainer.

iloveokw
03-22-2010, 04:06 PM
When DD was small she LOVED the pool at the FQ. Like that it is a compact resort, can do pool, etc. at RS. The two best things are the boat to Downtown Disney and Yehaa Bob over at The River Roost in RS.

kakn7294
03-22-2010, 04:19 PM
We loved FQ and didn't like CSR (but it was before the refurb). POFQ is smaller, easier to navigate, and seemed more Disney-like. CSR is newly refurbed, has queen beds instead of doubles, and had some of the best bus service we've ever experienced. CSR seemed more business-like but because of the convention resort status, has more ammentities that may appeal to some. Both resorts were pretty quiet. We had some housekeeping issues with CSR that we've never experienced at any other Disney resort - nothing major but very annoying.

MMFreak
03-22-2010, 04:22 PM
We loved this resort but prefer CS.

I will have to disagree with the below post. Often times on our trip last year the bus driver would go an alternate route and we were often last stop to be dropped off.

While the resort sometimes shares a bus with POR, at the FQ you're the first on and the first off.

Gaz10
03-22-2010, 04:36 PM
Never stayed at POFQ but have walked round when we have stayed at Riverside.Im sorry but I just dont like those 3 storey buildings,and I dont like the Casitas block either,but as a resort CS wins easy .We have stayed 3 times and if someone offered a choice between POFQ and CS, even with 250 off,I would chose the Cabanas at CS every time.
Oh I nearly forgot,those refurb rooms are really nice and worth the extra if nothings been updated at POFQ to bring their rooms upto the same standard.

tinksmom02
03-22-2010, 04:43 PM
We've stayed at both but prefer FQ. As others have said, it's smaller and seems quieter. We love the boat to DTD and heading to POR to see Bob playing piano. I don't recall a sandbox-area like at CSR, but the pool is nice, and you have the added bonus of being able to use POR's, as well (older kids might find this slide more exciting). There is a playground near the pool.

DH was at CSR for a conference not too long ago and said the updates are really nice (we stayed there in 2004). However, if you've got a discount for POFQ, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there instead of CSR.

vicster
03-22-2010, 04:50 PM
We loved FQ! I love that it's a smaller resort and I love the streets of N.O. Also enjoyed the boat ride back from the Marketplace.

retiredfigment
03-22-2010, 06:34 PM
May be in the minority, but stayed at CS and did not like it at all, except for the food court. It was too spread out, not enough trees, horrible bus service. Might have improved, but I won't be chancing it. Haven't stayed at FQ but have stayed at POR and really liked it. Always smelled great in the morning with the trees, convenient to bus stops, food court was good and I really liked the quiet pools that were everywhere. I am pretty sure it is the same set up at FQ.

buzz2001
03-23-2010, 05:35 AM
We love CSR! Queen beds, newly renovated rooms and some deluxe amenities you won't find at the other mods. :thumbsup:

Melanie
03-23-2010, 06:13 AM
Having stayed at both recently, I vote for CSR hands down. Everything just seemed better.

clausjo
03-23-2010, 08:34 AM
My vote has to be for Port Orleans. I've never stayed at the FQ but have stayed a few times at Riverside and really enjoyed it. CS is too spread out for my family and we're not very fond of the food court. The Port Orleans resorts have more of a tranquil feel to them and are just beautiful. We're going in August and plan on visiting the FQ for the beignets!

tmosier
03-23-2010, 10:21 AM
We took an air mattress and a set of sheets with us so we weren't quite so crowded.

Thank you for posting that! I was wondering about doing the same thing. What size air mattress did you bring? Was there enough room for it?

ljgirl
03-23-2010, 10:52 AM
We just got back from POFQ yesterday. We usually stay at the POR but decided to try something different this time. I loved the size of this resort. We were in building 4 and were close to the food court, the pool and the bus stop. This resort is so much more quaint because of the small size.

The beds are doubles so we asked for a roll away bed for the week for one of the kids. (There were 4 of us). I think the cost was about $18/night for the roll away. Worth every penny to get a good night's rest!!

We will stay there until I get up the nerve to spring for The Wildrness Lodge! Everytime I go to price out the trip, I just can't justify spending the extra money. I know you get more at the WL but I don't know if we would utilize it since we spend most of the time in the parks!

Bass T-bone
03-23-2010, 11:32 AM
We have stayed in both, recently at the French Quarter back in January of this year.

I would have to go with the French Quarter...

Coronado is too spread out. Depending on where your room is, it can take quite a hike to get to he main building. I think that is one of the positive attributes for the French Quarter. It's very convenient to get to everything because of the properties smaller size. Another consideration is that the Coronado is a convention resort. You may not want to put up with all the business people.

tnpoohbear
03-23-2010, 12:55 PM
We just came back on Saturday from five nights at POFQ and we loved it! My DD is 19 so I don't have small children anymore but it is a great resort for small children. They have a large dragon pool that has slides for kids. The whole resort is so quaint and lovely. We were in building 3. They have a wonderful food court and the whole resort is small and no matter what building you are in you are close to transporation and the food court. I have never stayed at Coronado but I would love to stay at FQ again. The castmembers there were wonderful! It was a great trip.

ThanxForNoticin
03-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Coronado would easily be our choice here - except maybe for the $250!!

garymacd
03-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Thank you for posting that! I was wondering about doing the same thing. What size air mattress did you bring? Was there enough room for it?

It was a single. We took a mattress pad and sheets, then used the spare blankets and pillows in the room for the bed.

We had plenty of room by rearranging the table and chairs. I can't remember for certain, but I think we just pushed it under the bed during the day.