PDA

View Full Version : Eating out alone

TikiGoddess
03-21-2010, 04:54 PM
How does everyone feel about eating out alone? I was listening to a WDW podcast and they were talking about people feeling weird going to table service restaurants by themselves.

I've never had that problem... I'll go to any type of restaurant -- whether it be WDW or not -- and not feel self conscious. I actually like spending time alone, especially after a long week of dealing with family and work.

Thoughts?
Kathy

faline
03-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Although I'm usually with others at Disney World, I often dine alone and feel fine about it!

pianobabe
03-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Eating out by myself is one of my favorite things to do. I always have my book to read and I just sit there eating and enjoying my alone time. It is something I treasure.

c&d
03-22-2010, 09:56 AM
The hardest part for me is walking in the door. Once I'm seated I'm fine.

I have to travel to Hawaii on business once and I was seated at a really nice table and really enjoyed just people watching and being alone.

Ed
03-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Personally, I hate it. :(

When I'm alone, I'm much more likely to eat at a counter service fast-food joint or just snack on the run.

diz_girl
03-22-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't have a problem with this at all, especially after making a few solo business trips. Women seem to have more of a problem with this than men. The stigma that if you were eating alone then you were obviously single, still exists to some degree. But I love to eat out alone, especially since becoming a mother. Not that I don't love my son, but I need some alone time and I love to be able to eat a meal in peace. If I see seomeone eating alone, I think that they are either on their way to/from somewhere or on a business trip or are just enjoying a meal alone.

Anyway, if someone is really judging you for eating alone, then they probably are very insecure about eating alone themselves.

But I don't think that I've ever dined alone at WDW, since I'm always with family. But if I did, I would be fine with it, especially since there are many people traveling on business at the multiple WDW convention centers.

DizneyRox
03-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Often the company is better when you're solo... I wouldn't give it a second though.

Dragongirlx
03-22-2010, 11:20 AM
I don't mind eating alone and have done it lots of times though never at disney world. As long as I have a book with me I am happy

meldan98
03-22-2010, 03:11 PM
I actually really enjoy doing things by myself, I always have. I love my family and spending time with friends, but there are times when I just need some "me" time. When I lived by myself after college, I would escape to the mall, have dinner and go to a movie. I loved having that down time to get away from everything and everybody. A few years ago, I had to travel quite a bit for my job and would be in one location for 2-3 weeks. I found that while many times I would prefer to sit by myself at a table. When I was in the south, I always got really weird responses. There would be times where I would sit at the bar and eat my dinner, so I could chat with the staff. I got to meet some really interesting people. One bartender I met had actually just returned from filming a Judge Judy episode. When I traveled to WA, I was always seated in the bar by the host. I was actually never given an option to sit at a regular table.

SBETigg
03-22-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm really fond of my own company, but I don't eat out alone. I've only done takeout on my own. It's just nicer to be at home all comfortable when I'm on my own. I don't travel to places like WDW solo. (so far, not ruling it out, just prefer to have company there).

murphy1
03-22-2010, 03:53 PM
As one who has had to travel in the past for a lot of jobs, this never was an issue. I am happy with a group of just me.

Scar
03-22-2010, 04:00 PM
There would be times where I would sit at the bar and eat my dinner, so I could chat with the staff.This is what I do and have never felt uncomfortable. Watch TV is there is one, chat with the bardender if they're not too busy, the patron next to you, or just read a newspaper or book. I can't remember ever sitting at a table alone. :unsure:

kakn7294
03-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't ever eat alone but that doesn't mean I would have a problem with it. It simply means that I don't get much "alone time". I think that once in a while, it would be enjoyable!

MNNHFLTX
03-22-2010, 04:19 PM
It hasn't happened very often, but I don't mind eating alone at a restaurant at all.

Georgesgirl1
03-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I used to be really weird about not doing anything by myself. I wouldn't even go to the grocery store to pick up milk on my own. Once I graduated from college though, I got over it. Now I truly enjoy being by myself. I don't at all mind going out to eat and bringing a good book to read at the table.

citizensnoopy
03-22-2010, 06:52 PM
I actually really enjoy doing things by myself, I always have. I love my family and spending time with friends, but there are times when I just need some "me" time. When I lived by myself after college, I would escape to the mall, have dinner and go to a movie. I loved having that down time to get away from everything and everybody.

This sounds like me to a T. I enjoy spending time with my friends and family, but I require a lot of personal time. I frequently go to the movies or out to dinner alone, and I love it. This isn't to say that I don't also enjoy doing these activities with friends and family, but sometimes my favorite company is myself. :)

Scar
03-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Watch TV is there is one, chat with the bardender Sorry, I just recently started to need reading glasses and I'm just not in the habit of using them all the time yet. :look::old:

BrerGnat
03-23-2010, 03:52 PM
I think people who don't like eating alone are just more social than those who don't have a problem with it. Or, more co-dependent, I guess.

I have NO issue with it, but I'm one of the few people I know (including my DH) that feels that way.

I've even taken a solo trip to WDW and ate alone for FOUR DAYS. Gasp!!! ;) I actually love to eat in peace. What I don't "get" is talking and socializing while eating. I don't like having distractions while I eat. I'll socialize over drinks, but when I'm eating, I want to be eating!

As a mom of special needs kids, I NEVER actually get to enjoy any of the meals I eat at home (always eating standing up at the counter or getting up several times during the meal to get things for the kids). When we go out as a family, I'm more focused on keeping the kids entertained and well behaved, and I end up inhaling my food in about 5 min before we leave.

I take EVERY chance I can get to go out to eat alone!

Ian
03-23-2010, 03:57 PM
Personally, I hate it. :(

When I'm alone, I'm much more likely to eat at a counter service fast-food joint or just snack on the run.:ditto:

I don't know why, but I'm not very comfortable eating out by myself.

Dznygrl79
03-24-2010, 09:02 AM
I am a social butterfly but after my divorce I prefer my own company. The first trip I took after was to Disney and I thought wow sitting by myself weird but I found I had a wonderful time (and I chatted up the waiter!). Since I have gone out by myself a lot. I think it has its advantages I can be as leisurly as I want, I don't bring a book though I like that idea...I usually use the time after ordering before the food arrives to review photos or check my messages (its not rude if you don't have company imho). Enjoy it, alone time is golden time!

Boojum
03-29-2010, 11:19 PM
I've never eaten alone at WDW, because I'm always on family vacations. However, I don't think I'd mind doing it. I'd enjoy people watching and soaking up the atmosphere. I also enjoy talking to Castmembers who work in the restaurants.

In "real life?" I eat by myself all the time. In fact, I enjoy it--especially when on my lunch break from work. I get a table or booth off in a corner, eat my lunch, and read a good book. Doing this gives my brains and my mouth some downtime, and recharges me for the rest of the day.

B.R. Guest
03-30-2010, 08:16 PM
Although I usually eat with the DW and our DDs, I like to eat by myself once in awhile. I take my Kindle, read, and enjoy the peace and quiet. Every night? No. Once every 2-3 weeks? Yep.

brownie
03-31-2010, 10:01 AM
I've eaten at coney style and similar restaurants by myself, but not at nicer places. I think it wouldn't matter one way or the other to me at Walt Disney World, though. Table service or counter service wouldn't be a consideration if I was dining alone.

Dizneyana
04-01-2010, 03:51 PM
:ditto:

I don't know why, but I'm not very comfortable eating out by myself.

Add me to this club... :ditto: :ditto:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-03-2010, 10:31 PM
When I worked for a hotel and had to travel to our sister properties, I'd get room service. But it gets boring being stuck in a room by yourself so I started eating in the restaurant and bringing a book with me. After the first couple of times, it was no big deal. But I haven't done it in a long time so I'd probably have to get used to it all over again.
I don't think you'd attract much attention eating alone in WDW or even on a cruise ship. Especially since a lot of people on a cruise ship may end up eating alone due to their travel companions getting ill. I've seen that happen a lot.

Dopey's Girl
04-10-2010, 09:23 PM
I like eating alone. I'm heading to WDW on a solo trip (TWO MORE WEEKS!!!) and I can't wait to eat alone. I get to eat when, and what I want..that's just good fun!

I'm single and not dating any one right now, so I do lots on my own. I absolutely love going to movies alone! In fact when I do go with someone, most often I'm annoyed that they are there with me. I'm strange like that!