PDA

View Full Version : Water Fountains in the Parks?

forever a child
03-21-2010, 12:35 PM
I have read that there are water fountains in the park, is this correct? If so, why would so many people buy a $2.50 bottle of water? :(

Are the fountains easy to find and are they functioning? I can only remember one of them I used close to restrooms by ToT. Would they be on park maps?

Anyone have thoughts on fountains vs. bottled water?:mickey:

MegaDisney
03-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Tap water tastes gross.

hubbyofadisneyholic
03-21-2010, 01:15 PM
I guess it depends on what you are used to.
Whenever this question pops up there are people that say the water from the fountains is just fine.

I agree with MegaDisney...:ack::ack::ack:

seanyred
03-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Florida Water doesn't bother me. So often we refill water bottles while at the parks. The only thing is some fountains have really cold water and others have warm/room temperature water.

Another option is at any counter service location you can ask for a cup of ice water. The only thing that varies here is what the cast member uses either a small child's cup or the med/large fountain drink cups.

forever a child
03-21-2010, 01:42 PM
LOL, Well I agree that not all water tastes great.;) However, I work for a non-profit that supplies clean drinking water purification systems to countries that are dying from bacteria and parasites in their drinking water (we just recently returned from Haiti).

For those that are interested in the "bottled water industry" I suggest you watch a movie called "Flow" you might learn that bottled water has it's own health issues and there is a fight currently going on for ownership of the world's drinking water. I come from the Michigan so the Great Lakes is very important to me! So I will "suffer" with gross tasting water occasionally knowing that at least I have clean drinking water available.

I will have a bottled water bottle, but since I only want to carry one bottle around, I will not have a problem in refilling it from water fountains or at counter service locations if it is available!:mickey:

joonyer
03-21-2010, 05:02 PM
There's nothing "wrong" with the the water from the fountains at WDW, except:

1. The municipal water in Central Florida, as in many other places in the the south, has a higher sulfur content, so it has a distinctive odor and taste. and
2. Most of the fountains at MK especially are not very cold. When I'm hot, I like my drinking water to be ice cold. It's hard to find a fountain at WDW with ice cold water.

But you don't have to buy bottled water. You can get a cup of ice water at any restaurant or counter service spot for free. It's just not advertised. (the colder the water, the less noticeable the sulfur smell & taste)

sainter
03-21-2010, 05:05 PM
If you don't like the taste of the water, you can use a bottle filter. Brita used to make one called "Fill and go" filters. They are not available in the store anymore, but I have bought them on ebay. One filter is good for over 1000 20 oz bottles! OR you can always add the little single serve packets of flavoring or teas to a bottle.

mom2morgan
03-21-2010, 06:33 PM
LOL, Well I agree that not all water tastes great.;) However, I work for a non-profit that supplies clean drinking water purification systems to countries that are dying from bacteria and parasites in their drinking water (we just recently returned from Haiti).

Well THAT sure puts the whole "Gross Orlando Water" in perspective!!
I do have major issues with bottled water - but I admit I buy it occasionally when there is nothing else handy. In WDW I carry packets of Crystal Light if I need to mask the taste of the water.

PETE FROM NYC
03-21-2010, 11:02 PM
What we found out last September was that Epcot was the only theme park with cold fountains.
BTW, the fountains in the lobby of Pop were cold too.
DW and I are both ECV users, so we each had a 1/2 gallon insulated jug filled with either ice water or a cold drink riding in the basket.
That worked out great and saved money.

Seasonscraps
03-21-2010, 11:54 PM
For me it's a taste preference - I like ice cold water without flavoring to disguise the nasty taste I experience when I drink FL tap water.

joelkfla
03-22-2010, 12:19 AM
To add to the quick serve option:

More and more quick serve locations are getting self-serve beverage bars. You only have to ask for a water cup or BYOB, and then help yourself to all the ice and water you can drink.

DizneyRox
03-22-2010, 07:52 AM
As with most others, Florida tap water doesn't agree with me. If it doesn't come out of a bottle in Florida, I try not to drink it. This includes the coffee and fountain soda. Even the OJ and other reconstituted drinks. The ice is enough to makle me gag at times...

dnickels
03-22-2010, 08:43 AM

For those that are interested in the "bottled water industry" I suggest you watch a movie called "Flow" you might learn that bottled water has it's own health issues and there is a fight currently going on for ownership of the world's drinking water. I come from the Michigan so the Great Lakes is very important to me! So I will "suffer" with gross tasting water occasionally knowing that at least I have clean drinking water available.

I will have a bottled water bottle, but since I only want to carry one bottle around, I will not have a problem in refilling it from water fountains or at counter service locations if it is available!:mickey:

Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks drinking bottled water is for the birds! :thumbsup: The last info I saw on the US is that less than 20% of the bottles from bottled water in the US gets recycled. 80% of 28 BILLION single serving bottles is a lot of trash I'm happy to have no part in contributing to. Even in Disney I see a lot of those bottles in trash cans or getting vacuumed up at the end of the night. Dollars to donuts says Disney doesn't sort through that to pull the recyclable stuff out of the trash.

There are plenty of drinking fountains around the parks so you shouldn't have a problem. I'm not picky, I drink out of streams and rivers all the time when I'm camping (after treating for microorganisms) and I don't even notice the sulfur smell some people mention in Florida water.

poeticeclipse
03-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I don't like waste. If i'm on the DDP and i'm at a CS restaurant I get a bottle of water and then reuse that bottle for the rest of the day. When I get back to my resort at the end of the night I toss the bottle in the recycle bin.

We refill our water bottles at the drinking fountains. Staying hydrated is far more important to us than enjoying the taste of our water. I do have to say that Epcot has the best fountain water. MK is definitely the warmest. I have a hard time drinking it if it's warm. I'll just poor the warm stuff on the back of my legs and neck if I get hot. Haha!

DisneyFr33k
03-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Tap water tastes gross.

:ditto: And, it's warm gross water. :sick:

divinedi
03-22-2010, 12:00 PM
I also don't buy single serving water bottles any longer, unless there really is no alternative. I have reusable water bottles at home that I fill up before I leave home and drink that when I'm out. The very odd time that I do buy bottled water, I make a point of making sure it goes in the recycling, even if I have to bring it home to do so. On that note, I was very concerned and surprised that DW didn't have more recycling bins around.....so when we took the Keys to the Kingdom tour Jan. 2009, I asked our guide about this very thing. She explained to us, and I certainly hope that this is the truth, that they don't bother, because of the fact that a lot of people will just throw everything in the trash and don't use the recycling bins, but that all trash is sorted through and anything recyclable does indeed get recycled! It certainly made me feel better, but I will still walk out of my way to find a recycle bin!!

DizneyRox
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Recycling is big business, I'm sure Disney does this, even if it's after the fact. There are probably different costs associated with recylcable vs non recyclable waste, and Disney only wants to pay what it needs to.

Scar
03-22-2010, 01:52 PM
When I'm hot, I like my drinking water to be ice cold.Not me. I got a headache just reading that.

Mitzie
03-22-2010, 02:35 PM
As a cost cutting measure we purchased an aluminum/stainless bottle from the Disney store(it was cute with Mickeys all over it) and fill it up at the drinking fountains. It became a fun thing with the kids. Whoever saw a fountain would go and fill the bottle. It wasn't always that cold but when you are thirsty- hey you take what you can get.

Julie_Mouse
03-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Agreed. Fountain water is usually warm (I don't specifically remember cold water at Epcot, but I will take your word for it :mickey:). But like Scar, I also get really bad brain-freeze from guzzling cold water so using the water fountains doesn't bother me too much :)

eeyorepoohfan
03-22-2010, 05:17 PM
I am a huge fan of taking a Camelback, or similar product. It's basically a small backpack (sizes vary from small mini backpacks to full on backpacks), with a bladder that fits inside. Ours is a midsize pack that has a bladder inside that holds at least 100 ozs of water. We fill the bladder completely with ice at our hotel in the morning with a little bit of tap water. As the day goes on, the ice melts and makes more water. Plus, the ice keeps the water cold almost all day. :fan: Yes, the pack will start off heavier in the morning. But as the day goes on it gets lighter. :thumbsup: We would refill the ice and water when we would go back hotel in the afternoon for a break too. Our Camelback also has pockets and zippers. This allows us to put extra essentials in it for the day such as snacks, tissues, sanitizing wipes, camera, cell phone, etc. So I figure that most people carry a small backpack for these "extra" items or rent a locker. But we find it easier to carry our cold water and extras with us all day. We are able to take it on all the rides with us, as we can easily fit it into the pouch on the rides or loop in between our feet. Having the Camelback also reminds us to drink water throughout the day, ensuring we don't get dehydrated! At home we use our Camelbacks for hiking and bike riding, even for long car rides! A great investment, especially for those who go to the parks a lot!!!!:mickey:

joonyer
03-22-2010, 10:38 PM
"When I'm hot, I like my drinking water to be ice cold."

Not me. I got a headache just reading that.

BRAIN FREEZE! :eek: Yikes!

To avoid, take small sips, not big gulps.:whew:

Tink#64
03-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Forever a child, also being used to drinking the Louisville city water, and not being overly picky about water, I honestly don't find the water at WDW gross! DH & I always carry insulated water bottles that we fill & pop into the cooler or mini fridge to chill overnight & then we refill as needed in the parks! Trying to remember, but it seems to me, that there is a water fountain in the same local as each restroom! Sometimes for variety, we use some of the bottle water drink mixes, and yes some of the fountains' water is colder than others. We only buy drinks at mealtimes, or maybe a coke with snack for night time events. I think when we're really thirsty, water is alot more hydrating than soft drinks!

forever a child
03-23-2010, 06:20 AM
Forever a child, also being used to drinking the Louisville city water, and not being overly picky about water, I honestly don't find the water at WDW gross! Just an FYI....

Did you know that Louisville has some of the cleanest drinking water in the world? Yep, other places come to see what our city does on Reservoir Rd. I still use a Brita filter for the taste, LOL. Actually, I have a meeting this morning with the CEO for Louisville Water Co....so I guess I should get off Intercot:(

Didnt know this tread was going to start such a debate between bottle vs. not using bottle water, and Cold vs. not cold drinking water in the heat! LOL.

Still don't know if water fountains are displayed on any park maps or park signs:D

beksy
03-23-2010, 10:41 AM
I openly admit that I am a water snob and only drink filtered or bottled water, even at home. So I do have a water bottle with a filter that I take with me to the parks and fill up from the fountains to get around the problem. I've never looked for the fountains on maps but I've usually found that where there is a bathroom on the map, you will also find a fountain there.

BrerGnat
03-23-2010, 03:39 PM
When I'm thirsty, I just want water. I don't care if it's warm or cold, or if it has an "off" taste.

I have no issues with the WDW water from the fountains. I tend to do a lot of asking for "ice" at the CS places, because when the water is cold, its taste is not so obvious.

The fountains are not labeled at WDW, but there is USUALLY one within sight. Just look around.

SteveL
03-24-2010, 11:04 PM
I have found that there are water fountains all over WDW, you really don't have to hunt for them.
I can hack the water from the tap. The exception being when I make coffee in the room. Don't use tap water for coffee or tea - it just won't taste good.

DizneyRox
03-24-2010, 11:47 PM
Is that the water or the coffee? Their coffee in the room ain't nothing to brag about either, we bring our own and use Dasani only. Even the AquaFina tastes like Florida water.

Both are filtered water, I assume bottled locally. Dasani taste a heck of a lot better.

theyoungs07
03-25-2010, 01:22 PM
I've found that if you can get water out of a fountain that is indoors, it is cold most of the time. Just look to refill when you're in waiting areas for rides, inside exhibits like at Epcot...etc.

SteveL
03-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Is that the water or the coffee? Their coffee in the room ain't nothing to brag about either, we bring our own and use Dasani only. Even the AquaFina tastes like Florida water.

Both are filtered water, I assume bottled locally. Dasani taste a heck of a lot better.

Even using great coffee, it is still enough to gag a maggott if you brew it with the tap water.

forever a child
03-25-2010, 08:11 PM
I've found that if you can get water out of a fountain that is indoors, it is cold most of the time. Just look to refill when you're in waiting areas for rides, inside exhibits like at Epcot...etc.

That's a good suggestion! Thanks

Just-Keep-Swimming
03-27-2010, 01:01 AM
:number1:they need to make a talking water fountain!!! (i would gladly operate it!):D

forever a child
03-28-2010, 10:35 AM
:number1:they need to make a talking water fountain!!! (i would gladly operate it!):D

This would be my DD! :blush:
I am not sure where I went wrong...:shrug:

Bubbie Girl
04-02-2010, 06:49 PM
The water tastes bad to me and doesn't agree with me very well:(. I like to make our coffee in the room in the morning and even take 2 gallon jugs of water from home (we drive) to make it with.