PDA

View Full Version : Surprise upgrade advice :)

Volunteer
03-19-2010, 12:10 PM
Good morning all! :mickey:

So, my family is taking a trip to WDW in September (betting on free dining still being offered), it will be myself, my mom, her sister. They think that we will be staying at Coranado Springs, however ... I'm going to pay the difference to upgrade to AKL Pool view as a surprise.:simba:

Anyways, I'm a little concerned because I would love to keep the surprise going up until we exit the Magical Express bus and I say "Oh, surprise we are staying here" if they ask me on the ME bus why we are on a bus that doesnt take us to Cornando Springs, I can always say well the ME counter told us to get on this bus; they must be making a detour or change of route.

But I'm concerned with the surprise being given away by the Magical Express tags, much more so if my aunt meets us at MCO via a different flight. I know that at the Magical Express counter you can give them your bag tags and a description of your bag if you dont put on the Yellow Magical ExpressTag (I could tell them the tags were lost in the mail and they werent required). But does anyone else have expierience or ideas here on how to keep the secret? I've also considered waiting until the last possible second to put the tags on the luggage and hope they dont see the resort name.

THANKS so much in advance! I know i'll get some great ideas (I always do here!) :D

MMFreak
03-19-2010, 12:28 PM
I would be interested in any ideas out there too. This year I am surprising my children with a new resort and I have not told them we are staying at AKL.

I also am hoping for a discounted dining plan :-).

In any case they keep asking me to tell them where we are staying and I say *Nope* :) I figured they would figure it out as soon as we got to DME. We have taken DME so many times they know the routine and will be pretty hard to convince them of a detour or route change since they know the vicinity of all of the resorts.

mjm12000
03-19-2010, 12:36 PM
well there is one option, don't use the tags, you can still use magical express etc and just claim your luggage at MCO, and take your luggage with you on the bus, they will still load it etc... this may not be the best solution if you like the convenience of the luggage tags, but it would keep it a surprise.

DizneyRox
03-19-2010, 01:02 PM
ME will pronably spoil the surprise... Different buses go to different resorts, I'm not sure if AKL shares with Coronado Springs. They are fairly close, but I'm not sure. There IS signage at the ME counter on which line goes to which resorts.

If you're lucky, they are the same bus. The documentation though has the resort on it, baggage tags and I believe the booklet itself with everyone's names.

I would bag ME and rent a limo if you want it to be a surprise up until you arrive at the resort.

Volunteer
03-20-2010, 12:27 PM
thanks for the ideas guys! :mickey:

Mousefever
03-20-2010, 06:36 PM
I told our son that we had a reservation at Boma right after we got there, so we had to take an ME bus there directly from the airport. Worked like a charm!

Amy

MMFreak
03-22-2010, 10:32 AM
This was a great idea. We arrive at 8:30 in the morning so I do not think this will go over so well for me, especially since they know we have a dinner reservation at Boma.

I guess I am just going to have to give it up when we get to ME

I told our son that we had a reservation at Boma right after we got there, so we had to take an ME bus there directly from the airport. Worked like a charm!

Amy

poeticeclipse
03-22-2010, 10:53 AM
While you'll still have to dodge the "tag" issue... as far as the busses go you have the ability to say that the bus makes multiple stops. And they aren't running as many busses so your bus will be making a stop to Coronado as well as AKL. Pop Century and CBR share a bus so it's definitely a good excuse.

There are instances where you don't have to have your DME luggage tags on and they can pluck your bags for you off the carousel as long as your name is tagged on the bags. Try calling DME's line and ask for their expert advice. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to help!